PDA

View Full Version : Pushing sh...Sand uphill

Squizzy246B
01-31-2006, 08:09 AM
I've just been asked to quote on job that nobody else in town wants. Its one of the jobs we have a rep for ...high pucker factor, crap access (probably needs a helicopter) and plenty of logistic problems. I really screwed up and didn't take my camera but basically its a 3 terraced/tiered walls with a swimming pool at the top.

Total height is 18 feet. The lowest wall is 4 foot off the road and it belongs to the city. It is full of cracks and needs replacing but thats not in my scope of works. The first terrace sits back 7 feet (room for a mini-ex) and the second wall is cracked and falling away. Its about 8 foot high at the highest. Above that is a pitched motared stone retainer leading up to some piers and fencing around the pool. Don't ask me what is holding the piers up there but 2 have already fallen down.

A look at the pavers around the pool shows they have slipped already with 1" gaps between them. The whole lot is perched on the side of a sandhill and as per usual compaction (lack thereof) is the problem...as well as crap stone work in the first place.

Its all out of hand and quarry cut natural limestone, some sandstone and it has had various add on's and bodgey repairs over the years. The wall continues on around and up the hill forming the boundary of the neighbours property so I have to renew in the same material and style. SRW is not an option.

There is no option but to tear it down and start over. I intend (subject to engineering approval) not to renew the pitched wall (top) part but to rebuild the second wall up to full height, thus adding about 30 y2 of useable area to the clients property.

The only problem is backfilling the wall. There is NO opportunity to fill from the top. I calculate I will need about 35 cubic yards. I can't use a big ex because I have nowhere to stockpile and dig from and it would need to be 35 tonne machine to reach. Plus there is knacker all room at the road verge and we are talking a well heeled suburb. The roads are made of pavers and the country club is down the road (Squizzy rolls up in old rusty ford:) amongst the BMW's and Mercedes).

The best method I can think of is to park our 9 tonne dump truck (full of sand) against the lowest wall and run a dirt/gravel conveyor up over the the back of the second wall from the back of the truck. Can anybody else think of a method of slinging 35 yards of fill over the back of an 18 foot high wall??.

Yes I will post some pic's if my quote does good.

JeffY
01-31-2006, 08:30 AM
Check into one of these. Some rental sites have them, some don't. http://www.superstoneslinger.com/

Squizzy246B
01-31-2006, 08:42 AM
Great piece of machinery. Haven't seen one for rental here yet but I'm looking around.

cgland
01-31-2006, 02:25 PM
Squiz - Do you guys have Extendable loaders down there? Like a Gradall or the like? We used on on a big stone job. We threw a bucket on the front and placed the stone on the hill and raked from there. I think the reach was like 26-30 feet or so.

Chris

treedoc1
01-31-2006, 04:43 PM
I have one of these and it will easily handle your problem.

They even have an Aussie website.

http://www.newholland.com/au/lm.htm

Squizzy246B
01-31-2006, 04:58 PM
Ok, a Manitou with a bucket. Load straight out of the back of our truck and up over the wall. Great idea, and why didn't I think of that?.

cgland
01-31-2006, 05:16 PM
Telehandler! That's what I was talking about!

Chris

UNISCAPER
01-31-2006, 06:43 PM
A TH103 Cat has a 60' reach and can carry 4000 lbs at 35' away from the machine. You can get them with buckets and or forks. Other than that, find an old crane laying around and buy it, then auction it off when you are done with the job.

Squizzy246B
01-31-2006, 11:10 PM
A TH103 Cat has a 60' reach and can carry 4000 lbs at 35' away from the machine. You can get them with buckets and or forks. Other than that, find an old crane laying around and buy it, then auction it off when you are done with the job.

Yup, My next call is to Cat rental...can't believe I didn't think of that...with all the other dramas this job presents I can't fathom why I wasn't straight onto it. Must have been out in the sun too much...you guys remember the sun don't you???

cgland
01-31-2006, 11:19 PM
We know you Aussies aren't the sharpest!:p Too many Fosters in the hot sun. lol

Chris

Squizzy246B
01-31-2006, 11:28 PM
We know you Aussies aren't the sharpest!:p Too many Fosters in the hot sun. lol

Chris

Fosters???...don't you know that nobody in their right mind down here will drink Fosters..Blurrrk! Horrible stuff....we have other names for it I can't state on this forum.

Coopers Pale Ale...Yummy. http://www.coopers.com.au/

UNISCAPER
02-01-2006, 09:09 AM
The universal beer known the world over is Hacker Pschoor Weisse. Squeeze a lemon, drink.

PurpHaze
02-01-2006, 09:13 PM
Ok, a Manitou with a bucket. Load straight out of the back of our truck and up over the wall. Great idea, and why didn't I think of that?.

Because they were speaking in US English and you were listening in Aussie English??? :p

sheshovel
02-01-2006, 10:01 PM
Squizzy...please take pics if you get the job K?

PurpHaze
02-01-2006, 10:06 PM
You do know that his pics will be upside down though. :rolleyes:

Dirty Water
02-01-2006, 10:56 PM
I thought you all knew that Fosters was the beer the Australians didn't find fit to drink, so they ship it here for us stupid yanks to buy at higher prices because its a "import".

Squizzy246B
02-02-2006, 06:04 AM
Squizzy...please take pics if you get the job K?

I'll be putting the quote in tomorrow...and I'll get heaps of pic's...if we get the job!

PurpHaze
02-02-2006, 08:24 AM
I'll be putting the quote in tomorrow...and I'll get heaps of pic's...if we get the job!

Just remember to turn the camera upside-down when you take the pics so they'll come out right-side-up for us in the northern hemisphere. :p

Squizzy246B
02-03-2006, 07:54 AM
Just remember to turn the camera upside-down when you take the pics so they'll come out right-side-up for us in the northern hemisphere. :p

OH Brother....don't you just turn your computer monitor upside down??

PurpHaze
02-03-2006, 08:35 AM
OH Brother....don't you just turn your computer monitor upside down??

Sooooooo... that's how it's done. Doh! :p

Squizzy246B
02-20-2006, 08:50 AM
Well the engineer who is project managing this job managed to get two other quotes and they are in the hands of the client. Should see how we went by the end of the week. The engineer said one of the other quotes was so low it was ridiculous. He also said the other quote was similar in price to ours which is really good to know...even if we don't get the job.

I'll keep you all posted.

PurpHaze
02-20-2006, 10:58 AM
Good luck Squizzy. :clapping:

Squizzy246B
02-21-2006, 06:55 AM
Good luck Squizzy. :clapping:

I'll have to take back all those things I said about you Hayes...your good tidings worked. We got the job and we were the most expensive:drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:

Photos to follow

Squizzy246B
02-21-2006, 08:24 AM
Here we are. The problem is compaction mainly but just about everything is cracked. The lowest wall belongs to the city and we cannot touch it or surcharge it. Its stuffed as well.

Squizzy246B
02-21-2006, 08:26 AM
We are going to take the whole lot down and start over, building one big wall and deleting the stone pitching. You can see the size of the fracture in the corner of the wall;

Squizzy246B
02-21-2006, 08:29 AM
Last one for now. The loose blocks you can see above the 2nd wall are fallen down from a pier which was up near those green pots. There is a pool up the top and the whole kaboodle is on the move. BTW, it was 104.18 deg F when I took these photos today. Shortly after we had thunder, lightening and rain like elephants could fly.

PurpHaze
02-21-2006, 08:36 AM
Yeah... Just let me know when you have your next bid and I'll send good wishes again. :clapping:

What's all the discoloration on the lower wall from?

Squizzy246B
02-21-2006, 08:43 AM
Yeah... Just let me know when you have your next bid and I'll send good wishes again. :clapping:

Screw that!..you'll be wanting a commission next!:rolleyes:

Squizzy246B
02-21-2006, 08:47 AM

The stain is underground (bore) water from the irragation. About 70% of Perth's water is from U/G. At depth there is ironstone hence the orange coloured stain. Its a p**ck to clean off and it costs a lot:) which is handy cause I have make a small sideline of cleaning walls.

PurpHaze
02-21-2006, 08:47 AM
Screw that!..you'll be wanting a commission next!:rolleyes:

Dammit... You're not as gullible as I thought. I was just about to post a request and you must have been reading my mind. :laugh:

PurpHaze
02-21-2006, 08:49 AM
The stain is underground (bore) water from the irragation. About 70% of Perth's water is from U/G. At depth there is ironstone hence the orange coloured stain. Its a p**ck to clean off and it costs a lot:) which is handy cause I have make a small sideline of cleaning walls.

And I thought we had some hard water here. I'd hate to have to design systems knowing that overspray causes that. Yuck! :hammerhead:

Squizzy246B
02-22-2006, 08:24 AM
And I thought we had some hard water here. I'd hate to have to design systems knowing that overspray causes that. Yuck! :hammerhead:

Hayes, its also a result of lowering in the water table and its getting worse. There is a new wall just down the road and its already orange after about 1 month. Some areas have a lot of Tannins.

So..is anybody coming over to give us a hand with the wall???...the weather is ...nice and.."warm":rolleyes:

I figured this job on two weeks of work plus some logistical stuff. I expect it will take us nearly as long to take it all down carefully and excavate as it will to build the wall. Acheiving compaction without bringing the lot down on us will also be a challenge. It will be 3 weeks woe-to-go for sure.

PurpHaze
02-22-2006, 08:36 AM
Hayes, its also a result of lowering in the water table and its getting worse. There is a new wall just down the road and its already orange after about 1 month. Some areas have a lot of Tannins.

Now why didn't you just say so to begin with. Tannins I understand. :)

So..is anybody coming over to give us a hand with the wall???...the weather is ...nice and.."warm":rolleyes:

My work is already done. You got the bid. :laugh:

I figured this job on two weeks of work plus some logistical stuff. I expect it will take us nearly as long to take it all down carefully and excavate as it will to build the wall. Acheiving compaction without bringing the lot down on us will also be a challenge. It will be 3 weeks woe-to-go for sure.

Be safe my friend, be safe.

Squizzy246B
03-27-2006, 07:35 AM
Ok we get stuck into it today...carefully. First pic shows the location of the pool in relation to the edge of the wall.

Second pic shows my size 13 next to one of the cracks in the wall.

We took down the pool fence and started pumping out the pool. Lifted the pavers and knocked down the piers. Managed to reclaim most of the stone for the piers and stack 4 tonnes of it aside.

The third pic shows Johnny picking away at the wall. I got to tell you though...it didn't really need an excavator to bring it down.

Squizzy246B
03-27-2006, 07:42 AM
This pic is very interesting for me. We call it a Claytons MRW. The Mass Wall you have without the Mass. We found here that there is no backing blocks of any substance behind the wall. Initially I was blaming mass and grab development for lack of compaction (which is true) but we can combine that with; a) shoddy workmanship b) lack of Mass in the wall hence lack of supervision and oversite c) add-ons to the wall without engineering. So we now have a couple a million dollar house and pool on the slide. I am now sure the scope of the task I currently have is not going to address the long term problems of this site. Got the Gingerbeer coming out tomorrow to tell me what I already know, but I'll use him as a witness anyway.

Squizzy246B
03-27-2006, 07:47 AM
This was good. When you have a 35 year plus operator you don't tell them how to operate a machine (if you have to they wouldn't have made it through 35 years). I told Johnny to go give the wall a tickle. In this pic the stone pitching is actually sliding down the hill. Rather than pull it down crash bang, Johnny nudged it up until it just all very slowly moved down the face and settled on top of the lower wall. Beautiful to watch and the couple of little rocks near the excavator where the only ones to come over the wall.

Squizzy246B
03-27-2006, 07:50 AM
Last one for a good day at the office...no injuries, no dummy spits, no angry neighbours and I can go have a Malt Whiskey for the nerves. (Oh and no cracks in the swimming pool yet). BTW, we had road traffic restricted in this operation.

PurpHaze
03-27-2006, 08:38 AM
Is there any danger of the earth between the pool and old wall location sluffing off and then allowing the pool to crack open?

Squizzy246B
03-27-2006, 09:02 AM
Is there any danger of the earth between the pool and old wall location sluffing off and then allowing the pool to crack open?

Yep..I'm giving it about a 50/50

Lazer_Z
03-27-2006, 01:04 PM
Squiz, If you hardly needed the Ex to bring down the wall then what was holding it up & keeping the pool in place?

Rob

Squizzy246B
03-27-2006, 04:37 PM
Squiz, If you hardly needed the Ex to bring down the wall then what was holding it up & keeping the pool in place?

Rob

Rob, Not much. The pavers between the pool and the wall had 1" gaps between them where they had slipped towards the wall.

Lazer_Z
03-27-2006, 06:44 PM
Rob, Not much. The paver's between the pool and the wall had 1" gaps between them where they had slipped towards the wall.
That's sounds like a serious F up from the initial builder. One more weird question Squiz, what type of serious damage would all of that falling have caused? would the whole wall & pool have wound up on the road?

Thanks in advance Squiz
Rob

PurpHaze
03-27-2006, 09:27 PM
Yep..I'm giving it about a 50/50

Damn Squizzy... you weren't kidding about going after irrigation stuff. If that pool goes it'd definitely irrigate (AND irritate) everything below it. :laugh:

Squizzy246B
03-28-2006, 04:19 AM
That's sounds like a serious F up from the initial builder. One more weird question Squiz, what type of serious damage would all of that falling have caused? would the whole wall & pool have wound up on the road?

Thanks in advance Squiz
Rob

Rob, the lower wall (which is a POS as well) belongem the city. At the very least, when some of the wall we are rebuilding let go that wall would have been damaged. Now, in my not so humble opinion (on this matter), any wall that is higher than a toddler can have catastrophic results in failure. Something some wall builders would do well to keep in mind.

As would have it this day, I got talking to the father of the tenant. He's visiting from California and has done so every year for the past five years. He remarked how the cracks in the wall where bigger on each annual visit. Now, it really was unstable but had it gone of its own accord I think the pool would have been OK...save for the lower wall giving way completley...then the house may have suffered some subsidence as well.

In fairness to the orginal wall builder, they did not build the wall to cater for the additional surcharge caused by the add-ons...and who does....we don't all have crystal balls:rolleyes:

We have pumped a lot of water and wetting agent into the hillside to try and get what is unstable to come down and eventually acheive some compaction in the base area. When it is free (wall removed) if water can bring it down then it has to come down for us to work under it.

Hayes: I chucked a submersible in the pool this morning...it went "whirr...fizzz...bang ..and took out the breakers. Then I rang the hire joint and said..."get me another within the hour" and some other stuff that might be interpreted as a threat of physical violence involving the insertion of various pieces of equipment.l Anyway, the pool is emptied...less surcharge on the face.

PurpHaze
03-28-2006, 08:37 AM
Hayes: I chucked a submersible in the pool this morning...it went "whirr...fizzz...bang ..and took out the breakers. Then I rang the hire joint and said..."get me another within the hour" and some other stuff that might be interpreted as a threat of physical violence involving the insertion of various pieces of equipment.l Anyway, the pool is emptied...less surcharge on the face.

ROFLMAO. Way to go Squizzy! :laugh:

UNISCAPER
03-28-2006, 09:42 AM
Squizzy:

I think you'll be amazed when you do some calcs to see how little a swimming pool ads in the way of a surcharge. It's not to be taken lightly, but they really don't ad that much. It looks like you have a 2-1 slope heading down the the first wall. I'm not sure how the numbers of your soil will add to the Phi factor, but around here, a 2-1 will hold a house. Looks like a fun job though.

Squizzy246B
03-28-2006, 04:46 PM
Squizzy:

I think you'll be amazed when you do some calcs to see how little a swimming pool ads in the way of a surcharge. It's not to be taken lightly, but they really don't ad that much. It looks like you have a 2-1 slope heading down the the first wall. I'm not sure how the numbers of your soil will add to the Phi factor, but around here, a 2-1 will hold a house. Looks like a fun job though.

Exactly Bill, The swimming pool, by way of its strength and shape will actually help us keep the slope intact. The ability of the sand to stand up under load is dependent on the moisture content. If I let this slope dry out for 4 or 5 hours in the morning sun I will end up excavating about twice what I should. Time = Money. The house will be fine I'm just cautious about taking a hit for pre-existing sudsidence damage. My headache now is stockpiling for backfill as well as the fact that every bloody Telehandler in Perth is on hire...somewhere else.:(

Squizzy246B
03-29-2006, 07:34 AM
Reasonable day at the office. Dug what we could with the Hibachi (Kubota), stockpiled over the road and then got the mini up on the wall to start prepping for the base. We will run two pogo sticks tomorrow for a couple of hours and see how we go. A plate compactor will bring the lot down. Its standing up better than I calculated...and I always said Agapanthus was good for nothing.

PurpHaze
03-29-2006, 08:29 AM
Cool pictures Squizzy. You obviously know what you're doing. :clapping:

Squizzy246B
03-29-2006, 04:12 PM
Cool pictures Squizzy. You obviously know what you're doing. :clapping:

Naww...we just make it up as we go along. The important thing is to look like you know what your doing.:rolleyes:

Dirty Water
03-29-2006, 08:43 PM
How did you lift the 301.8 over the first wall? Ramp made of backfill?

PurpHaze
03-29-2006, 10:17 PM
Naww...we just make it up as we go along. The important thing is to look like you know what your doing.:rolleyes:

Holy manure Batman... now you sound like us damn Yanks. :laugh:

Squizzy246B
03-30-2006, 04:39 AM
How did you lift the 301.8 over the first wall? Ramp made of backfill?

We lift it up there with our 248B...:rolleyes: (jk). Actually we put it straight from the back of the truck onto the wall with our 6 tonne aluminium ramps. I have some photos somewhere of us doing it the dumb unsafe way.

PurpHaze
03-30-2006, 08:32 AM
We lift it up there with our 248B...:rolleyes: (jk). Actually we put it straight from the back of the truck onto the wall with our 6 tonne aluminium ramps. I have some photos somewhere of us doing it the dumb unsafe way.

I was guessing hot air balloon. :laugh:

Squizzy246B
03-30-2006, 09:00 AM
I was guessing hot air balloon. :laugh:

Well I'll know where to go to get the hot air to inflate it:rolleyes: :dancing: :laugh: :drinkup:

I'm just hanging out for a job we can use a helo on!..but when purchasing the mini one of the factors was the capacity of cranes normally available in the local area..that and the width of gates...and the width of a horse's a......err..hang on...that was NASA wasn't it?:confused:

UNISCAPER
03-30-2006, 10:55 PM
Did you get the suction cup track option? We have that and we can drive up any 90° wall up to 12' off the ground.

Works great as long as you believe pigs can fly!

Squizzy246B
03-31-2006, 04:58 AM
Did you get the suction cup track option? We have that and we can drive up any 90° wall up to 12' off the ground.

Works great as long as you believe pigs can fly!

Nope, we looked at them but thought they sucked!...and we went with the magnetic option...only works on ironstone walls though;)

UNISCAPER
03-31-2006, 09:28 AM
Ahhhh. Thsoe aren't available in California. They cause liberal minded buttheads to think normal so the legislature banned them.

PurpHaze
03-31-2006, 10:35 PM
Quit it... you guys are killing me!!!! :hammerhead: :laugh: :drinkup: :waving: :clapping:

Suction cups.... magnetic.... what next? :laugh:

UNISCAPER
03-31-2006, 10:53 PM
Squizzy:

Have you checked out the new Cat 301.10? It comes with a 12' retractible diameter helicopter blade on the ROPS for an additional $2,100.00. You can fly it over rooftops and land wherever you need to dig!

PurpHaze
03-31-2006, 10:59 PM
Right............ and to think I still believe in Beenie and Cecil. :laugh: :dizzy:

Squizzy246B
04-01-2006, 12:10 AM
Squizzy:

Have you checked out the new Cat 301.10? It comes with a 12' retractible diameter helicopter blade on the ROPS for an additional $2,100.00. You can fly it over rooftops and land wherever you need to dig!

Yeah we did but it doesn't meet the new Californian EPA noise restrictions soon to be put in place and we thought not being able to fly in California might restrict our planned business expansion. Also there was the pilots licensing requirements as well as rumours that Cat were having problems with the ejection seat. To top that off we couldn't get airborne insurance for the homeowners (Houses don't have FEPs - Falling Excavator Protection) so all in all we thought it was a bum deal and somebody should look at a bigger auger drive so we could just tunnel....

Dirty Water
04-01-2006, 12:31 AM
You guys are way behind the times, we've been using hovercraft exavators for years over here.

sheshovel
04-01-2006, 01:21 AM
COOL! I LOVE THIS SO MUCH SQUIZZY!kEEP TAKING THOSE PICKS..does it help if I tell ya I feel for ya havin to work in the hot heat and sun??Well I do..Stay tough Squizz

PurpHaze
04-01-2006, 10:14 AM
Maybe Australian pigs really can fly??? :hammerhead:

UNISCAPER
04-01-2006, 10:30 AM
That ejection seat killed the Goose and ended up making Meg Ryan a widow in what movie?????

PurpHaze
04-01-2006, 10:34 AM
Top Gun???????

UNISCAPER
04-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Bingo! You get the Helicopter option FREE for your work truck to use on freeway applications during rush hour. Stop moronitous with the flip of a switch and fly to your destination!

Rokay Roargre?

Squizzy246B
04-03-2006, 09:24 AM
Maybe Australian pigs really can fly??? :hammerhead:

Aussie Pigs can Fly Mate!

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/01/12/1073877750355.html

:laugh:

Squizzy246B
04-03-2006, 09:26 AM
Back on track..after we removed the swimming pool...jk

The "Hill" has stopped sliding so we laid a few blocks today. Pic's tomorrow.....

UNISCAPER
04-03-2006, 09:38 AM
Did you use the suction cup bucket to take out the pool, or do you have a concrete electro magent?

Squizzy246B
04-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Did you use the suction cup bucket to take out the pool, or do you have a concrete electro magent?

Skyhook method

Squizzy246B
04-04-2006, 06:28 AM
No photos, Batterys flat in the camera:( ..but thats alright...I took a spare set of flat batterys with me:dizzy: :o

Squizzy246B
04-07-2006, 08:36 AM
Its been a long week;

The Colonel said "boys, if that hill don't kill you it will surely break your heart" - I seem to remember that from a movie??

7 courses up, 3 to go and all the quarrys have taken big commercial orders for 1st grade which means we get crap natural stone that is all different sizes and well out of square. It makes a nice wall but its a lot of stuffing around laying them when you want TOW +- 1/4" on a near 14' high mortared wall....buggeration...why do I do it??. To top things off we can't get the big telehandler for another 2 weeks.

There is a lot of pressure cleaning and pointing to be done. We will do a recessed brushed finish on this wall which will look terriffic and make all the other walls look crap.

PurpHaze
04-07-2006, 08:50 AM
Still cool looking Squizzy. :clapping:

sheshovel
04-07-2006, 12:54 PM
Looks good Squizz....keep it up it will be over soon.

Squizzy246B
04-25-2006, 08:20 AM
Well we finally got our hands on the new baby we wanted for this wall...we call her Manni....18 yards of reach does the job, stabilizers, cross axle levellers, strain gauges, load meters...whizzbang, only had 7 hours on it. We were the first to hire it....$400/day:cry:

Nice machine though....not something I'd buy.

Squizzy246B
04-25-2006, 08:21 AM
Here's another

PurpHaze
04-25-2006, 08:54 AM
Cool pics. I can see why she's your new girl. :laugh:

Squizzy246B
04-25-2006, 09:01 AM
Cool pics. I can see why she's your new girl. :laugh:

Doesn't give me any lip either...beeps at you when you overload her though:rolleyes: :laugh:

sheshovel
04-25-2006, 01:41 PM
We would never get along Squizz..cuz I would sure give you alot of lip.

PurpHaze
04-26-2006, 08:17 AM
Doesn't give me any lip either...beeps at you when you overload her though:rolleyes: :laugh:

Mine just moans. :laugh:

PurpHaze
04-26-2006, 08:18 AM
We would never get along Squizz..cuz I would sure give you alot of lip.

Some guys like a lot of lip. It just depends on where the lips are. :)

Squizzy246B
04-26-2006, 08:22 AM
Onwards and upwards..9 courses with one to go, a small truncation in the corner...some piers, pointing and bloody lot of cleaning up.

Squizzy246B
04-26-2006, 08:23 AM
Oh, and this...its one of the piers we left standing from the old wall....Now...look carefully...can anybody tell me what is wrong in this picture??:rolleyes:

Squizzy246B
04-26-2006, 08:24 AM
Some guys like a lot of lip. It just depends on where the lips are. :)

I'm not touching that one mate!...

PurpHaze
04-26-2006, 08:37 AM
Oh, and this...its one of the piers we left standing from the old wall....Now...look carefully...can anybody tell me what is wrong in this picture??:rolleyes:

You didn't destroy the irrigation???? :laugh:

Squizzy246B
04-26-2006, 09:14 AM
You didn't destroy the irrigation???? :laugh:

well you should see the cities stuff down on the verge;) I think we have done enough damage for one site:eek:

n2h20
04-26-2006, 10:10 PM
uh no foundation???
thats a pertty nice toy you got there...

sheshovel
04-26-2006, 10:13 PM
Underground wire not protected by conduit.and the pier has not been set deep enough.

Squizzy246B
04-27-2006, 08:19 AM
Underground wire not protected by conduit.and the pier has not been set deep enough.

uh no foundation???

Yep..I'd actually refer to it as not set at all!. You get that on the big jobs. My labourer always says "thats why we get the big bucks"...and then he laughs.....why does he laugh:confused:

She, I'm not sure over your way but here the low voltage reticulation wiring doesn't have to be in a conduit...somebody enlighten me on this issue please.

PurpHaze
04-27-2006, 08:37 AM
She, I'm not sure over your way but here the low voltage reticulation wiring doesn't have to be in a conduit...somebody enlighten me on this issue please.

It all depends on what the wire is used for and how it's rated. If wire is rated "direct burial" then it doesn't need to be in conduit as long as code depths are met.

Squizzy246B
04-27-2006, 08:44 AM
It all depends on what the wire is used for and how it's rated. If wire is rated "direct burial" then it doesn't need to be in conduit as long as code depths are met.

Yep, same same here

Squizzy246B
04-28-2006, 08:22 AM
Well, we have 10 courses up, piers, corner truncation and the majority of the pressure cleaning done. Time to put up some scaffold and point the wall.

I think the soldier courses in this wall make it look ugly but it was an engineering requirement for every 2nd course. Normally in 10 course it would be the 4th and 7th course only.

I'm over time and over budget on this one but the exposure has been fantastic. I'm booked for 3 months.

I find in every job I learn something, Here is this jobs list:

1.) Telehandlers are a fantastic piece of kit and we couldn't have done this job without one, but we should have had one for 2 days at the start instead of taking 4 days with the excavator and 2 of those with the mini - Planning

2.) Fully cross-bonded large walls (soldiers every other course) take more time.

3.) Don't be afraid to tackle the engineers what they have supplied for quoting purposes and just what you end up building. They can't be allowed to make changes left right and nelly.

4.) Falling off big walls hurts :(

5.) Dealing with an overseas client doen't have to be a bother, strike up a rapore and keep them well informed with photos.

Squizzy246B
05-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Here is the finished job. The mortar and blocks still need to dry some so the colour will even out.