PDA

View Full Version : Flabed dump vs fold down side mason vs fixed side mason

Gravel Rat
01-31-2006, 06:08 PM
I have to bite the bullet and spend the money and get a dump body on the 95 F-450 I have I was going to sell the truck as a regular flatdeck but I decided I will put a dump body on it and use the truck. If things need fixing I will fix them.

Now heres the choices I'am looking at a dump flatdeck its the cheapest option and more multi purpose. Second option a 11' mason dump with fold down sides most expensive option but I have the option of side loading with a forklift. Last option regular fixed side mason box 11' probably a 2 yard version.

I still want to beable to haul building supplies like lumber and stuff that is forkliftable on the side. I had a job couple weeks ago to pick up 6000lbs of tires for a articulated dump truck. I aways get jobs like that where people want something delivered or picked up besides dirt or trash.

So a regular fixed size mason box is not really a option if all I wanted to do is haul dirt then I would probably buy one.

So its down to a regular dumping flatdeck or a fold down side mason box both 11' long. Is the fold down side mason boxes really worth it I would be looking at minimum 9000 dollars CND they are heavy aswell for a 11' box you looking at close to 2000lbs on the truck :eek:

I'am trying to keep the extra weight off the truck the way it sits now with a fixed flatdeck its 8400lbs a fold down side box will probably give the truck a tare weight of 10,000lbs a little too heavy.

The fold down mason box has one benefit is it does haul dirt better than a flatdeck with wood sideboards and will stand up better to rocks and abrasive gravel.

Now a regular flatdeck its the cheapest option and its lightest option it will be almost 1000lbs lighter thats a big difference if I go with a new flatdeck with a hoist it will probably only be the hoist weight so a 9000lb tare.

My main line of hauling is debris from construction sites its not heavy its more bulky than anything else. When ever I do haul debris I have side extensions for my current flatdeck to go from 10" sideboards to another 10"s to give me 20"s which is high enough. Rest of the time I just have 10" side boards on the deck to keep stuff from siding off most loads I can load the truck in a way I don't need the extra 10" boards.

The problem arises when I haul gravel 10" side boards are not quite tall enough I get a little spillage driving down the road :laugh:

So what do you think a dumping fladeck a better option for a multi use over a mason box with fold down sides ?

I can get a aluminum dumping flatdeck for 7000 dollars CND they are nice decks. The last quote I got for a fold down mason box was around 9000 dollars.

hosejockey2002
02-01-2006, 12:51 AM
For just hardscaping, a fold down mason box would be the way to go. Sounds like for you the most versatile setup would be a landscape box with a double acting tailgate (spread gate on the bottom and barn doors on top in the back) and a large side door that you could get pallets through. That way you can haul sand and gravel (up to the weight limits of the truck) and have room for bulky stuff. The one disadvantage to a landscape box is the high sides make it hard to load bulk material with a small machine.

Gravel Rat
02-01-2006, 01:10 AM
I think price will play into my decision I will phone around tommorow and get some more prices.