PDA

View Full Version : Wet Mulch?

Chip
04-11-2001, 08:15 PM
We have gotten so much rain here this Spring we are forced to work on rainy days. Not just a drizzle but a steady rain.Today we did a job that we have been doing for 3 years now, in the past we have used 10 yards, today it took 11 yds nothing has really changed with the beds. The only 2 variables is that the mulch is wet and we have a new employee. The new guy is being trained properly so I was just wondering if the wet conditions could be the diference. Not really a big deal just $23 dollars in material and I keep raising the price each year.

Guido
04-12-2001, 12:36 PM
If your buying it by the weight it will make a big difference.

The only difference besides that I could see would be that its matted down and jnot fluffy like when its dry.

Hope this helps!

Lanelle
04-15-2001, 12:07 AM
Another variable is the person loading the mulch. We notice some variance in people's judgement---3 yds to 5 yds could all be counted as 4 cu. yds, depending on the guy's eye.

Runner
04-15-2001, 12:35 AM
True. Where we get it, the guy is pretty cool. He packs it down in the truck with the bucket, then adds more. What looks like 3 yards in the truck is really closer to 5.

Matt
04-18-2001, 09:06 AM
Depending on how big of an area you are covering 1 yd. doesn't go very far. If you re-edged the beds you may be surprised on the extra amount of mulch needed to cover the new edge. Working in the rain is not as efficient as dry weather and the mulch probably just got put on a little haevy in some areas.