PDA

View Full Version : top soil installation/seeding quote

Ziob
01-31-2006, 01:51 PM
Hi everyone,
just curious what you guys get for a minimum for a quick half dayish installation of topsoil and a grass seeding. top soil my way runs aroun 17 a yard. I got a yard around 20 yards by 35 yardsish so probably 4 10 wheeler loads would do it. What do you usually charge on a job that size for topsoil/delivery, labor, equipment (york rake)

just curious

CutRight
01-31-2006, 06:19 PM
im out of terryville, CT. where in CT are you from. all the lawns iv done so far have been new constructions where the topsoil is roughly spread already by the excavation company who was there before me. to york rake the lot, cleaning it out and smoothing it out. i get between .14 cents and .16 cents a square foot. to put down seed, prep fertilizer, and straw i would get around .16 to .18 cents a square foot, all depending on the size of the lot. for a 10,000 sq ft lot i would get .16 cents a sq ft and for larger lots around 30,000 and up i would get .14 cents a sq foot.
Now to put in the topsoil it depends on. do you have your own equipment? skid steerer or front end loader. I would definatly charge for the delivery of the topsoil. figure out your gas costs and even ask the yard where you get your topsoil from what they charge for delievery and go off of that. or just have them deliver it and mark that cost up also to the customer. and also definatly mark up the price of the topsoil from what you pay for it. anywhere from 50% to 200% depending on how ballsy you wanna be. im usually around 50% and 75% depending on quantity.
then just figure out what you want to make an hour to spread the topsoil. if you have your own equipment you should be making $100 and hour to do work anywhere to cover your pay and costs of running the machines. etc.
that was long and confusing probably so just ask any questions if i missed anything

CutRight
01-31-2006, 06:53 PM
ok i just realized you gave some data numbers and i didnt answer anything

how thick are you spreading the topsoil? 6 in 8 in?
at 8 in you would need 154 yards of topsoil if my calculations are correct
8 in = .22 yd 20 yd x 35 yd x .22 yd = 154 cubic yards

at $17 a yard (if they sell it by the yard, most places iv dealt with sell it by the ton topsoil 1 yd = 1.5 tons of topsoil)

$17 yd x 154 = $2618 for the topsoil, id mark it up to $3000, thats a little less than 50%

now if a 10 wheeler holds 10 yards thats 15 loads....if thats correct i have no idea how much they hold.

now if all my calculations are correct and im not wrong. this job seems like it would take a whole day if not two, just because of the logistics factor of getting the topsoil there.

then you have to add your costs for your machines, your own time.
Heres how i would approach it (quick mock up)
figure 2 8 hour days (whether it takes that long or not) 16 hours
6300 sq ft lot 60 x 135
materials:
topsoil $3000
seed approx $75 for a 10,000 sq ft bag
start fert approx $50
straw $11 a bail with i think 5 or 6 bails should do figure $70

company costs and profit margin:
16 hours at $120 $1920
(covers me and my machines)
over head 10% of total 5115 x 10% $511.5
profit margin 10 % of total 5115 x 10% $511.5

grand total to deliver, spread, topsoil, fert, seed, and straw,
$6138
maybe give a number like that on paper then say you'll do it for $6000
but the big cost is the topsoil and machine and personal costs

seems a little high but if oyu look at the numbers thats what you need to turn a profit
dont think of money you get for machine time as profit, it is a cost.
cause when something breaks, guess where it comes from.

or maybe i just dont knwo what im talkin about

Planet Landscaping
02-01-2006, 05:37 AM
Not enough straw???? Overpriced?????. Sharpen pencil. 1/2 day job COMPLETE.

Ziob
02-01-2006, 10:55 AM
wow that mutch eh? I gotta go make some final measurements and i'll be having the topsoil delivered as well as renting a loader with york for the day....rental runs something like 300 for 1/2 day and thats all i'd need it for to smooze over the property...property is pretty small more like 50 x 100 feet max so its an in and out deal but i'll have measurements later on. around here 6,000 sq feet gets peope like 4,000 with hydroseeding so i was shooting for maybe 3000 everything paid and equipment isn't mine so if it breaks its not my deal

i'll post later in the week see what you guys think

CutRight
02-02-2006, 10:12 AM
yea i just dont know what i was talking about. that price seems better.

M RASCOE&SONS
02-04-2006, 03:39 PM
wow that mutch eh? I gotta go make some final measurements and i'll be having the topsoil delivered as well as renting a loader with york for the day....rental runs something like 300 for 1/2 day and thats all i'd need it for to smooze over the property...property is pretty small more like 50 x 100 feet max so its an in and out deal but i'll have measurements later on. around here 6,000 sq feet gets peope like 4,000 with hydroseeding so i was shooting for maybe 3000 everything paid and equipment isn't mine so if it breaks its not my deal

i'll post later in the week see what you guys think
check around for your machine rental because 300 for a half day is too expensive.where abouts in connecticut are you from ?if your close to oldsaybrook i will give you a much better rate for me and my machine ,i have a york rake and a harleyrake ,get back too me.