PDA

View Full Version : Is this feasible?

Tom-N-Texas
02-01-2006, 03:19 PM
I would love nothing more than to go organic, but I've priced the organic lawn fertilizer and it costs twenty bucks a bag....and that only covers 5,000 square feet! I'd need at least 2 bags per lawn. The chemical stuff costs $13a bag and covers 17,000 sq. feet.

I'm sure this is not new info to many of you guys, but how do you do it? How much do you charge for an average-sized 1/4 lawn? (The average here in Texas is $35-40) This just seems impossible to be able to actually make any money doing this unless I charged over $50!

Thanks, Tom

Norm Al
02-01-2006, 09:54 PM
charge 50 then!

Norm Al
02-01-2006, 09:56 PM
i have friends that pay $100 for a steak dinner!

people will pay whatever you want them to,,,,,you have to convince/sell them on the idea that its what they want!

mattfromNY
02-01-2006, 09:57 PM
Is that organic steak? I bet its more than that.

Tom-N-Texas
02-01-2006, 11:37 PM
I'm not the richest dude in the world...but I do ok....I make about $100k in a good year...and I would never pay $50 for a fertilizer application. But then again I'd never pay $100 for a steak either.

I think I'm probably in good company.

The Cowboy
02-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Check more sources, there are better prices out there. You can get organic fertilizers for less than 10 dollars per bag with equal or greater coverage. The days when organic was too costly to afford are coming to an end.

NattyLawn
02-07-2006, 10:18 PM
Check more sources, there are better prices out there. You can get organic fertilizers for less than 10 dollars per bag with equal or greater coverage. The days when organic was too costly to afford are coming to an end.

With the hefty fert price increases, the organic or organic based options must at least be looked at...

Are you the same Cowboy who was arguing about the right to apply pesticides without a license a few months back?

The Cowboy
02-07-2006, 11:41 PM
With the hefty fert price increases, the organic or organic based options must at least be looked at...

Are you the same Cowboy who was arguing about the right to apply pesticides without a license a few months back?

Yes and no. I was arguing for the right to apply unregulated pesticides without a license. Unregulated pesticides are just that, unregulated. What part of that don't people understand? I never even dreamed of getting away with applying a regulated pesticide without a license. I was making a point that the EPA didn't require a licence, so why should members of lawnsite?

Yes, I am the same Cowboy.:waving:

muddstopper
02-08-2006, 06:00 PM
Initial price of some organics can seem pretty high. What one has to consider is what it will cost in the future and sell future savings to the customers. I bought a product that cost $200 for 55lbs. Now that sounds like a lot of money but is it. that 55lb bag is suppose to cover 18 acres. Now that is only a little over $11 per acre, ( doing math in my head so forgive me if I got the number wrong). I also bought a product that cost $135 for 3-50 lb bags. sound cheaper, maybe, thats only enough to cover 2000 sqft. Both products have been tested by the USDA and proven to work but the $200 product doesnt improve the health of the soil and will require repeated applications. The $135 product will also require additional applications, but only of the cheaper protein for feeding the microbes. It will restore the soil biology. Once the soil is restored even the protein feeding can be reduced to only once or twice a year, and depending on care could be completely eliminated. Considering the possible future saving on fertilizer and additional protein applications the $135 product that only covers 2000 sqft can actually be cheaper than the $200 product that covers 18 acres. Its a hard sell to customers who only see the initial upfront cost but educating the customer can lead to profitable organic applications using premium organic products.