PDA

View Full Version : Wish List!

cgland
02-01-2006, 12:28 AM
What is the one area of landscaping industry that you wish you were better at or wanted to learn? All pride aside, I wish I was better @ (or knew how to do) wet lay applications. I do alot of dry stack walls, but I love wet lay flag patios....I wish, I wish.

Chris

Squizzy246B
02-01-2006, 12:29 AM
What is the one area of landscaping industry that you wish you were better at or wanted to learn? All pride aside, I wish I was better @ (or knew how to do) wet lay applications. I do alot of dry stack walls, but I love wet lay flag patios....I wish, I wish.

Chris

Making Money:dizzy:

sheshovel
02-01-2006, 12:31 AM
By" wet lay" you mean on cement or mortar correct?
Cuz those words could be taken several ways.

cgland
02-01-2006, 12:34 AM
Sheshovel - Please explain the other definitions of "wet lay" as it pertains to the green industry.

Chris

Drafto
02-01-2006, 12:36 AM
My experience is minimal by some on this sites standards, but when it comes to customers I can really talk hardscaping confidently. As soon as a customer mentions plantings, I curl up like a slug running for a rock.

I wish I could talk plant lingo confidentally. I don't know a Uranus from Jupiter, I mean, I know basic stuff. But it seems like most homeowners take a liking to gardening or read some plant books and are far more advanced than me. Planting and gardening are more likely to be their hobbies then laying pavers. It is embarrassing when they ask me if they should put snap dragons there, or there, I just smile and say, THERE. In my head I am thinking, what the f' is a snap dragon?

Dan

kris
02-01-2006, 09:50 AM

Chris

Im with you Chris

hortiscape
02-01-2006, 12:18 PM
We all want to be great at all aspects of landscape, ie: hardscaping, horticulture, turf and arboriculture, and this is very good, but it seems to be the best at all these aspects there will be no time to do the things we like to do outside of our working lives. I would like to be better at perennials, but I feel it starts to crowd my brain with too much at once. To strive to be the most knowledgable as possible for our clients can also reduce our capability to excell at what we do best. I have some good people who concentrate on just perennial plantings and when my client asks for advice about perennials, I refer them.
They recipricate by reffering me to their clients for hardscape, horticultural services, turf and tree work. I know all tree and shrub species for our zone and how to maintain them, but to add such a large subject as herbacious perennials has proven difficult. But the basics are possible. such as snapdragon ect. There is a huge difference between knowing your base plantings such as junipers, crabs, ect. and being fluent in H. perennials, the large number of species and their variable growing conditions make this difficult.
Again, I am new to the site and hopefully I did not ramble, or get off subject too much. If so, let me know.
Paul.

PurpHaze
02-01-2006, 10:33 PM
Sheshovel - Please explain the other definitions of "wet lay" as it pertains to the green industry.

Chris

Just do a search for her "sex toy" thread. :p

PurpHaze
02-01-2006, 10:40 PM
It's tough to be great in all aspects of a broad field. I'd suggest you ask Bobby Gedd how he does it. :p

Seriously, be competent in a few fields and know where to get the information you need when you come up against a challenge in a related field that you're not quite up to snuff on, even if this means hiring a professional in that field.

sheshovel
02-01-2006, 10:59 PM

Chris
UUUHHH cgl my definitions do not pertain to the green industry..they would pertain to the
Hardscape industry.Or the human industry