PDA

View Full Version : Carryon Trailer

samk
01-31-2006, 04:43 PM
Looking at buy one of the enclosed 7X16. Mainly because the price is right. anyone have one or no anything about this company? any feedback would be great.

mcwlandscaping
01-31-2006, 04:45 PM
PM Jamesgateslandscaping he has had a 16*6 for awhile.

MysticLandscape
01-31-2006, 06:01 PM
Where in the Northeast are you and the dealer located?

samk
01-31-2006, 07:08 PM
New Hampshire

Turfdude
01-31-2006, 07:59 PM
I currently have 3 open carry-on trailers. Here's my honest opinion. Price=cheap... you get what you pay for. All metal at least on their open trailers should be heavier. The tailgates use a real cheap espanded metal that is tacked sparingly on teh bottom so if you do not run up the angle iron w/ a stand-on or rider, the expanded welds break & it fails. The frame and supports should be c-channel & not angle iron. The hinges are real cheap tubular and the tacks for the pins fail. We have made new hinges and replaced the screening w/ 1/2" expanded. I would think twice about their enclosed. Maybe go w/ a haulmark or other comparable trailer.

Guthrie&Co
01-31-2006, 08:28 PM
i have a carry on open and have had a enclosed trailer. my opinion it that they are made ok. i am a stickler for fabrication since i have experince in that field. thye arent the top shelf trailer but i love mine and would not hesitate to purchase another. both trailers pulled very well and the wiring is great. go for it.

BSDeality
01-31-2006, 08:38 PM
I currently have 3 open carry-on trailers. Here's my honest opinion. Price=cheap... you get what you pay for. All metal at least on their open trailers should be heavier. The tailgates use a real cheap espanded metal that is tacked sparingly on teh bottom so if you do not run up the angle iron w/ a stand-on or rider, the expanded welds break & it fails. The frame and supports should be c-channel & not angle iron. The hinges are real cheap tubular and the tacks for the pins fail. We have made new hinges and replaced the screening w/ 1/2" expanded. I would think twice about their enclosed. Maybe go w/ a haulmark or other comparable trailer.I had the same experience, just last week i almost lost my gate cause one of the tacks on the tailgate disapeared with the pin and the gate was just hanging there. I also re-inforced the metal on the gate after the tacks failed there too. I do like how they enclose their wiring.

I have upgraded to electric brakes and LED taillights on my trailer too

Smalltimer1
01-31-2006, 10:40 PM
Mine is a 2004 Carry-On 5x8 I bought new. I wanted a Texas Bragg but it was out of my range at the time. This little trailer has been through hell and back with the stuff I've used it for and it still comes back for more.

Mostly it's been used for hauling mowers, whether it be mine or a customers', but it has also seen extensive duty in hauling hay for my g/f's horses (35 bales @ 60lb. ea.), moving scrap metal, hauling mulch, top soil, gravel, and rip-rap rocks and some other stuff that I've probably long since forgotten.

It has been backed into, overloaded, and hit the worst of potholes (while empty, causing it to bounce airborne), and has luckily never failed me yet. It probably has a good 20,000 miles on it right now.

I want to get a Texas Bragg 5x10 or 6x12 this year because this one is definitely too small because I like to take 2 garden tractors with me in most cases. My JD 300 takes up most of the trailer now as it is, and barely leaves room for my tiller and wheel barrow. I can fit 2 small rear engine riders on it, but I only haul rear engine riders when I am selling one or when I am picking one up to repair.

I would venture to say that a Carry-On isn't the top of the line, but for a person on a budget, its a good starter trailer, at least for an open one.

I don't like the way the enclosed ones are built, just doesn't seem like there's enough steel in the frame on those.

samk
02-01-2006, 09:21 AM
great stuff keep it coming. Main reason looking to buy this brand is I can get a new one for about 4500.00 I know its missing some things the other brands have but they all want up around 6000.00. Dont mind having less in the fabrication and stuff but dont want to own a POS.

scott's turf
02-01-2006, 11:53 AM
I live in NH as well and 1.5 years ago I bought a 7X16 enclosed haulmark factory direct from Penn for about $4100 and had it ship to my house for $400. I was able to customize the vents and lights, etc as well. The same trailer from distributers up here was going for $6k.

scott's turf
02-01-2006, 11:58 AM
I live in NH as well and 1.5 years ago I bought a 7X16 enclosed haulmark factory direct from Penn for about $4100 and had it ship to my house for $400. I was able to customize the vents and lights, etc as well. The same trailer from distributers up here was going for $6k.

samk
02-01-2006, 04:56 PM
thos are the prices im getting about 6000 grand. How did you go about orderinging from the factory?