PDA

View Full Version : well i bought the gravely

snapper
01-31-2006, 12:15 AM
so far i like it. A bit heavier than i was expecting. It is a 2003 and looks like it hasnt had the belt pulley upgrade, so that is first to get updated by the dealer. It works pretty good right now, but the adjustments arent to what the book says, so i got to get the kit first. Everything else looks pretty good, the deck is just dirty blades are still razor sharp. So right now i am happy with it, well know more after i get to run it soem more. Oh yea then i noticed it had champion j19lm plugs in it. Looks like i will have to run by the dealer and make him get me a set of the right plugs.. Anybody know the difference in a j19lm and a rcj8y? I know the rcj8y is an extended tip plug, and proably a tad cooler, but not sure. Any ideas why it would j19lms in it? Well guys thanks for all the replies to my various questions. I hope i made a good desicion on this and it doesnt come back to me. I will keep ya updated on how it does..

later chris

Mowingman
01-31-2006, 08:41 AM
Have your dealer check your serial number and see if it is one listed in the service letter about the pulley upgrade kit. No since buying the kit if yours is not one that needs it. He can get that info. from the Gravely dealer website.
Or, post your s/n here, or PM it to me, and I will look it up for you. I just need the model number,(starts with a 9), and the S/N. Also, ther is a chance yours has already been upgraded under warranty. If it was done under warranty, I believe any dealer can also look that up on the dealer website.

BSDeality
01-31-2006, 12:11 PM
what model did you get?

snapper
02-01-2006, 11:30 PM
well i got to mow with it yesterday and lets just say i wasnt happy. I adjusted for proably an hour and got it better, but sheesh still couldnt control it good. So i went and talked to the dealer this morning. And i decided to spend 300 bucks and get a brand new 05 48" pro-g pistol grip. It is night and day difference and i can actually control this one. I know alot of people hate pistol grips but i dont mind them or use them enough hours a day to be bothered by it. I dont know if it was just the one i had or what but i am now turned off by the belt pro-steer.. On another note, i finally figured out where the hours on that mower came from. It was taken to the louisville lawn garden show.. So any way i am alot happier tonight and glad i changed, dont think i could of ever been happy with the pro-steer. So after i use it some more i will report...

later chris

SWD
02-02-2006, 09:03 AM
Pro-steers take a bit of getting used to - typically much more than an hour and a half. I allow new operates an eight full hours of operation, with the necessary explanations, before I will pull them off of the mower if they can not mow correctly.
However, once you are used to it, the Pro-steer is much less fatiguing to operate than a pistol grip.
I have two pro-steer machines and one pistol grip, the crew inevitably takes the two 'steers' because the fence lines and concrete homes here hurt.
I completed a time/labor study between the two machines, similar horsepower, same deck size, and the pro-steer requires 2/3 less trimming than a pistol grip.

geogunn
02-02-2006, 09:07 AM
did you get it at L&M ?

GEO

snapper
02-02-2006, 11:13 AM
yea, the only dealer close. He was pretty good to work with. I think there were other problems with that pro-steer model. For one it was a very early made model, second i dont think the belts had been upgraded and i know it wasnt adjusted any where near correct. So if i ever get to try one again that is newer it might be a whole different ballgame. I know alot of people bash pistol grips but that is what i am use to and comfortable with. Not to mention i am sleeping better knowing it will work right and that i am the first person to play with it. I dont think i ever would of been happy with it and would of regreted it from now on. I will say i would defineately buy again from him, he was very nice to deal with...

later chris

ToroLandscaper
02-02-2006, 05:06 PM
yea, the only dealer close. He was pretty good to work with. I think there were other problems with that pro-steer model. For one it was a very early made model, second i dont think the belts had been upgraded and i know it wasnt adjusted any where near correct. So if i ever get to try one again that is newer it might be a whole different ballgame. I know alot of people bash pistol grips but that is what i am use to and comfortable with. Not to mention i am sleeping better knowing it will work right and that i am the first person to play with it. I dont think i ever would of been happy with it and would of regreted it from now on. I will say i would defineately buy again from him, he was very nice to deal with...

later chris

What dealer are you using?

snapper
02-02-2006, 07:40 PM
the only one in knoxville. l&m on john sevier highway