PDA

View Full Version : Towing Trailer in NY

lightsaber
01-31-2006, 03:21 PM
Anyone have any info on towing an enclosed trailer in NYS. If its lettered will I be required to have a commercial vehicle to tow it. I'd like to keep tow vehicle for personal use also. Are electric brakes required or enforced.
Thanks for any input.

CLARK LAWN
01-31-2006, 05:18 PM
dont know about NY but if you use the truck for commercial purposes you have to have commercial plates on it you can still use it for personal use thats what alot of people do as far as electric brakes i would say they are required if over a certain weight

dbear
01-31-2006, 05:27 PM
I don't believe NYS cares what you tow a trailer with, provided you're not beyond the TV's manufacturer specs. I've seen small enclosed units with lettering, usually for a DJ pulled by a car with standard licensing.

As Clark Lawn mentioned, brakes are required above a certain weight (1500#?). In NYS, a truck is always registered commercially unless permanent passenger seating is installed in the bed, and a car is always a car unless the passenger seats are permanently removed. Should you reinstall the car's seats and/or remove the truck bed's seats, you are required to re-register the vehicle.

Check the dmv website:
http://www.nysdmv.com/