PDA

View Full Version : Dealer gave wrong info... What to do?

Jason Rose
01-30-2006, 08:40 PM
Ok, what would you do if your dealer tells you a machine has a 13 horsepower engine on it, it's a Kawasaki so it just has their number on it in cu. in. which didn't mean much to me, I didn't have a conversion chart and he TOLD me it was a 13 hp.

I wasn't thrilled with 13, but I knew for a 36" cut it should be ok. We made a deal on it, his shop had totally serviced it but hadn't cleaned it up yet. He was asking $3,500 but I was able to give $3,000. (but I had to "clean it up" It wasn't that dirty, but I still washed it totally, I don't want someone else's grime on it! lol.

So I'm going over it and I see the plate that specs the weight, deck size, and horsepower. It says 11! Okaaay... I thought maybe the engine had been replaced... It's an FE-350, which specs out to a 11.1 hp.

So I get an 'F' for doing my research I guess...:sleeping: But I never dreamed that the engine horsepower would be misquoted to me! If someone tells you 13 and they sell those machines for a living I tend to think they know their stuff...

I guess I forgot to mention, this is the Walker I was looking at last week... Today was the first time I got to see it and I bought it. I did run it around in the lot, I ran it into their lawn and ran the blades on an off several times. It Seems to have plenty of power, but there's no way to test it on real grass! :cry: It has 615 hours and is a really clean little machine. But now I'm troubled that this engine is going to be so underpowered...

Do I call him on it? If so what do I ask for? I'm sure he'll offer for me to return it and give me a refund, but I wonder if he'd knock off some more on the price instead? I can replace the engine if it goes, that's bound to happen whether it's a 11 or 13hp. I know those smaller engines just don't last the hours the larger twins do.

mattfromNY
01-30-2006, 08:52 PM
just surfin' and saw your post... ask him ( if he wont knock some $$ off), maybe he can at least give you a tune up kit or something. He'll work with you if he wants to keep good with you.

mkwl
01-30-2006, 08:58 PM
Jeez, 11HP for a 36" cut Walker rider, WAY underpowered! I have a 11HP Snapper rider with an 11HP Briggs, and it has trouble with grass taller than 5". I would definitely make him knock some off the price! :nono:

Jpocket
01-30-2006, 09:07 PM
Have you use it? Does it have enough power? If it doesn't struggle under normal conditions I wouldn't worry about it.

out4now
01-30-2006, 09:11 PM
I would at least try and get the price knocked down a bit. As they say "caveat emptor"

Jason Rose
01-30-2006, 09:29 PM
Jeez, 11HP for a 36" cut Walker rider, WAY underpowered! I have a 11HP Snapper rider with an 11HP Briggs, and it has trouble with grass taller than 5". I would definitely make him knock some off the price! :nono:

Of course you have to remember the difference in torque between a briggs and a Kawi. is enough to make a marked difference. Pre. 1997 the Walker model S had a 11hp briggs on it. Yes those were Trouble! Briggs engines just don't hold up if you put them under load for long times.

I'm still not happy about this... But finding a 36" walker is nearly impossible!

cantoo
01-30-2006, 10:08 PM
Nitrous anyone?

Jason Rose
01-30-2006, 10:24 PM
Nitrous anyone?

Geeee, I don't know WHY my engine exploded or why my a$$ is on FIRE!! lol!

kc2006
01-30-2006, 10:40 PM
Just remember to pull 2 degrees of timing for every 50hp you spray and supplement fuel :D

I'd be pretty mad about that. Walkers are crazy mowers, that a big a$$ mower yet a pp little deck and a tiny 11hp engine. I personally wouldnt think 11hp would be enough, my 48" walkbehind has a 15hp engine and I'd at times would like 17hp......I'm hp hungry.

NEUSWEDE
01-31-2006, 12:36 PM
I would call them on it. I just got a 20HP for a 48" deck and I think it is perfect so for a 36 I would want atleast 13. How many hours are on the whole thing? Walkers are big money but there are steals to be had I got lucky on mine!
Good Luck and tell us how you make out.

geogunn
01-31-2006, 12:57 PM
JASON--why should the dealer give you any money back since the deal is already done?

however, he probably ought to let you return it if you are unhappy.

GEO :)

Jason Rose
01-31-2006, 04:16 PM
Well I called my dealer this morning and pointed out the horsepower discrepency, It's a 50 minute drive so a phone call is much more reasonable. I told him that after going over it good and giving it a cleaning and greasing I noticed that the engine was the 11 hp not the 13 and that according to walker the 13's didn't come on those models till 2003. He said he was sorry, that he just got mixed up on that and forgot. He told me to just keep it till spring since there isn't any good way to really trial it now. Once spring gets here and I start cutting with it, if it's lacking power he said I could bring it back then and we'd "work something out".

Truth be known they had 11hp engines on those for YEARS. Started off as 9hp briggs, then went to 11hp briggs till 1997 and it changed to the 11hp kawi till 2003. The only reason it isn't still 11hp kawi is because that engine couldn't get thru the EPA standards but the 13's do so that's why they swiched.

I tried it out today, as best I could on my home lawn. I never once even heard the engine struggle and I was cutting 1 1/2 inches and thru some pretty tough dormant bermuda toward the end and was driving almost wide open. I can engage the blades fast with the engine at an idle and it dosn't even stutter.

Only had one issue with a saftey switch that was not working when it got warmed up, one that contacts the blade control lever that kills the engine. It started sputtering and spitting but only with the blade handle engaged all the way. Fixed that by just unplugging that switch, but now the blades will run without being on the seat (just like all my other mowers). That, and I found out that my fill alarm dosn't work. I have the book so I saw in there what to do to troubleshoot to see if it's the horn or the switch that's not working. Everything else works 100% perfect. I still think they are waaaaay overpriced!

Oldtimer
02-01-2006, 07:54 AM
The 11hp Kawasaki will work just fine and the price paid for the mower was certainly right.

They had just quit using the 10hp Honda and replaced it with the 11hp Briggs when I purchased my first Walker in 1984. I was one of the first LCOs in Pensacola to own a Walker and it was certainly worth the $4100 00 price.

Oldtimer