PDA

View Full Version : Debris destroying belts

OnMyOwn
01-31-2006, 04:35 PM
Just a thought / question for review. I have always blown out my deck tops at the end of each day to remove grass debris and dirt. Early on in the business, my mentor told me that this kind of stuff caused premature wear on the belts. Therefore, I question why about 30% of all the commercial mowing companies in my area run without deck covers on their mowers. What is the reasoning? In my opinion, it makes the mower look like a "second-class" machine and it "may" encourage premature belt wear. Is there anything I am missing?

The mayor
01-31-2006, 05:14 PM
I have a dixie chopper. There is a little fan on the top of each spindle to blow off debris for me.

LwnmwrMan22
01-31-2006, 05:33 PM
I don't run the covers.

It's easier to clean off the deck, plus it's one less thing to mess with when the belt breaks.

If you run the covers, the grass / dirt / mud / whatever gets packed in under the covers.

I guess if my customers look at me like a second class mower, because they can see the tops of the spindles, then I'm not working enough.

As for "premature", I'll replace a deck belt about every 750+ hours.

grass_cuttin_fool
01-31-2006, 06:17 PM
With the covers on I find it hard to blow off the decks. Also with the covers off I usually take the backpack blower and blow some of the clippings off after each yard.

wayne

beautifullawns
01-31-2006, 06:24 PM
we make sure after every lawn we blow the entire mower clean. It makes it much easier to clean at the end of the day.

lawnmaniac883
01-31-2006, 07:35 PM
I leave my covers on, no problem blowing debris off with a redmax 8000 :waving:

P & L Turf
01-31-2006, 07:55 PM
I leave mine on all the equipment, except for the one old one which has lost its plastic nuts over the years. I feel that it looks more professional wit them on, plus it helps to keep most of the debris out. On my Lazers, it doesn't take but a minute to loosen the nuts and pull the cover off. I quess it depends on how easy it is for you to pull the covers off. If it's tricky, or a pain in the rear, then leave them off. If not, then I'd leave them on. It looks better.:cool: