PDA

View Full Version : Natural mortared stone

neversatisfiedj
01-30-2006, 04:05 PM
Anyone done a natural mortared stone retaining wall ? I have a job to look at and that is what he wants. I will try to talk him into SRW. We will see.

PAPS Landscape Design
01-30-2006, 04:07 PM
yes, they're a lot of work. you'll have to concrete footing, then next with a cinder block ret. wall, then finally veneer that cinder block wall with your natural stone... this is all depending on how big this wall is... very labor intense, and most natural stone is pretty costly..

MarcusLndscp
01-30-2006, 06:28 PM
Yes, we do them all day every day. When you find out project specifics let me know and I will help you with your specific application. If you're going to see the site sometimes pics help us on here too.

treedoc1
01-30-2006, 07:42 PM
If the client likes natural stone I'd be happy to calculate the amount necessary, give you some techniques, sell you and deliver the stone from my quarry location.

Not really necessary to build a cinder block wall and veneer.

There are plenty of pics on the site that show my product and its application.

PM me if you have any interest.

Good luck

Jim

PAPS Landscape Design
01-30-2006, 09:50 PM
No nec. to build a cinder block wall and veneer? really? what bout if that wall is 6,7,8 ft tall then what?

vntgrcr
01-30-2006, 09:54 PM
Is he looking for something along these lines. I just finished this one and could give you some tips if you want.
David

MarcusLndscp
01-30-2006, 10:32 PM
No nec. to build a cinder block wall and veneer? really? what bout if that wall is 6,7,8 ft tall then what?

PAPS I think TreeDoc is simply stating that the wall could be dry laid as well. Like I said the guy will have to give some specifics to what the job is all about before we say anything in regards to its construction. Of course a veneer is going to go onto some kind of a solid surface like a poured wall, block wall, or the side of a house but most times in a landscape situation an aggregate base and a dry laid wall with drainage is more than adequate. Let's give the guy a chance to see the job and tell us what it's about.

treedoc1
01-31-2006, 07:51 AM
True. Think about all the SRW projects that you see. Alll are dry laid and depend on friction of the wall and grid to hold up against the shear forces of the slope.

Because I have a source of natural materials, I find it faster to build entirely of the natural stone instead of first building a cinder block wall then in essence another wall in front of it. The footer on a retaining wall is a little more specialized and must contain a "woven" rebar inside to help hold and provide a front lip to overcome the shear forces of the slope. Maybe you have seen "jersey walls" before they are poured in place and the network of rebar.

This wall is all natural mortared and is over 6' tall. clean 57's and drainage is also behind the wall like normal.

kris
01-31-2006, 09:02 AM
I really like that wall! :drinkup:

Grn Mtn
01-31-2006, 11:06 AM
I too like that wall, this was my first attempt at dry stacked:

DVS Hardscaper
01-31-2006, 01:21 PM
There are many different ways for building a mortared wall. All of them acceptable.

But if you do not have experience, or most importantly - an EYE for stone work, then I suggest you sub out the stone work to a stone mason.

Try doing some stone work at your house first. Its an art. And thats why homeowners go with it over segmental block.

sheshovel
01-31-2006, 09:37 PM
I really like all three of those walls........gosh treedoc..
your work is soooo nice and tight!
Those all look great.