PDA

View Full Version : His dog did it

Ol'time Lawncare
01-31-2006, 09:47 PM
OK your clients dog took a crap. you service lawn and oops you didnt see it.now at the end of the cut you notice it. In your contract it says,"5 dollar clean up fee.(and we use your hose)... that month you send invoice with extra charge.customer calls and says. His dog did it, bill him. what in the hell do you say next?

yrdandgardenhandyman
01-31-2006, 09:55 PM
OK your clients dog took a crap. you service lawn and oops you didnt see it.now at the end of the cut you notice it. In your contract it says,"5 dollar clean up fee.(and we use your hose)... that month you send invoice with extra charge.customer calls and says. His dog did it, bill him. what in the hell do you say next?

Tell him he signed the agreement. Not the dog. Tell him to payup and then tell him to sue his dog to recoup.

Green Quality
01-31-2006, 10:06 PM
This is a joke right!,Ilike when people like you get in to the bizz,makes those who work hard and feel good!

geogunn
02-01-2006, 09:35 AM
if I were him I wouldn't pay it.

I'd tell you to either get over it or get some employees with enough operator skills to avoid hitting the land mines...otherwise, contract canceled. see ya.

GEO :waving:

daveintoledo
02-01-2006, 09:39 AM
tell him he pays this time, and keeps the yard clean, or his dog can cut the grass.. and cancel him, if he has an attitude about something small in the contract, how will he act when you try and collect for something else he disputes.....

just by him saying that , he has broken the contract, and that he does not take you or your contract seriously.......ditch the idiot

Ol'time Lawncare
02-01-2006, 09:41 AM
if I were him I wouldn't pay it.

I'd tell you to either get over it or get some employees with enough operator skills to avoid hitting the land mines...otherwise, contract canceled. see ya.

GEO :waving:
well thats my point.maybe i should not have this in my service agreement, **** is a sticky business!:p

Ol'time Lawncare
02-01-2006, 09:46 AM
tell him he pays this time, and keeps the yard clean, or his dog can cut the grass.. and cancel him, if he has an attitude about something small in the contract, how will he act when you try and collect for something else he disputes.....

just by him saying that , he has broken the contract, and that he does not take you or your contract seriously.......ditch the idiot
dave your right these type of clients i dont want, do you have a poo poo clause also?

daveintoledo
02-01-2006, 09:50 AM
10 dollar cleaning fee....

i mean its one thing if they keep the yard clean all the time and there is a fresh turd they miss...... but you can tell if they dont clean up after the dog enough.......

i mean its one thing if the guy called and said, im sorry i usually clean the yard befor you show.... it must be new or i missed some, but he just plain told you your contract means nothing to him

makes me mad, ill bet it really pisses you off:dizzy:

MarcSmith
02-01-2006, 10:14 AM
never even though of cleaning up the turds... I just cut right over the tops of the em....If igure if the homeoenwer doen't want to clean up their dog poo, why should I...

daveintoledo
02-01-2006, 10:26 AM
never even though of cleaning up the turds... I just cut right over the tops of the em....If igure if the homeoenwer doen't want to clean up their dog poo, why should I...

cleaning up the mower
:)

HOOLIE
02-01-2006, 11:54 AM
I guess I don't understand why the mower needs to be cleaned right then. Do some people have the machine riding up front with them? :p It's a dirty job, dog doo is pretty low on my worry list. If you can't take a little dirt & doo, why be in this line of work?

MarcSmith
02-01-2006, 12:01 PM
I could understand being upset if you had stepped in it or you were string trimming and it splatered on you, but you get some dog doo on your tires and your upset....

I guess I was missing out on one more way to nickle and dime my clients...

Most people have us doingtheir landscaep work sicne they are too lazy or just don't care to do it....What makes you think he's gonna go out and pick up his dog's poo?

Ol'time Lawncare
02-01-2006, 12:22 PM
or but you get some dog doo on your tires and your upset....

I guess I was missing out on one more way to nickle and dime my clients...

Most people have us doingtheir landscaep work sicne they are too lazy or just don't care to do it....What makes you think he's gonna go out and pick up his dog's poo?
i dont want that crap on my tires, then it gets on the trailer and then on the next lawn, it stinks up the truck.its just plain common sense.if you wash it off, its still there,flys every where... then the time you spent cleaning up the mess you made by just cleaning the tires off with a hose. and you know what. you give me a good idea, nickle and dimming the client, yup, its about time it was the other way around! :waving:

MarcSmith
02-01-2006, 12:34 PM
Don't ever cut wet grass, I'd hate to see what youd charge you client for cleaning wet grass off of your mower....and its more widespread than dog poo....

topsites
02-01-2006, 01:28 PM
This is my situation with dog poop... I don't have anymore pets myself because of personal reasons but I've been around them and have had several throughout various times in my life. Thus, I feel qualified to speak when I say I know how it is from the clients side as well as the Lco's.

I DO feel it is reasonable to expect clients with pets or children to have a presentable yard for me to service. Presentable translated means I don't want to come out and work on something that hasn't been touched in years, so to speak.

On that note, I feel it is unreasonable to expect clients with pets to clean up every single last poop. As for me, so long the yard isn't a minefield and there is enough evidence to indicate to me the client does indeed pick up after their pet, that is all I require.

Say the client picks up after their pet twice / week and I come out and there are 3-4 piles throughout the yard, I am ok with that. What I'm NOT ok with are clients who never pick up after their pets or do so only on rare occasion and the yard is the rough equivalent of a wwii minefield.

It's basically the same thing as with toys in the yard... If the client or their children pick up after themselves there always exists the possibility there may be 2-3 toys left out there for whatever reason, that is a far cry from the entire yard being covered in toys, and I find yards with a little bit of litter acceptable and have no problem either picking up the few that were left OR avoiding it if the situation warrants... The only unfortunate drawback in this situation does rest with the client as I am not responsible for toys I may accidentally run over or get damaged for whatever reason, and as a fair trade the client is not responsible for the one (or 3) piles of poop my mower may accidentally run over, either. Fair is fair.

Having cut both types of yards, I can assure you there exists a big difference between 3-4 piles and the minefield equivalent, and to charge extra to the customer who diligently picks up after themselves or their pet IF they miss a few is unreasonable expectation, and could be why the customer said what they said.

That's just my view on things.

topsites
02-01-2006, 01:46 PM
Oh, btw... Ain't gonna be no 5-dollar charge if the yard is like a minefield I charge 30 dollars for the inconvenience of first dealing with the smell, and second cleaning a machine covered in poo... Because frankly speaking, I don't want the yard that's like a minefield, thanks but no thanks.

I don't think this bit is required for purposes of explanation, but just in case, a minefield is defined as a yard with more than reasonable amounts of litter, and generally have dozens of piles or more than I would care to count, anyway... It's all over the yard, everywhere you look or step, there's another pile or toy - I am fairly certain once you've worked on a yard or two like that, you may see why I consider a FEW piles (or toys) to be reasonable, and thus acceptable.

As a closer, if the guy cleaned up real good the night before and the dog went out THAT morning and you came by to service the yard right after the dog went out, I can fairly see the humour in the statement the guy made LOL it's actually pretty funny if you think about it.

Rhett
02-01-2006, 02:34 PM
If they haven't cleaned it in the week inbetween service I pick it up and bill for my time. Have never had anyone complain. Actually make more cleaning up the poo than riding the mower

TURFLORD
02-01-2006, 05:33 PM
My thanks, Topsites. I didn't want to type all that. One thing I can't understand, don't people who never clean up realize that they're living in their own filth. The mower runs over piles, mower spreads poo over entire yard, kids go out and play in yard now covered in trace amounts of poo, kids go back in house and sit on couch and maybe jump on mommy and daddy's bed, mom and dad come home from hard days work and lay on couch and bed.:)

LawnBrother
02-01-2006, 06:09 PM
So, one pile of dog crap constitutes a $5 clean-up? I would refuse to pay it too! That is just part of the game. Shiit happens. Everyone steps in a pile from time to time. On the other hand(foot?) I have had lawns that were full of crap when I took them on, and I told the customers that their day was such and such and that it needed to be picked up before then. All of them have complied, but of course I was polite about the matter, also. I even had one lady come outside when she saw me pull up and say "Oh, wait, let me clean up the yard first!" And I stood there for a few minutes watching her pick up crap :laugh: I did have one lawn that did not get cleaned up after 2 warnings, and I dropped them. No $5 clean up fee pays for dog crap all over everything. No clause in my contract, because it is just not neccessary. I tell them in the beginning that the yard needs to be kept clean. If they can't clean up their dog's business to a reasonable degree, then I don't need their business either.

Richard Martin
02-01-2006, 06:46 PM
My thanks, Topsites. I didn't want to type all that. One thing I can't understand, don't people who never clean up realize that they're living in their own filth. The mower runs over piles, mower spreads poo over entire yard, kids go out and play in yard now covered in trace amounts of poo, kids go back in house and sit on couch and maybe jump on mommy and daddy's bed, mom and dad come home from hard days work and lay on couch and bed.:)

You'd probably be suprised and horrified to see where fecal chloroform can end up. That toothbrush you brush with every morning... I hope you sanitize it before you use it especially if it's kept in the bathroom. Every time someone flushes a toilet the water spins round and round and even churns a little. That movement causes small droplets of water to become airborn and what's in the water goes with it. Toothbrushes that have been in a bathroom for as little as 24 hours can be tainted.

Like the guy who came to empty my septic tank said as he wiped his mouth with the same bare hand he was using to empty my tank...

A little sheet never hurt anyone.

Tonyr
02-01-2006, 06:59 PM
if they are to lazy to pick it up, I'm too lazy to as well, just mow right over it, new or dry, when it cut and sprayed out the chute it is chopped fine, it will dry and break down fast.

decks self clean pretty well anyway.....not like they are a sterile thing.

in the tires, yep, it stinks! but it does fall out.....doesn't matter what ya do , you get it on you...when washing it off the water sprays it on ya, changing blades, the germs are there even if the poo isn't, this is just part of this great job we do....learn to enjoy others poo lol.

if a client paid you for the inconvenience, great. but over here that wouldn't float, people just don't care, people simply don't respect our work, we cut their jungles, we get covered in poo, we clean up toys etc, work around playground stuff, move hoses, dodge poorly installed sprinkler heads, put up with dogs that want to attack our mowers, trimmers etc.....then there is the lazy dope who hires us, won't even go there ha ha ha

Lazer_Z
02-01-2006, 07:04 PM
if they are to lazy to pick it up, I'm too lazy to as well, just mow right over it, new or dry, when it cut and sprayed out the chute it is chopped fine, it will dry and break down fast.

decks self clean pretty well anyway.....not like they are a sterile thing.

in the tires, yep, it stinks! but it does fall out.....doesn't matter what ya do , you get it on you...when washing it off the water sprays it on ya, changing blades, the germs are there even if the poo isn't, this is just part of this great job we do....learn to enjoy others poo lol.

if a client paid you for the inconvenience, great. but over here that wouldn't float, people just don't care, people simply don't respect our work, we cut their jungles, we get covered in poo, we clean up toys etc, work around playground stuff, move hoses, dodge poorly installed sprinkler heads, put up with dogs that want to attack our mowers, trimmers etc.....then there is the lazy dope who hires us, won't even go there ha ha ha
Love it Tony love it ^ lol I can relate. :waving:

Rob

Tonyr
02-01-2006, 07:17 PM
yeah mate....never a dull moment!:dizzy:

welcome to the world of poo :rolleyes:

we contend with pooey clients who give us the poooos, their pooey pets who give us the poooos, and poooey yards, their poooey kids, their pooooey neighbours, the pooey lowballing opposition, poooey dealers, pooey mowers etc, pooey traffic, and some of my wifes cooking is pretty bloody pooooey! lol, lol :drinkup: :drinkup: :p

ahhh, this all just gives me the poooes, I'm going to work now to go play in the pooooooooooooo, oh yeah!:alien: :p

Sammy
02-01-2006, 08:19 PM
:dizzy:

welcome to the world of poo :rolleyes:

:alien: :p
$hit Happens !:gunsfirin

SodKing
02-01-2006, 08:28 PM
Good trick I noticeed my employees doing...RUN over it and when make sure you go up on the pool surround/walk/driveway. It will horrify the client how disgusting it is and then they will clean it up.

With our clients with dogs we politely call and inform them that their cut day is " X " day and could you please have all dog waste removed. If not we will not be able to service that portion of the yard. Then when you notice that they have been cleaning faithfully send them a thank you note.

mslawn
02-01-2006, 08:56 PM
I just run over it. I am sure to go slowly back to the trailer to load up, because if your not careful the poo caught up in the tires will sling up in your hair.:eek:
The worst thing is when you are weedeating with your mouth open and accidentally hit a pile of fresh steaming poo - does not taste too good.:blob1: :p

yrdandgardenhandyman
02-01-2006, 09:14 PM
So, one pile of dog crap constitutes a $5 clean-up? I would refuse to pay it too! That is just part of the game.

Remember. He said if it was in the agreement.

To quote "In your contract it says,"5 dollar clean up fee.(and we use your hose)..." "
Why shouldn't the client pay for something he agreed to in the first place? What other "little things" that the client agreed to is he going to try to get out of paying?

And as far as why is it so important to clean the mower? Remember, you are going to service another yard after the poo yard. Some clients might not like your dragging someone else's mess into their yard. I know some that would complain to high heaven if I took my Z into their yard with poo on the tires.:nono:

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
02-01-2006, 09:19 PM
Sounds like we could call Mike Rowe and get on Dirty Jobs!...LOL:p

wherebluegrassgrows
02-01-2006, 09:26 PM
Dog poo kills grass......

mslawn
02-01-2006, 09:35 PM
Caught in the act!
http://image56.webshots.com/56/3/9/56/2696309560084793557MukkJL_fs.jpg

Ol'time Lawncare
02-01-2006, 09:42 PM
Bottom line... you signed my services agreement. please submit payment by do date ,if not i will suspend lawn service till payment is made... It's a dirty job, but some one has to do it! thanks guys i'm keeping the clause in my service agreements.

mslawn
02-01-2006, 10:04 PM
Bottom line... you signed my services agreement. please submit payment by do date ,if not i will suspend lawn service till payment is made... It's a dirty job, but some one has to do it! thanks guys i'm keeping the clause in my service agreements.

In all reality - here in our location - you simply would lose a customer over that $5.00 by suspending their lawn service. In a market so saturated with people cutting grass - I put up with the poo. I would rather have a little poo on the tires than to see my equipment sitting in my shop idle because of clients canceling because of a charge for dog crap, becauce if they do not pick it up themselves they simply do not care if is out there or not.

befnme
02-01-2006, 10:32 PM
ask him if the dog is 18 yet if he says no tell him that the dog isn't legaly responsible then............:p

LawnBrother
02-01-2006, 11:18 PM
Remember. He said if it was in the agreement.

To quote "In your contract it says,"5 dollar clean up fee.(and we use your hose)..." "
Why shouldn't the client pay for something he agreed to in the first place? What other "little things" that the client agreed to is he going to try to get out of paying?
That's not my point. He is talking about A pile, not a yard full of piles. I think charging $5 for stepping in/running over a couple is a little unreasonable. It's just part of the job. It would be a different matter if the guy had a problem keeping the yard clean, but that's not the case, right? That pile could have come from any dog passing by anyway. I can see charging a clean up fee in some instances, but for only a single pile of crap? Come on.

Green Quality
02-02-2006, 12:15 AM
just a thought

MoviePimp
02-02-2006, 01:50 AM
that is one of the funniest things i've ever seen.

MarcSmith
02-02-2006, 07:55 AM
Dog poo kills grass......

If the client does not care about what his own yard looks like or take pride in his own home, its hard for my feel enough pride to make up for it....I have a small dog(25lbs small poo), fox terrier and my dog is on a lead in the back yard. My fescue grows just fine and I don't pick it up....IN florida my yard was fenced and I neverhad anyproeblem withmy ST augustine, I never picked up, adn I doubt on any given day you could find 5 piles....But again its a smaller dog...

++++++
You'd probably be suprised and horrified to see where fecal chloroform can end up. That toothbrush you brush with every morning... I hope you sanitize it before you use it especially if it's kept in the bathroom. Every time someone flushes a toilet the water spins round and round and even churns a little. That movement causes small droplets of water to become airborn and what's in the water goes with it. Toothbrushes that have been in a bathroom for as little as 24 hours can be tainted.

Like the guy who came to empty my septic tank said as he wiped his mouth with the same bare hand he was using to empty my tank...

A little sheet never hurt anyone.
+++++++++++++

Did you watch mythbuster. they did a experiement on this. and they had one of the control sets of toothbrushes in a tupperwear container away from the bath room....it was just as bad as the 40 tooth brushes in the bathroom....

Richard Martin
02-02-2006, 09:06 AM
Did you watch mythbuster. they did a experiement on this. and they had one of the control sets of toothbrushes in a tupperwear container away from the bath room....it was just as bad as the 40 tooth brushes in the bathroom....

Yeah, I saw that too. It seems like the people who get the sick all of the time are the ones that worry about stuff like that. One of my neighbors uses all the anti-this and that stuff. Even goes so far as to clean all of the walls and ceilings in his house monthly. They are constantly going to the doctor. You have to let your body build up a resistance to that kind of stuff or when you do come in contact with it (and you will) you will get sick quicker and easier than someone who doesn't worry about it.

pjslawncare/landscap
02-02-2006, 10:49 AM
Its part of doing business. people have dogs. Dogs poop. Get over it

MarcSmith
02-02-2006, 11:27 AM
Yeah, I saw that too. It seems like the people who get the sick all of the time are the ones that worry about stuff like that. One of my neighbors uses all the anti-this and that stuff. Even goes so far as to clean all of the walls and ceilings in his house monthly. They are constantly going to the doctor. You have to let your body build up a resistance to that kind of stuff or when you do come in contact with it (and you will) you will get sick quicker and easier than someone who doesn't worry about it.

My daughterhasbeen battling ear infections sicne july, had two sugeries and has been on antibiotics for a while. we have been one month with no antibiotic and she is finaly getter her resitance built back up to the little things....drugs are nice, but there come a point a point where enough is enough.

LawnBrother
02-02-2006, 01:05 PM
Green Quality, that is absolutely hillarious!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

GrassBustersLawn
02-02-2006, 08:39 PM
You could do what I did to my next door neighbor, who let his dog crap in my yard. Take it and pile it all up on their front door step.

Mike

CBrosLawn
02-23-2006, 09:38 PM
what would you do in the case of a spring clean up?
I have a client who I'll be doing some front yard work (& eventually a good amount of work) for and she asked me to do a clean up and the back yard was a mess (I guessing it's been freezing so she dosen't want to go out and clean up after her two BIG dogs)

She mentioned cleaning up outside when it gets alittle warmer herself...so should I call beforehand (like a week before)and politely ask that any dog feces be cleaned from the premises?? just to make sure she has the crap gone?

I don't want to offend my client, but no way I can do the work it's like a "minefield"

Ol'time Lawncare
02-24-2006, 09:06 AM
you guys are funny, <one dog pile...> sorry but cleaning crap is not part of the lawn business! One pile, can do alot of damage! think about it. you hit the pile with the mower, some hits the side of the house, some gets on your wheels then on the driveway. what are you gonna do ,clean it up, or leave it there for the home owner to come home to see it all over the place? Or are you the sucker taking time to clean it up your self. Either way your losing money.

CutInEdge Lawn Care
02-24-2006, 09:34 AM
Thats to funny and yet a little sick as I sit here and eat breakfast anticipating brushing my teeth while taking a sheet(multitasking) J/K

CC Lawncare
02-24-2006, 10:36 AM
I don't take on lawns with dogs, unless the property owner keeps it cleanedup. I do have a couple situations where i do commercial sites that I have the occasional Brown Patch problem but I charge accordingly for the occasional annoyance by building it into my original price. I have also run into rental properties wher the new tenants have a dog and just leave everything lay. I just mow around it and then explain to the tenant that I will have to charge the landlord extra for the mowings if they don't keep the property clean. Thus far, that usually takes care of the problem. In times when it hasn't, I just mow around the fresh stuff, mow only the really, really, really old stuff and bill an extra $5 to $10 for the mower clleanup. I have never had a landlord make an issue out of it with me. The will jack the rent on the tenant first.

cush
02-25-2006, 11:31 AM
Glad to hear it was'nt the customers.

PGA
02-25-2006, 12:03 PM
Ill skip that part of the yard.

I have a customer who has 2 Golden Retrievers. Im there on Wednesdays every week at almost the same time. At least once a month Ill have to skip the back yard because there is 10-15 piles of dog crap.

Do I wait till next week to cut it? You bet.

Does she still get billed the same even though I dont do the back? You bet.

When I go back the next week and its 2X as tall do I bill more? You bet.

Do I want to get rid of her? HELL NO! SHE IS SMOKING HOT!

P & L Turf
02-25-2006, 02:00 PM
Well when this happens to us we just deal with it. In the beginning I used to wash the mower off in their driveway. I'd leave the dog crap, plus all the grass that was on the mower. Then I'd leave everything laying out. I figured if he didn't like to pick up after the dog, maybe he'd like to clean up the driveway and everything else. Yeah, that didn't do anything but lose customers and start to create a bad name for the company. Unfortunately it comes with the territory, and theres not much we can do about it but deal with it. Maybe you could pull the guy aside and do this to him.:hammerhead: I know I'd like to do that to a few of my customers!!!:laugh:

brucec32
02-25-2006, 09:04 PM
Collect the amount w/o the dog poop charge, and get rid of the customer. Then call him nightly requesting payment of the $5 if you really want it that bad. Some of you act like serfs serving your knightly masters. What the heck do you think self employment is all about? Good help is hard to find. If someone doesn't care enough about keeping you around by showing you the respect you deserve, you're either projecting an aura of neediness and submission and they sense they can do anything they want, or they simply don't think you do a good enough job to keep around and don't care if you stay or go.

Personally, I don't care about a little dog stuff. I'm not that prissy.

CutInEdge Lawn Care
02-28-2006, 10:40 AM
I become REAL prissy when the #$%$ starts hitting my lips and face. I had one customer last year that never pics up after her dogs. It had just downpoured about 2" (well that's a everday thing here in summer) and poo was sopping wet (the only time poo dries here in FL is during winter months) and 100% humidity I was sweating so bad and glasses were steaming over and didnt really see it till weed eater hit it and splatter. Nothin worse than the feel of the #$% in the face and mouth. We received aprox 92-94" of rain last yr. Deltona Florida

Ol'time Lawncare
03-02-2006, 08:25 PM
I become REAL prissy when the #$%$ starts hitting my lips and face. I had one customer last year that never pics up after her dogs. It had just downpoured about 2" (well that's a everday thing here in summer) and poo was sopping wet (the only time poo dries here in FL is during winter months) and 100% humidity I was sweating so bad and glasses were steaming over and didnt really see it till weed eater hit it and splatter. Nothin worse than the feel of the #$% in the face and mouth. We received aprox 92-94" of rain last yr. Deltona Florida
That's a funny story,Just look at it as a X-mas bonus!:usflag:

yrdandgardenhandyman
03-03-2006, 06:17 AM

Do you really mean "prissy"?? :p