PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Woods Ztr vs. Grasshopper

maintenanceguy
02-01-2006, 01:20 PM
After talking to a few dealers, checking out the machines, and reading posts here, I decided to add a Grasshopper Ztr to our shop.

I work for a public entity and we put the mower out for public bid. We had our bid opening today. The lowest bidder was for a Woods MZ3361. We spec'd a Grasshopper 432/61. Frankly they seem to be very similar machines.

I have two choices: 1) accept the lowest bid for the woods or 2) show that the woods is not significantly similar to the grasshopper we spec'd and reject tthe bid and get a Grasshopper.

If the Woods is as good as the Grasshopper, I'm satisfied with the lowest bid. Saves me almost 2K. IF the woods is not as good as the Grasshopper, I want the Grasshopper.

The thing that finally sold me on the grasshopper was the bagging system. We rarely bag but I don't currently own any baggers and could sure use one once in a while. And when I need them, it's usually an emergency right before a game on an athletic field somewhere. Rarely will this mower see athletic fields except for the occasional emergency bagging job.

So any opinions welcome on Woods vs. Grasshopper.

Mr Budget
02-01-2006, 03:26 PM
After talking to a few dealers, checking out the machines, and reading posts here, I decided to add a Grasshopper Ztr to our shop.

I work for a public entity and we put the mower out for public bid. We had our bid opening today. The lowest bidder was for a Woods MZ3361. We spec'd a Grasshopper 432/61. Frankly they seem to be very similar machines.

I have two choices: 1) accept the lowest bid for the woods or 2) show that the woods is not significantly similar to the grasshopper we spec'd and reject tthe bid and get a Grasshopper.

If the Woods is as good as the Grasshopper, I'm satisfied with the lowest bid. Saves me almost 2K. IF the woods is not as good as the Grasshopper, I want the Grasshopper.

The thing that finally sold me on the grasshopper was the bagging system. We rarely bag but I don't currently own any baggers and could sure use one once in a while. And when I need them, it's usually an emergency right before a game on an athletic field somewhere. Rarely will this mower see athletic fields except for the occasional emergency bagging job.

So any opinions welcome on Woods vs. Grasshopper.

I have run woods mowers for the past 10 years and will continue to. they are easy to service when needed, they are very dependable and provide a very good cut. the dealer that i buy mine from is also a Grasshopper dealer and he has said that i make a good choice in buying the woods even though the grasshopper costs more.

Richard Martin
02-01-2006, 04:07 PM
I'm not sure who's making the Woods mid-mount now. It used to be Gravely. I would take a Grasshopper over a Gravely anyday. And yes, I've owned and worked on Gravelys before.

Mr Budget
02-01-2006, 04:51 PM
I'm not sure who's making the Woods mid-mount now. It used to be Gravely. I would take a Grasshopper over a Gravely anyday. And yes, I've owned and worked on Gravelys before.

Here's Woods website http://www.woodsequipment.com/ag_turf/default.asp

jtkplc
02-01-2006, 04:53 PM

This pictures I've seen look like the new Bob-Cats. http://www.woodsequipment.com/turf_grounds/commercial/mown_machine/mz-series/default.asp

Richard Martin
02-01-2006, 05:11 PM
This pictures I've seen look like the new Bob-Cats. http://www.woodsequipment.com/turf_grounds/commercial/mown_machine/mz-series/default.asp

I believe we have a winner. Textron is now building Woods mowers.

Envy Lawn Service
02-01-2006, 11:04 PM
So the question is, which Woods model are you compairing???

In any event, NONE of them are going to compare to the 300 or 400 series Grasshoppers. Most of these are powered with 3 cylinder Kubota engines. So it is not fair to compare them on price.

Comparing to those Woods mowers, you should step down probably to the 200 series Grasshoppers. Those are available with comparible air cooled V-Twin engines.

ftgulal
02-02-2006, 12:28 AM
I personally would not own another woods, had a 6215, diesel with a 61" deck, purchased used with 332hrs on it, used it last year, put 147hrs on it, spent 2742.38 in repairs just to be able to mow with this mower. In my opinion that was ridiculous, I maintained the mower according to the manual and dealer recommendations, but got rid of it 2 weeks ago, just because I cannot afford to mow with this machine. I had a scag turfrunner prior to this and everyone said it was a high maintenance mower. That is why I got the woods, but the scag never gave me that many problems.