PDA

View Full Version : Lakefront Cleanups

wglawncare
01-30-2006, 01:05 AM
I live in Southeastern Wiscosnin where there are alot of lakefront accounts. I have found that word travels fast when you are doing a quality service. I offer Seaweed Cleaneup to all of my lakefront clients. I was wondering if there was anyone else offering ths service and what kind of things you have come across in terms of methods, rate, other lakefront services. Thanks four everyones time.

lawnman21
03-19-2008, 04:56 PM
I am very interetsted in adding seaweed removal/cleanup to my list of services...how do you run it and what do you charge?

verant
03-19-2008, 05:37 PM
i knew someone that did this, however i don't know how they charged or how they did it. anyways, the seaweed ended up in the back of his truck. I would like to know how to do this.
This thread is old, but hopefully someone will reply

verant
03-19-2008, 06:10 PM
bump..........

Smallaxe
03-19-2008, 10:43 PM
The plastic 'Durafork' is about the best tool for the heavy stuff. A fine tined broom rake is best for final smoothing of subwater surface.
Just scoop it up onto the shore and let it dry. A day or 2 is best , but a couple of hours will suffice. Wheelbarrows work more efficiently than tractor/trailer if you can wheel it up onto the truck.
This is best done in the fall before the ice and muck add extra weight. It can be done anytime though. Charge by the hour because you never know when it is done :)
Maybe they want a Hawaiian beach , but wiil only pay for San Fransisco Bay style. Estimates are way too ambiguous here.

verant
03-19-2008, 10:52 PM
The plastic 'Durafork' is about the best tool for the heavy stuff. A fine tined broom rake is best for final smoothing of subwater surface.
Just scoop it up onto the shore and let it dry. A day or 2 is best , but a couple of hours will suffice. Wheelbarrows work more efficiently than tractor/trailer if you can wheel it up onto the truck.
This is best done in the fall before the ice and muck add extra weight. It can be done anytime though. Charge by the hour because you never know when it is done :)
Maybe they want a Hawaiian beach , but wiil only pay for San Fransisco Bay style. Estimates are way too ambiguous here.

What do u charge per hour for this? it seems like it would be less because ur not using expensive equipment, but then again it is more labor intensive

Smallaxe
03-19-2008, 11:35 PM
It is labor intensive. I charge a the premium hourly wage for this, from the time I get into the truck until I have it unloaded and sitting in my driveway with the first beer :)
Still a great deal for the client.

Exact Rototilling
03-20-2008, 12:05 AM
I live less than 120 yards from the lake edge - I had no idea this service is in demand. Are we talking hip waders and a rake or dry suit etc.

:confused:

verant
03-20-2008, 12:15 AM
in MN, it's prolly just rubber boots and collect it in a big sled and then dump it up on shore to dry out. then in a couple days go pick it up and haul it away. I'm thinking about advertising for this also, not sure yet. it's a lot of work. i would have to charge a minimum of $35 per hour i think. where i live there are tons of lakes and people have to clean up their shore of reeds, sticks, and weeds in the spring

Smallaxe
03-20-2008, 08:22 AM
I tried the floating barge for bringing in muck that was further off shore and that did not work well, but it did help some. Usually I rake everything to the shore and toss it out with a durafork. I would definately NOT advertise until you become proficient at it. Raking water is like moving all the noodles to one side in a bowl of soup.
Cleaning up the shore of leaves and annual debris that can just be tossed out and hauled away is quick and simple, compared to muck a little ways off shore.

The first thing is to find out what the regulations are on your waterways. Here we can remove 100 cu. ft. of muck per calendar year. There is also a judge's decision that says 30' off shore.

lawnman21
03-20-2008, 11:43 AM
What do you do with the seaweed once you have it on the truck? Take it to a dump or compost it and use it in something else?

verant
03-20-2008, 12:24 PM
prolly just dump it on a compost pile i usuallly dump at