PDA

View Full Version : Do enclosed trailers get better mpg than open?

Bulldog26
02-01-2006, 10:56 AM
I"m about to buy a new open trail with the thought I would get better mile per gallon with that rather than the enclosed. I thought the added weight and size would cost me more in gas than the open. I mow part time, I'm a school teaher and I drive 30 mile each way. I haul my equipment to school and all my lawns are on my way home. Based on mpg what trailer would be best to purchase? Thanks for any and all help on this.
bt

BSDeality
02-01-2006, 11:03 AM
open will yeild better mileage, the enclosed will offer more security + rain protection for your equipment however.

Bulldog26
02-01-2006, 11:08 AM
I read another post that the enclose will get better mpg. The back gates of the opens are a heavy drag on the trailer, while the design of the enclosed makes up for the weight/size.

work_it
02-01-2006, 11:11 AM
In your case I would suggest the enclosed trailer for (as BSDeality mentioned) security. Having a trailer loaded down with equipment sitting in a school parking lot isn't a good idea.

Bulldog26
02-01-2006, 11:23 AM
I do understand that and I would be happy to have an enclose trailer, but the miles I run gas prices as they are I really feel I have to go with the equipment that will cost me less. My school is located in the country issolated from traffic and there are camras all over the parking lot and I park in a location away from any parent traffic. Security isn't a problem, but it would be nice for weater and tool storage.

TURF DOCTOR
02-01-2006, 11:31 AM
Enclosed is the only way,mulching you will need a open trailer.

Bulldog26
02-01-2006, 11:33 AM
If I go with the enclose how dose it haul. Driving that much, on country roads, is thier a big difference in hauling?

work_it
02-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Bulldog, I'm glad you feel everything will be safe, but don't disillusion yourself. Theives have no boundries. And if you think the cameras will make a difference, or that nobody will ever see your equipment because of the location you park then you're fooling yourself. Keep in mind that a lot of LS members have reported equipment being stolen from their garage, or even taken off their trailer while they're working on a yard. Security is always an issue.

Bulldog26
02-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Bulldog, I'm glad you feel everything will be safe, but don't disillusion yourself. Theives have no boundries. And if you think the cameras will make a difference, or that nobody will ever see your equipment because of the location you park then you're fooling yourself. Keep in mind that a lot of LS members have reported equipment being stolen from their garage, or even taken off their trailer while they're working on a yard. Security is always an issue.

Good Point! But a thief is a thief and if he wants it bad enough he is going to get it enclosed or not it's just another lock they will cut. I understand anything you can do to make it hard helps. But the cost of gas is an issue for ever LS member as well.

Bulldog26
02-01-2006, 12:03 PM
Let me add this, when comparing the open vs. the enclosed, I want to know and open trailer with the rear drop gate vs. and enclosed. Thanks
bt

Jamesgateslandscaping
02-01-2006, 12:33 PM
No matter what type of trailer you run, you will get bad gas mileage. You have a mass behind your vehicle that weighs 4-5k lbs, either with open or enclosed, that will drag your mileage down anyways.
James

Bulldog26
02-01-2006, 12:58 PM
No matter what type of trailer you run, you will get bad gas mileage. You have a mass behind your vehicle that weighs 4-5k lbs, either with open or enclosed, that will drag your mileage down anyways.
James

I understand that, but don't you think it is somthing to take into concideration when running a business to know your costs and weight out the pros and cons of each purchasing desision you make. Trust me I know that my truck mpg gose way down pulling my trailer I just want others opinion on wich dose better so i can make an informed disision.

BSDeality
02-01-2006, 01:44 PM
what size trailer are you thinking of? what size truck do you have?

Bulldog26
02-01-2006, 01:51 PM
Looking to buy a 16' and I'm running a Dodge 1500 with a lot of miles.

Bulldog26
02-01-2006, 01:57 PM
One more thing, what about gassing up your machine? Do you have your own pump at the shop or what? Filling up with gas cans would suck!

BSDeality
02-01-2006, 02:01 PM
I had a 1500 w/ the 318 and it wouldn't pull snot uphill when i had a load on the trailer. I was running a 12' open with dual gates with a 60" Z + 50" WB with a couple trimmers/blowers and fuel. I averaged 12 mpg with the open loaded up, it was a slow ride but it got the job done.

I think 16' enclosed would be pushing it for that truck, but then again it depends how much weight you're carrying. whatever you do ABSOLUTELY ADD A BRAKE CONTROLLER! i got in a nasty rear-ender with that truck/trailer combo because the trailer i had was too much to stop with that truck.

BSDeality
02-01-2006, 02:02 PM
you can have fuel doors added (or make them yourself). they do that on snowmobile trailers all the time.

Bulldog26
02-01-2006, 02:06 PM
I'm with you thier, it seems like a dog on hills and the brakes could be upgraded. I have already added the brake but my trailer now dosn't have a brake. This is a tought one. I would like to have the ability to advertize on an enclosed. I will be hauling a 48" Tank and 61" Grasshopper.

PaulJ
02-01-2006, 02:07 PM
Have you thought about renting a storage garage somewhere in or near your route? So you wouldn't have to take the trailer to school at all? That's what I was doing when I lived about 18 miles out of the town I work in. At the end of the day I just back the trailer in and shut/lock the door. It6 kept everything out of the weather and was secure. I even had enough rom for some extra tools and fertilizer. Stuff I don't need every day but don't want to have to run home for when I do need it. I have since moved closer to town to a place with a shop but I might still keep the storage unit for the above reasons.

PaulJ
02-01-2006, 02:11 PM
As far as gas. I have about 10 gas cans that I fill up all at once. In our state we can get credit back for the road tax on fuel at the end of the year, but we have to purchase at least 40 gal at a time. So I fill all the cans up and keep them at my storage garage, I keep 1 or 2 on the trailer to fill up during the day if needed.

BSDeality
02-01-2006, 02:14 PM
adding brakes is an easy task if you have basic electrical skills and tools. All you have to do is buy new hubs with the brakes built in, run some wiring and change the trailer connector to a 6 or 7way plug. it is the first thing i did when i bought my new trailer.

I also would recommend the Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller. i had a cheap one for a couple days and decided it was garbage. it was basically a switch trailer brakes on or off, which sucks for slow-speed applications like driving through a parking lot or traffic.

kc2006
02-01-2006, 02:22 PM
yes a gate on an open trailer is like pulling a wall behind you. Even expanded metal doesn't "slice" through air very well. But you have to remember that gate is normally what 4' or 5', an enclosed trailer is about 6'-7' right? Either way, your pulling a brick. An enclosed is a heavier brick and bigger area to act as a wall to catch wind. Even if you get a V nose its still going to create drag.

When air passes over a truck, it creates a little bubble over your bed and then falls to the low pressure area right behind your tailgate and gets sucked into the high pressure area thats flowing under your truck. So its going to smack something no mater what.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
02-01-2006, 04:32 PM
I use a Silverado with the small 4.8 litre. I get 12 mpg. A little underpowered on some of the hills here in PA, but I'd rather get the 12 mpg over having a bigger engine and race up a hill and only get 9!. As for security, I have had a small mower stolen from a job before thats one of the reasons I went with the enclosed. Not to mention ya never have to completely unload. I also have cabinets in the trailer and use one just for the on the road office(invoices,estimates,insurance info, etc.).just my 2 cents :)...also gives ya a place to "p"..lol

Jamesgateslandscaping
02-01-2006, 09:18 PM
I get the same mpg either trailer Im putting, except dump when its loaded:dizzy: . I know what my mpg is in each truck, its part of the business though, we are in the business of using fuel:cry: . The enclosed is really nice, keeping everything out of the rain and secured is soooo nice, I dont know how I lived without my enclosed.
James

Bulldog26
02-01-2006, 10:50 PM
Great information guys! Keep it coming. Everyone has made this a much harder disision. I was set on the open but I"m wanting the enclosed now. Called to get prices to see the difference. I'm figureing double or more and $20-$50 more in gas a week.
The storage unit would not help, I set myself up to mow all the way from school to home. It works pretty well other than hauling the trailer but with the limited light doing this part time I have no other choice. Thanks again.
bt

TWUllc
02-01-2006, 11:04 PM
Can you AFFORD the enclosed trailer? Depending on what THAT answer is should determine what to do. Drive like a grandpa with the enclosed behind you, and don't worry about MPG.

You'll regret the open trailer once one of your trimmers/blowers/edgers walks away, or gets damaged.:waving:

PLS-Tx
02-01-2006, 11:28 PM
I pulled a 8.5x20 Haulmark last weekend, I could not belive how good it pulled.

Can't say about the mpg I'm still using an open trailer, hoping to have an enclosed trailer in 3-4 weeks.

Btw, I would be a nervous wreck with my equipment sitting out in that parking lot all day. I would be worried about theft and vandalism

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Bulldog26
02-02-2006, 07:26 AM
I pulled a 8.5x20 Haulmark last weekend, I could not belive how good it pulled.

Can't say about the mpg I'm still using an open trailer, hoping to have an enclosed trailer in 3-4 weeks.

Btw, I would be a nervous wreck with my equipment sitting out in that parking lot all day. I would be worried about theft and vandalism

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Thanks TAC,
The school is very remote: One road in one road out and I teach shop and have it parked just outside the garage door of the shop. If I had to park up front I would be much more concerned.
bt

nmurph
02-02-2006, 08:15 AM
i have pulled open and enclosed trailers of similar sizes and i don't see any differences in the mpg. expanded metal tailgates create lots of tiny vorteces that create drag, not to mention all the extra drag of the z's, trimmers, rakes, etc...... both will sap your mpg. here is another thought regarding security. lets say you get 12 mpg mileage with an open trailer and 10 mpg with an enclosed trailer. at $2.25/gal you have to drive 12,000 miles to recoup the cost when your $450 bp blower is stolen. don't be naive, something will go missing. or what if someone walks by and puts sand/sugar in a gas tank, etc............and there are other benefits to and enclosed that were previously mentioned;whizzing, an office, cabinets to store tools, parts, etc...........

Bulldog26
02-02-2006, 08:23 AM
nmurp, Points well taken! Ther r.r and the office are enought to make up the difference of cost.
Thanks
bt

Bulldog26
02-02-2006, 09:28 AM
what should I expect to pay for an enclosed 16'?

Eclipse
02-02-2006, 10:26 AM
I had a 60" ramp on my open trailer and did notice a slight MPG drop going to an enclosed. On average I would say I lost about 1 MPG but some of that may have been a weight issue. My enclosed loaded up weighed 1500-2000lbs more than my open trailer?

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
02-02-2006, 10:45 AM
my 7'x16' is a Cargo King...was made in Michigan...doesnt have the cadillac options of a Car Mate (such as led lights).....floor is 16" on center.. heavy duty 6''x4" box frame....roof vent...xtra 6'' high inside....two dome lights...ramp gate ..spring axles/both with brakes...was 4000 at Appalacian Trailer in Salem Ohio...www.appalachianmfg.com...their site has lots of specs and pics...

Bulldog26
02-02-2006, 11:42 AM
I got two quotes from MSI in Elkhart, IN same trailer different sup. $3795 and $4150. What do you think?

PLS-Tx
02-02-2006, 11:53 AM
I got two quotes from MSI in Elkhart, IN same trailer different sup. $3795 and $4150. What do you think?

What size trailer?

I think you would get more imput on the price if you started a new thread, everyone may still think your still talking about mpg. I not sure I'm still new to this.

Bulldog26
02-02-2006, 12:06 PM
16' tandom axle, 32"side door, 6' ceiling.

driftwood
02-20-2006, 09:45 PM
16' tandom axle, 32"side door, 6' ceiling.
I have a 7.5 x 19 v-nose tnt the whole back opens & a 4' door in the nose I can load both ways!!!

Brendan Smith
02-21-2006, 10:44 AM
if you don't want the added expense of enclosed trailer, look at getting theft insurance on your equipment. costs me about 100.00 a year for 15k coverage. to me, 10.00 a month is worth it.