PDA

View Full Version : WB or Stander- which do you prefer.

rodneyskip
02-01-2006, 12:42 AM
Looking to get a new mower. Have narrowed it down between the JD 7H17 and the JD 667A. (I am not considering other brands because JD is here in town and they are giving me great price along with great service and parts).

My question is which would you want as your primary mower for small to medium size residentials?

Things to consider:

1.) THe 667 will have a 54" and the 7H17 will have a 48."

2.) the 7H17 is about $1500 cheaper.

Here are my questions

1) Which is more manueverable?

2) Which would be least likely to leave ruts?

3) Is the 667A that much more productive than the 7H17?

THanks for any input!

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
02-01-2006, 01:04 AM
Check your email rodney.

slebeau20
02-01-2006, 09:34 AM
Stander it faster and it doesn't take up as much room on the trailer.

jtkplc
02-01-2006, 11:08 AM
Here are my questions

1) Which is more maneuverable? The Stander will be more maneuverable, but not very good on hills.

2) Which would be least likely to leave ruts? I would say the Stander because it would be heavier, but with Standers and walk-behinds much of the rutting can be eliminated by the skill of the operator.

3) Is the 667A that much more productive than the 7H17? The Stander has the 54" deck so that alone will be 16% more productive, and not to mention 8.5 MPH of the Stander compared to 7 MPH of the walk-behind which is 21% faster. So my answer would be yes, it will be that much more productive and I would spend the extra $1500 for the 37% added productivity because you will make it back. Now obviously that is assuming you would travel full ground speed with both machines and I realize you probably wouldn't always be doing that. But one other thing I noticed, I'm a horsepower guy, I hate an underpowered machine and the walk-behind has a 17HP engine while the stander has a 23HP engine. I think the extra power of the stander will be beneficial for added productivity in thick, heavy grass.

rodneyskip
02-01-2006, 02:24 PM
One thing I forgot to mention- the 667 is an 05 model and the 7H17 has the new 7 iron deck II.

Therefore the 7H17 has the mulch on command capability

jtkplc
02-01-2006, 03:55 PM
One thing I forgot to mention- the 667 is an 05 model and the 7H17 has the new 7 iron deck II.

Therefore the 7H17 has the mulch on command capability

Which would you rather have?

rodneyskip
02-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Which would you rather have?

The one that I will be happiest with. :)

Just trying to do the homework before I buy- looking for people that have run either machine and see if they would buy the same thing again.

Rougher83
02-01-2006, 05:49 PM
"Quote"rodneyskip....One thing I forgot to mention- the 667 is an 05 model and the 7H17 has the new 7 iron deck II. Therefore the 7H17 has the mulch on command capability.

You might want to re-check that. As far as I know the 7 Iron II deck and the Mulch on Demand deck are two different animals. As a side note...I purchased the 647 last spring have been more than pleased with that purchase. The walk behind now collects more dust than it cuts grass.

Roger
02-01-2006, 09:01 PM
I think Rougher83 is right, or nearly so. From my understanding, and from another recent thread here, the MOD is an option on 7 Iron II deck. Further, I think that notion applies to Ztrak and QuikTrak, but I'm not sure for the w/b models. I suggest you do more homework to verify these thoughts.

Turfdude
02-01-2006, 10:00 PM
I dunno much about the JD, but imho for small to med resis (under say 12000 sq ft), I would go w/ a stander. The wright standers hold hills better than z's, are more maneuverable than z's, are actually quicker than z's on lawns of say 7000 sq ft & less and of course take up less space. My complaint about standers were w/ my operators. The guys did not leave enough decelleration and were making their turns too quick w/ out zero turning. They damaged quite a few of my lawns. I sold them & went back to 48" belts (Bobcats).

rodneyskip
02-02-2006, 11:09 AM
From the Deere website it seems that the 7 iron II and the mulch on command are the same.
The 7H17 does have the 7 Iron II deck.

rodneyskip
02-24-2006, 01:25 PM
From the Deere website it seems that the 7 iron II and the mulch on command are the same.
The 7H17 does have the 7 Iron II deck.

I stand corrected on the 7 iron deck and the mulch on command being one and the same. Their website is confusing though!!

I would like to hear from anyone that has a 7H17 wb and whether they would purchase the same mower again.

Roger
02-24-2006, 01:48 PM
I stopped in the JD dealer the other day for some pricing. The salesperson had some slack time so we talked for quite awhile. I asked about the MOD deck, and he checked his resources from the factory.

By what he found:

MOD is available only on 60" mowing decks, for the 757 and 777 models. That is all, no other models or deck sizes.

Anybody told something differently direct from the factory information? Please, no heresay, I think, or "I heard" stories, but what came directly from the order book.

There is no question the web site is unclear, and that is why I asked specifically about what was in the factory order materials.