PDA

View Full Version : You just can't kill a toyota

Dirty Water
01-30-2006, 02:35 AM
Water, Fire and wrecking balls, Top Gear tries to get a '80s Toyota Pickup to stop running:

http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=15438

Granted I don't think a gasser would run that long, but this video shows the reliability of the '80s Toyota pickups.

300,000 on the clock is just breaking those trucks in.

MTR
01-30-2006, 01:29 PM
Water, Fire and wrecking balls, Top Gear tries to get a '80s Toyota Pickup to stop running:

http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=15438

Granted I don't think a gasser would run that long, but this video shows the reliability of the '80s Toyota pickups.

300,000 on the clock is just breaking those trucks in.

It has 2.4 D, it is diesel engine cause in Asia, gas price is ridiculous and most of engine are popular at 2.4-3.0 litre size. Look it has right side steering wheel. You don't use 4.0 or 5.4 kind a engine outside USA, cause you can't afford them. Hilux = Tacoma

lawnboy dan
01-30-2006, 02:13 PM
my 83 22r has 300,000 on original engine and trans

tcls83
01-30-2006, 02:42 PM
Yeah, Ive seen that video before, pretty cool, they seem like tough little buggers. Wonder if an old chevy could take the same abuse, could be possible.

Lawn Masters
01-30-2006, 02:45 PM
I dunno, those old toyotas were built to last forever, and take a lot of abuse. of course, so were the ranger 2.0/2.3 motors too.

HighGrass
01-30-2006, 06:25 PM
About four years ago I started noticing a guy with a Toyota pick-up pulling a 14' trailer LOADED! I mean 2 ZTR's, trimmers, gas, saw, the works. Every year I pass him a few times and always smile and wave. I don't know my Toyotas that well (year wise) to look at them, but I would say it's gotta be about 10 years old. The times that I've seen him, I never see it burning oil or laboring. Pretty impressive.

mcwlandscaping
01-30-2006, 06:30 PM
I saw that on TV when i aired, that was awsome to watch. Anyone know if Discovery pulled that show off the lineup or what happened to it??

lawnboy dan
01-30-2006, 08:31 PM
that toyota pulling a 14 foot trailer has to have the v6 in it. no way a 4 could do that. i also had a old ranger with that 2.3 in it. the truck fell apart around the engine. in fact its still running today. that engine is left over from the pinto!

kc2006
01-30-2006, 08:50 PM
Ching Chang Chong......opps wait thought we were in China for a second. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:gunsfirin toyota

lol sorry I had to. Need to get some action goin here!

Dirty Water
01-30-2006, 08:56 PM
Kc, you mean Japan???

I'd like to see a Chevy S-10 and Ford Ranger of the same era take that abuse.

Jason Rose
01-30-2006, 09:05 PM
LMAO!!!

I too have seen toyotas that have outlasted time itself.

Maybe I'll just sell my new Dodge and find a mid 80's Toy to pull my 20' trailer! throw my dump bed on it too, lol!

zim bob the landscaper
01-30-2006, 09:34 PM
LMAO!!!

I too have seen toyotas that have outlasted time itself.

Maybe I'll just sell my new Dodge and find a mid 80's Toy to pull my 20' trailer! throw my dump bed on it too, lol!
ya wonder how long it wil last pulling a trailere and a dumpbed on it i think it would last a week.

kc2006
01-30-2006, 09:35 PM
yea wherever they're from. Jap sh!t from either countries.

We have a GM plant here, I support American companies because if they go under, I'd loose business due to all the other local companies that would be effected.

But like I said, i just wanted to stir the poo :D don't take what I say seriously...serious.

hosejockey2002
01-30-2006, 09:40 PM
I wish you could still buy a truck like that, one made for work, not the bloated, cushy sissy trucks that Toyota sells now.

kc2006
01-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Oh and by the way. My friends and I all used to have s10's back in the day, there were 4 of us we were close friends. I had an 88, they had a 89, 91, 92. We beat the snot out of those trucks! I mean we used to ramp them, take them where 2wd s10s with crappy tires shouldn't of went, barried the 92 in mud and a pond one time. They all sold the s10's, my friend with the 92 still had his up until last year, I still have my 88, nice 4cyl 5 speed truck, runs like a charm with 180,000 miles on it. I was driving it this fall when I had the leaf box on my ford, but one day some female in front of me decided she forgot where she lived so at 50mph she slammed on the brakes, I tried to stop but decided going through some yards would be better then her trunk. Jumped a 10 foot wide ditch and drifted through 3 yards swerving arounds trees. Fun ride really. But it pushed the bumper up alittle thus pushing the fender to the door. Still good to go just I haven't realigned it all yet.

I can't complain about s10's.

Jason Rose
01-30-2006, 09:43 PM
ya wonder how long it will last pulling a trailer and a dumpbed on it i think it would last a week.

I agree! I was J/K anyway...

I have a friend that has a little Tacoma, it's a '98 with a 4 cyl, and a 5 speed. That poor little thng can't handle any weight in the bed! Plus, those little pick-ups are death traps if it gets slick! I cringe any time I see some girls parents thinking about buying her a "little truck". I try to interject just how DANGEROUS those little trucks are to inexperienced drivers! All it takes is a dirt road and too much speed and BOOM dead.

Jason Rose
01-30-2006, 09:47 PM
Oh and by the way. My friends and I all used to have s10's back in the day, there were 4 of us we were close friends. I had an 88, they had a 89, 91, 92. We beat the snot out of those trucks! I mean we used to ramp them, take them where 2wd s10s with crappy tires shouldn't of went, barried the 92 in mud and a pond one time. They all sold the s10's, my friend with the 92 still had his up until last year, I still have my 88, nice 4cyl 5 speed truck, runs like a charm with 180,000 miles on it. I was driving it this fall when I had the leaf box on my ford, but one day some female in front of me decided she forgot where she lived so at 50mph she slammed on the brakes, I tried to stop but decided going through some yards would be better then her trunk. Jumped a 10 foot wide ditch and drifted through 3 yards swerving arounds trees. Fun ride really. But it pushed the bumper up alittle thus pushing the fender to the door. Still good to go just I haven't realigned it all yet.

I can't complain about s10's.

I had a friend that had a '92 S-10. He had it around for a while after he bought a new truck and I used it off and on when mine was in the shop. I liked that little thing! It was a manual trans. but easy to drive. I should have bought it off of him... He sold it to his dad who drove it for 4 more years and finally blew up the transmission. He traded it off 'as-is' and bought a new car. My problem is, I'm 6'4" tall! Fitting me into a little vehicle isn't much fun...

tcls83
01-31-2006, 10:41 AM
I wonder if they still build a bulletproof Toyota Truck like they did in the 80's. Seems like when a manufacturer builds a car that happens to be bulletproof they'll redesign it to eventually break after a certain amount of miles. (Obsolesence Engineering- don't know if its the correct name.) So that way when the car is totally out of commission you go right back to the dealer ship to buy a brand new one so they can make $$$.

I've heard that late 80's early 90's Ford Tauruses were very obsolesence engineered. I was told by a couple of guys who repair them that the gear on the main shaft in the tranny, or whatever the proper name is, have real small teeth so that you can only get 100,000 max miles out of them.

Old 80's Volvo's were known to be real bulletproof- I've known people who have gone 350,000+ miles with them, and they continue to drive them today because they've owned newer ones and they told me that they weren't built to handle the abuse like an old one could.