PDA

View Full Version : Are roof vents necessary?

PLS-Tx
01-30-2006, 02:22 AM
I planning on getting an encolsed trailer, and I want to put it under my carport. The problem is I don't think it will fit with the roof vent.

I could leave off the roof vent, and get side vents, or I could raise my carport enough so it would fit with the roof vent.

What would you do?

GarPA
01-30-2006, 03:52 AM
It gets over a hundred degrees in my trailer when its real hot in summer. The roof vent does help a bit and I think you'll be sorry if you dont have a vent.
Heat rises so if you can get a side vent near the top of the trailer that might work ok although I dont remember every seeing a side vent up high. Most side vents I see are down low and I assume thats for allowing fuel vapors to vent

PLS-Tx
01-30-2006, 10:55 AM
It gets over a hundred degrees in my trailer when its real hot in summer. The roof vent does help a bit and I think you'll be sorry if you dont have a vent.
Heat rises so if you can get a side vent near the top of the trailer that might work ok although I dont remember every seeing a side vent up high. Most side vents I see are down low and I assume thats for allowing fuel vapors to vent

I am concerned about the heat and not having a roof vent.

The side vents are mounted with one on one side up high, and the other on the other side down low. Down here it gets 100 degrees or more, and I'm thinking the side vents will not be enough ventilation. They also push air through when your moving, and don't do a lot while your sitting still.

I guess my best bet would be to raise my carport. :cry:

GarPA
01-30-2006, 06:56 PM
TAC...I dont know how you people do this kind of work in Texas and Florida. My hat is off to you people. "Real Men" I suppose....

Dont give up on your thread here.While far fewer guys have enclosed trlrs, many do, so keep pushing your thread here until you get a few replies from people in your southern zone. My trailer also has a fan in the roof vent. It runs if switch is on and key in truck is on. While its a small fan it does indeed move the hot air out a little more quickly than just having the vent wide open. I didnt notice that you were in Texas so knowing that, you for sure need as much ventilation back there as possible and remember that when you drive an air cooled (hot as hell engine) in there, it gets even hotter. Sometimes I wonder why things dont catch on fire back there some days.
Enclosed trailers have their pros and cons, but I love them....except for banging shins and other body parts, and the heat.

Eclipse
01-30-2006, 07:30 PM
My last trailer had no vents. Up here in Michigan it was not a huge deal but my next trailer will have a couple vents.

Personally I do not want a roof vent. If you leave them open while driving down the road they take a beating. Also many of the better quality new trailers have a one piece roof and it may or may not be a big deal but I don't want a hole in the middle of my new one piece roof.

I have decided to have a pair of side vents installed on each side of the trailer.

lawnmaniac883
01-30-2006, 08:48 PM
I met a fella about two years ago down here, he had a 8.5X22 enclosed trailer. Two roof vents AND side vents. I was doing some community type work with him and without those vents, I dont know how you would survive. When it is 106 in the shade, ya better have some vents.

riches139
01-30-2006, 09:34 PM
Lower the tire pressure.:cry:
or
Dig two trenches for the tires.:blob4:
Might be easier than raising the carport.

Definately need ventilation of some sort.
Not only for the heat, but also for the fumes.

PLS-Tx
01-31-2006, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the help,

GarPA, It does get very hot here in the summer, you just learn to drink lots of water and Gatoraid, and soak up the A/C when you get home. Did your trailer come with those fans or did you add them after you got it.

PLS-Tx
01-31-2006, 12:24 AM
Lower the tire pressure.:cry:
or
Dig two trenches for the tires.:blob4:
Might be easier than raising the carport.

Definately need ventilation of some sort.
Not only for the heat, but also for the fumes.

I sure don't want to raise my carport, but I don't think I can dig trenches in concrete. :eek:

Good point about the fumes, I think the side vents only work when the trailer is moving. I want to be sure It has good ventaltion when it's parked next to my house.

:cry: :cry: I guess I'll be raising the carport. :cry: :cry:

GarPA
01-31-2006, 05:07 AM
TAC..the small fan is built right into the roof vent structure

lawnmaniac883
01-31-2006, 07:45 PM
I sure don't want to raise my carport, but I don't think I can dig trenches in concrete. :eek:

Good point about the fumes, I think the side vents only work when the trailer is moving. I want to be sure It has good ventaltion when it's parked next to my house.

:cry: :cry: I guess I'll be raising the carport. :cry: :cry:

Can you say concrete saw :blob4: :drinkup: :blob4: :drinkup: :blob4:

Justcutitshort
01-31-2006, 08:33 PM
I am concerned about the heat and not having a roof vent.

:

Get the vents, Id put in two of them. It gets really hot especially when you load 2 or 3 hot mowers back in the trailer.

nobagger
01-31-2006, 08:42 PM
I think you would be foolish not to get one, even if you have to put it on. They aren't that hard to do. But the heat and fumes (if you have some spilled fuel) may be overwhelming when you open the doors.

PLS-Tx
01-31-2006, 10:32 PM
I think I may have solved my problem. I looked at the specs on Pace and Haulmark, Pace is 5" less on the overall height. Pace is 98", Haulmark is 103", I think the pace will fit without having to raise my carport.

Only thing I don't understand is they are both 6'6" interior height. Why 5" difference on the overall height? Maybe I'm missing something.

Bad thing is if I get the Pace, I'll have to wait 4-6 weeks, the Haulmark I could have in 2 weeks or less.

PLS-Tx
02-01-2006, 08:04 PM
My last trailer had no vents. Up here in Michigan it was not a huge deal but my next trailer will have a couple vents.

Personally I do not want a roof vent. If you leave them open while driving down the road they take a beating. Also many of the better quality new trailers have a one piece roof and it may or may not be a big deal but I don't want a hole in the middle of my new one piece roof.

I have decided to have a pair of side vents installed on each side of the trailer.

So you are going to get 4 side vents, and no roof vents?

Do you feel like this will be enough ventilation for gas fumes?

Eclipse
02-01-2006, 08:12 PM
So you are going to get 4 side vents, and no roof vents?

Do you feel like this will be enough ventilation for gas fumes?

I think 4 side vents will move enough air though the trailer without a problem\ especially if there is a slight breeze.

My last trailer did not have any vents and the fumes were not the big of an issue.

BTW - I went and looked at Interstate trailers today and I am very glad I did. I will post a new thread with info.

PLS-Tx
02-01-2006, 08:21 PM
I think 4 side vents will move enough air though the trailer without a problem\ especially if there is a slight breeze.

My last trailer did not have any vents and the fumes were not the big of an issue.

BTW - I went and looked at Interstate trailers today and I am very glad I did. I will post a new thread with info.

I talked to the Pace dealer today, and he said roof vents are a bad idea. He says you have to worry about tearing them up on a tree limb or something.

This has been a concern of mine, and I think you mentioned it. I don't want to always have to worry about forgeting to put them down before I drive off.

He is also telling me that 4 side vents would be overkill, I don't know if I agree with that. I would think 4, 2 each side would be a good idea.

PLS-Tx
02-01-2006, 08:35 PM
Anyone else have any input on this. I'm sure roof vents help with the heat, but do they help enough to always be putting them up and down.

Btw, I don't do any really large jobs where I would be parked all day, or even half a day. I do a lot of moving from job to job.

Eclipse
02-01-2006, 09:37 PM
They do have a large protective cover you can put over your roof vent so you don't have to worry about putting it up and down.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
02-01-2006, 09:49 PM
I'd want the vents...getting the heat out will also help dry out the trailer when damp inside and thats good for both the equipment and trailer....I have an extra high trailer and as of yet havnt had a problem with a tree....

PLS-Tx
02-02-2006, 12:15 AM
They do have a large protective cover you can put over your roof vent so you don't have to worry about putting it up and down.

Your right, we have 2 of them on our RV, they work great, you can leave the vents open while it's raining without rain getting in the trailer.

Problem is, there is no way I could put an enclosed trailer under my carport with the cover on the vents.

Btw, the cover is called a Maxair, and they cost about $30 or so. If it wasn't for my carport I would get 2 roof vents with the covers on them.

Eclipse
02-02-2006, 12:26 AM
Sorry, forgot about the carport issue :)

PLS-Tx
02-02-2006, 01:02 AM
Does anyone know how high a roof vent is on the top of an enclosed trailer?

The trailer I'm looking at is 98-99" high, and my carport has about 104 1/2' clearance.

GarPA
02-02-2006, 05:30 AM
Yes you can easily forget the vent is open and have the lid get snapped off by a tree limb....as mine is right now. But in 5 years I only backed into a tree limb once and that was because one of my worker bees insists on cranking the damn thing all the way open which I've told him numerous times is not necessary. If I were you I'd keep trying to get more feebdack on whether side vents only will give you enough air circulation. You need to hear from people who have only side vents and not from us who "think" the side vents will be adequate.

and re: leaving it open in the rain, aside from it being cranked wide open, mine has been open in windy thunderstorms and no rain got in at all. This is only an issue if its cranked all the way open (at least on mine thats how it is) Mine is a Southwest that I think is now owned by United Trailers

PLS-Tx
02-03-2006, 01:57 AM
Well I did order my trailer today and I got 2 roof vents and 2 side flow thru vents.

The dealer said if I change my mind about the roof vents I could take them off within a week of ordering.

Dealer says roof vents are no good, he says they ger damaged to easy.

Sure would like some imput on this.

work_it
02-03-2006, 02:13 AM
Even if you have a trailer without any vents it's not that hard to install them. Options to consider would be louvered side vents with a screen under them (to keep bugs out). Easy mount with rivits and calk to seal them. Another option would be to buy some sliding windows (one on each side). A little more work to install them, but still not that major of a job. Or use a combination of the two by putting a sliding window in the front and louvered vents on the side which would optimize airflow while driving.

br549oicu8
02-03-2006, 09:46 AM
I think you are smart to have the roof vents in the enclosed trailer. Sure, you might have to remember to close your vents but that is just part of the convenience of having a rolling garage.
I have 2 enclosed trailers, a 16' and 18' and the crews using them love them.
The other crew leader is just stuck on open trailers so he uses a 22' open with side and rear ramps.
The side vents are primarily for moving down the road and ventilating as you go. They won't really help you sitting still so the roof vents are an excellent compliment to them.
Good luck with you new trailer!!!

JS Landscaping
02-03-2006, 11:04 AM
I say install both, the side and roof vents. When the fumes from gasonline build up and if there is a spark the results could be disasterous. I feel I rather be bothered by having to open and close my roof vents, which takes all of 30 seconds to do, then have my trailer, truck, and all my mowers and other equipment burn up on a hot summer day becuase the combusitble gasses didnt escape. It has happened before, seen pictures of enclosed trailers that have burst into flames because of improper ventilation. Also I believe in NYS you have to have your enclosed trailer vented, not sure though. I would also check with your state DMV for regulations as well. We have to carry triangles, fire extinguishers and flares when towing a trailer with equipment....best of luck on your purchase, make sure you get it lettered up. I had mine lettered up and the return on the rolling billboard advertizing has been great....Have a great day!

James
JS LANDSCAPING

PLS-Tx
02-04-2006, 03:30 AM
I'm going to get the 2 roof and 2 side vents.

I hope it fits under my carport.

trailer is 99" + vents 3 1/2"
carport is 104 1/2"

WILL IT FIT?

2" less, and the trailer might sit down a little lower when it's loaded, about 3000-3500# going in it.

Tell me what you think???????????

work_it
02-04-2006, 04:09 PM
Take into consideration that I haven't seen the construction of your carport. From what I've seen of most carports it wouldn't be that hard to raise the supports/cross members so they're out of the way.

PLS-Tx
02-04-2006, 08:29 PM
Take into consideration that I haven't seen the construction of your carport. From what I've seen of most carports it wouldn't be that hard to raise the supports/cross members so they're out of the way.

Unfornately, my carport will be more difficult to raise than most. I'm hoping I won't have to raise it at all, I'm going to wait until my trailer comes in and see. I did have someone look at it, and they said it could be raised.