PDA

View Full Version : straight and narrow

newblade
02-01-2006, 12:41 AM
What is the best way to get your lawnmower to go perfectly straight? I have tried messing with it and my stripes are not looking as good as they should.
:confused:

McClain
02-01-2006, 12:50 AM
Stop drinking the beer before you mow.......lol just joking..its tuff:laugh:

TURF DOCTOR
02-01-2006, 12:57 AM
Define a wb or a ztr

newblade
02-01-2006, 12:58 AM
Exmark ZTR lazer Z 60"

TURF DOCTOR
02-01-2006, 01:02 AM
For me look ahead to the point you are mowing it is a work of art few can run a straight line.

kppurn
02-01-2006, 01:06 AM
Focus on an object in the distance and drive straight to it.

kppurn
02-01-2006, 01:07 AM
Looks like Turf Doctor beat me to it. :)

newblade
02-01-2006, 01:08 AM
I thought that you should be able to go full speed ahead and get that straight line

promower
02-01-2006, 01:12 AM
Pick a point at the end of a stripe, something small, maybe a leaf or stick on the ground. Go forward and dont look at anything but that object. After you get the first stripe the rest is easy.

Green Quality
02-01-2006, 06:37 AM
Some of the things said are true, but keep in mind go for the shortest distance,for your frist run . then after, keeping your back wheel mathched and slightly over lap of the frist line.you should do fine with some pratice.keeping your wheels bolts and nut at the right torque,and making sure the wheels on your mower are true and straight,replace when needed.true art form comes when keeping your lines straight on banks and sides of hills,and over top blinding hills.best part about it .you get to try something new next week on the same lawn.

TURFLORD
02-01-2006, 07:44 AM
It's rough on residential lawns, they're rarely smooth. All those little bumps and swails throw you off. Looking at the end of the row doesn't help me all that much. I just have to get the first strip correct and pay attention to what I'm doing. Oh yeah, don't scratch that itch until the end of the row.:mad:

jtkplc
02-01-2006, 09:17 AM
I takes practice and you have to have a feel for it. I still think there are some that will never be able to get a straight stripe. 'Promower' now those are some stripes. I'm sick of seeing pictures on here where they have nice straight stripes and at the end of the stripe it curves off to the left or right. Very nice job!!!

rodneyskip
02-01-2006, 09:59 AM
Promower- That is what everyone is shooting for. Those are great!

I am with jtkplc- I hate when the lines swerve off at the end.

I agree with what everyone has said- the first strip is the most important. After that keep looking ahead- not directly in front- so that you don't make too many "minor" corrections.

Viseras lawn service
02-01-2006, 01:43 PM
if u want to get rid of the curve at the end just go around the property one more time and erase the curves, then drive off of the prop. now the lines are straight :waving:

jtkplc
02-01-2006, 02:06 PM
if u want to get rid of the curve at the end just go around the property one more time and erase the curves, then drive off of the prop. now the lines are straight :waving:

or just don't do it...

Most of the curves are longer than one deck width around the perimeter, meaning it would take multiple passes to eliminate.

daveintoledo
02-01-2006, 02:15 PM

if you check outthis link how to properly strip a lawn, the last step is to go around the perimiter one more time to get rid of turn marks and such...

http://www.scag.com/lawnstriping.html

promower
02-01-2006, 02:19 PM
I think doing you the longest stripe first is the trick. If you start with a short one each next stripe will be a guessing game at the end of your stripe which will make the ends start to curve. Once an end starts curving, ten stripes later it will be magnified into a big curve. In the pic I showed, I started with the longest stripe that I could go from end of the property to other without any obstacles in the way.

mkwl
02-01-2006, 06:33 PM
Focus on an object in the distance and drive straight to it.

Yup, I do the exact same thing with my WB's.

lawnmaniac883
02-01-2006, 06:35 PM
As others have said, I look toward a distant object to cut a straight path, stare just at that object and whatever you do, dont look at the wheels, tires or anything but that object.

Lazer_Z
02-01-2006, 06:39 PM
I think doing you the longest stripe first is the trick. If you start with a short one each next stripe will be a guessing game at the end of your stripe which will make the ends start to curve. Once an end starts curving, ten stripes later it will be magnified into a big curve. In the pic I showed, I started with the longest stripe that I could go from end of the property to other without any obstacles in the way.
promower I'm going to try your method come time to start cutting. I'm not sure what method I've used before but I always tried to keep a little overlap and well to me they looked ok.

Thanks for the tips guys

Rob

jtkplc
02-01-2006, 07:54 PM

Whenever I see I curved the end of a stripe, my next pass I correct it so that doesn't happen. Generally the pass that curved isn't noticeable if the following pass corrects it. It seems that if you notice a stripe curving, you wouldn't follow the exact same line on the next pass.

Jason Rose
02-01-2006, 08:51 PM
don't feel too bad about your not-so-straight lines... Iv'e been mowing since I was a wee one and I can't mow straight sometimes to save my life! I sure as heck can't do as nice as many on here post pics of (the one in this thread). I usually have better luck by starting at one corner (if angle cutting) instead of starting in the middle. I just correct any wierd curves after a few passes. If I'm making my firs pass thru the middle of the lawn I better dang sure have my eyes locked on something straight ahead! If not, or if I space out it's curve city.

CutInEdge Lawn Care
02-02-2006, 12:33 AM
You could always have a cop follow you around the yard. j/k

Boycea
02-02-2006, 04:18 AM
Promower, that is some nice work. All the ballfields around here are done with large tractors driven wide area mowers. Personally I feel your method of using a smaller mower looks best. What mower are you using to achieve that outcome? Any striping kit on it? Do you blow cut it or bag it?

naturescape
02-02-2006, 09:05 AM
Making the first stripe is easy if you follow the most appropriate sidewalk or driveway. Then, with each succeeding pass, just keep the front caster wheel the same distance from the last cut strip. Easy with a WB, harder with a rider.

promower
02-02-2006, 10:20 PM
Thanks Boycea, I cut it with a 61" Great Dane super surfer, no striping kit. This account is about as easy as they get, almost all flat, about 10 mature oaks trees. It's a kick back and soak up the sun job.:cool: