PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat t140 and asv rc50

kiwiwill
02-01-2006, 05:46 AM
The bobcat dealer is bringing down a t140 for me to demo.
They have just arrived in our country and they are keen to get them in the workplace.
I will also be demoing a asv rc 50 after.

Was wondering if there were any test, or operations I should put the machines through to test there perfomances/ shortfalls.

I was going to take them out a do a couple of jobs with them. But I would like to see as much of their capabilities as possible before I buy.

Currently got a bobcat 553, so they are both going to seem alot more powerful than that..
cheers Will

Squizzy246B
02-01-2006, 09:03 AM
G,day Will, Hows things on the mainland:rolleyes:

I'd make sure you hit a pile and check out the anti-stall.

Basically you wont know yourself in either machine so it comes down to;

1) Service and Support - Your the judge
2) How the machine handles and does the job - Your the judge again
3) Maintainability - whats the machine like for normal servicing. I like the north/south engine arrangement. Have a good look in the engine compartment.

What type of controls will the Bobcat have?.

I'd be going ASV because of 1) above over here but your in the best position. I also prefer pilot controls because they are so easy to use once you get the hang of them...It can take awhile though.

Good Luck and have fun. I pick up my new machine this Friday.

Squizzy246B
02-01-2006, 09:16 AM
and I just know Xing wont be able to resist this thread:) :)

SPLC
02-01-2006, 04:57 PM
Just went through the paces buying a skid loader this past summer, I bought a ASV RC-85. Best thing I could have done. I have ran it for 4 months and would have been stuck at least 10 times in a tired machine. Tested a RC50, tested a RC60 and wound up at a 85, VERY happy with my choice. And yes, the hand controls are superior in every way. There's nothing like swinging your legs around in the cab and not having them aching and stuck in the petal wells.

I heard a stat. that in 10 years 70% of the skid loader market will have tracks, not wheels. This is for a reason.

Depending on what you will use it for, tracked machines are superior in every way. Traction and ground pressure namely (only around 3.1 psi for the ASVs vs. 70 or something for tired machines). Only thing is, if you buy a tracked machine MAINTAIN YOUR TRACKS!! The dealer should go through this process with you. This is the only downside to buying tracks vs. tires. That and the price difference.

Why ASV is superior in the track market in my opinion is that they use kevlar belts in thier tracks, not steel belts like most other companies. ASV has the patent on these belts and sells them to CAT. CAT uses ASV tracks and ASV uses a CAT Perkins engine. Best of both worlds.

Depending on what you use this machine for, on a downhill grade, ram a pile of dirt, get a full bucket (just like you would in the field), raise it, and back up. I almost dropped a load in my pants when the ass of the 60 lifted off the ground. The 85 was a must for me

JMHO - Good luck

SPLC
02-01-2006, 05:14 PM
Crap, Just reread your thread and saw you were debating between the t140 and the rc50 and that you already had the 553. Ah well, there's some good tech in my above post anyways.

Digdeep
02-01-2006, 08:02 PM
Kiwiwill,

Excellent news on your upcomng demonstration. My experience with both machines was similar to yours except that Bobcat didn't have the T140 out at the time. Squizzy246B made some excellent points. I ended up going buying the RC50 over the T180. Partly based on my experience selling "white", as Xing likes to call them, and mostly based on the performance of the RC50. It is incredibly fast, stable, and digs and pushes dirt like no other 5,000lb. machine. The 15" tracks and great ground clearance have come in handy as well. This is only my opinion based on 4 hours spent in a T140 this fall, but it is a heavy bugger (over 6,000lbs) that has roughly the same hp as the RC50, but weighs a half a ton more, is significantly slower, has minimal ground clearance, a short track length on the ground (rough ride), and has less lift heightand Bobcats hand controls are electric over hydraulic and there is a slight lag between the joystick movement and the machine movement that is noticeable during fine finish work, such as up against foundations, fences, etc.. I did like the cab, just like all Bobcat cabs, but overall i thought it needed more hp. It is the same chassis and engine as the S130. Best of luck with your choice.

Tigerotor77W
02-01-2006, 10:19 PM
and I just know Xing wont be able to resist this thread:) :)

I actually saw this thread this morning and decided not to post in it. :gunsfirin

But... among other things, my closest service rep friend (Bobcat) and I were talking today about a few issues, one of which was the pure inconsistency that has been going on in the CTL industry. A company in northern IL demoed a few machines -- as I wasn't there, I'm not sure which companies were adequately represented, but Case, Cat, Takeuchi, and Bobcat were there for sure. Testing the machines by pushing gravel up an incline, the company decided to go with Bobcat because it was the only one that made it up the hill. This was a T250, which has a rated "tractive effort" of around 6,100 ft-lbs, where a Deere and Takeuchi -- especially the Take -- are rated at around 10,000. Neither he nor I could postulate whether the test was accurate; both of us thought that whoever rigged the test probably also rigged the relief pressures on all the other machines. Certainly this isn't the case, ala a company that demoed an S220 and S205 against their corresponding products and found the S205 to be more productive than the S220. :confused:

We also discussed the Caterpillar product, which eventually got around to the UC. I think it's fair to say this: the reliability of the ASV UC (excluding the SR series) is excellent in moderate, low-impact conditions. If you start running the machines in rock or gravel, however, the rubber track and rubber UC simply doesn't hold up; they'll begin to fail at 1,000 hours. A recent Cat MTL required over $13,000 of repairs. However! this is not to say that in all situations, this would be the case. So the point here is that the durability of the ASV-Cat UC really depends on application. About the point of delamination of steel-rubber in the non-ASV-Cat UC: according to the service manager, Bobcat hasn't had this problem since Bobcat went away from the full-width tread (on the 864 and T200 for a while). Since the C-lug pattern, there hasn't been any delamination.

Of course, I know that each dealer is proud of its own product (usually), so I may have heard a few white (no pun intended) lies. Either way, just some thoughts.

Back to this thread: there is no surprise that I think the RC50 is a better machine. *gasp* Yeah, I do. The T140, unless it has some sort of horsepower management, just doesn't seem adequately powered to do anything. However wrong I may be, I'm not a fan of Bobcat's machines smaller than the S205 or T190. Maybe the S205 is acceptable as a relatively decent machine, but that doesn't change the fact that its wheelbase is too crippled to make the machine worthwhile as an 863 replacement (and the S220 is too big). (So go Cat 246B! And Case 440!) The only situation I would consider the T140 over the RC50 is in high-impact areas -- lots of rock, lots asphalt, lots of concrete, et al. Otherwise, RC50 it is.

I would still demo both machines, however... it's important to get that feel regardless of initial preference.

kiwiwill
02-02-2006, 05:18 AM
Cheers for the responses, its always good to get different views when about to make an important and expensive decision.

Someone threw a spanner in the equation today and suggested that for the extra money it is going to cost me to upgrade the 553 with a track machine, I could purchase a mini excavator or compact tractor. Both of which would be useful and allow me to use them for applications where the 553 is not the machine for the job.

Anyway the t140 is meant to be arriving anyday, so I am going to put it through its paces and see what I think.

I was curious as to why the t140 is so much heaviear than the rc50, even though it appears to have a slightly smaller frame.

Cheers Will

baddboygeorge
02-02-2006, 11:45 PM
asv is the leader in undercarriages they are awesome i love that rc-50 machine its nice machine for the money

kiwiwill
02-13-2006, 08:39 PM
Well The bobcat t140 came, I tried it for 2 days, and I thought it was great.

It is a very compact machine and did not appear a whole lot larger than the 553.
It had an enclosed cab which was really nice.
I was not pushing it to its limit on the job i was on, but I only had to run it at about half throttle. I nearly always have to run the 553 at full throttle.

Visibilty was excellent, alot better than the 553, I think because the seat position is a bit higher.

because of the cab I did not have to waer earmuffs, which was great, and it was no harder to communicate with the guys I was on sight with, just slide the window open.

I haven't demoed the rc50 yet, but will be doing that asap.
It will have to be impressive because I really liked the t140, had heaps of power, ran quietly and is very compact, but still has good capacities.

Cheers Will