PDA

View Full Version : Cdl

zim bob the landscaper
01-31-2006, 02:15 PM
i wondering should i get a class A CDL if im running a landscaping biz. ive always wanted to drive truck for a living but just wonder if i really need it.

thanks in exchange.

MarcusLndscp
01-31-2006, 03:42 PM
Yes, go for the A. Sometimes if you have a small 1 ton dump, trailer, and a large enough piece of equipment on you need a CDL A. It depends on how you register your vehicles, trailers etc. But yes, get the A all it adds to the test is a pre trip on the trailer which is no big deal and a couple other exercises in the driving course.

zim bob the landscaper
01-31-2006, 03:46 PM
ya im gonna go to school and my dad drives a 10 wheel mack so he can help me.

Scag48
01-31-2006, 03:51 PM
You're talking about when you're 18, right?

beautifullawns
01-31-2006, 04:26 PM
I'm going to get my cdl A. If your gross weight truck/trailer combo is over 26000lbs then you need one. Right now I'm at 25000 but want to re-regiester my truck from 13000 to 15000. If I can do that then my combo weight will be 27000.

Wolfie's L&L
01-31-2006, 05:00 PM
I have a question along these lines, whats the difference between a CDL class "A", "B", and "C" licenses?? I'm wanting to get mine in the near future, so I'm just curious to know what the classes mean. Are there any more besides the 3 that I mentioned??

Thanks!

Jason

MarcusLndscp
01-31-2006, 06:21 PM
Class A allows for a combination vehicle....truck and trailer
Class B is just the truck
Class C???

zim bob the landscaper
01-31-2006, 07:17 PM
I have a question along these lines, whats the difference between a CDL class "A", "B", and "C" licenses?? I'm wanting to get mine in the near future, so I'm just curious to know what the classes mean. Are there any more besides the 3 that I mentioned??

Thanks!

Jason
i think theres only two.

zim bob the landscaper
01-31-2006, 07:18 PM
You're talking about when you're 18, right?
nope im gonna get it now.... yeah of course what do u think there gonna pass a 14 year old lol.

dccarling
01-31-2006, 08:50 PM
If the GVWR of the truck or the truck & trailer is >26,000 you need a CDL. If the GVWR of the trailer is 10,000 or less you can get by with a "B" CDL. If the trailer has a GVWR > 10,000 and the combination is > 26,000 then you need the "A" CDL.

zim bob the landscaper
01-31-2006, 09:20 PM
ok guys thanks for all the info im definatly gonna get my CDL class A.

CLARK LAWN
01-31-2006, 11:16 PM
i think theres only two.
class a any comb. of vehicles with a GVWR of 26001 pounds or more or towing a trailer in excess of 10,000 pounds.class b any single GVWR of 26001 pounds or more or towing a trailer not in excess of 10,000 pounds. class c any single or combo. of vehicles not defined under class A or B but either designed to transport 16 or more pass. including the driver or is placarded for hazardous materials and any school bus under 26000 GVWR designed to transport less than 16 people including driver. class D operator. also you would be better off to wait till you are 21. under 21 you are not allowed to drive across state lines and most places cant put you on their insurance either. i've had my class A since i was 22 and have drove almost every type of truck on the road so im talking from experience

Scag48
02-01-2006, 03:40 AM
nope im gonna get it now.... yeah of course what do u think there gonna pass a 14 year old lol. Sorry, I was just trying to figure out why you were asking this question 4 years before you could legally get one.

zim bob the landscaper
02-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Sorry, I was just trying to figure out why you were asking this question 4 years before you could legally get one.
ya true i was wondering if i needed one so u have a right to ask.

zim bob the landscaper
02-01-2006, 06:44 PM
class a any comb. of vehicles with a GVWR of 26001 pounds or more or towing a trailer in excess of 10,000 pounds.class b any single GVWR of 26001 pounds or more or towing a trailer not in excess of 10,000 pounds. class c any single or combo. of vehicles not defined under class A or B but either designed to transport 16 or more pass. including the driver or is placarded for hazardous materials and any school bus under 26000 GVWR designed to transport less than 16 people including driver. class D operator. also you would be better off to wait till you are 21. under 21 you are not allowed to drive across state lines and most places cant put you on their insurance either. i've had my class A since i was 22 and have drove almost every type of truck on the road so im talking from experience
yeah i might take your advice my dad has been driving truck for 29 years and drove all sorts of trucks and he likes the mack over all.

jtdservices
02-03-2006, 08:08 PM
as far as trucking and trailers go, it does not matter what you register the truck for, its what its weight rating is for, and length of vehicle,and tongue weights when you have ball and pintle hook hitches. you can register a 1 ton for 25,999 and a trailer for 12,000 but thats not what the rating is. then your basically done when the DOT stops you. Mass dot can be stupid at times, and over see things, but dont come to New Hampshire or Maine, they will have you HOOKED................nh and me do bridge formular law..............look into these things seriously before you go register trucks and trailers for certain weights

zim bob the landscaper
02-06-2006, 06:23 PM
as far as trucking and trailers go, it does not matter what you register the truck for, its what its weight rating is for, and length of vehicle,and tongue weights when you have ball and pintle hook hitches. you can register a 1 ton for 25,999 and a trailer for 12,000 but thats not what the rating is. then your basically done when the DOT stops you. Mass dot can be stupid at times, and over see things, but dont come to New Hampshire or Maine, they will have you HOOKED................nh and me do bridge formular law..............look into these things seriously before you go register trucks and trailers for certain weights
ok man thanks ill definitely look into that thanks man.