PDA

View Full Version : Toronto-Ontario and surrounding areas

TheGCentre
02-01-2006, 04:01 PM
hi everyone, just wanted to know how many people are in my area. It would be good to get some ideas on the "ins & outs" in ontario. Most topics on here are related to American states..

thanks guys

TheGCentre
02-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Am I a loner on this site?

heather lawn sp
02-21-2006, 01:53 PM
Kitchener, is that close enough?

heather lawn sp
02-21-2006, 01:55 PM
Kitchener, is that close enough?

TheGCentre
02-23-2006, 03:33 PM
Well, I was shooting for Ontario.. So Kitchener is included ;)

How long have you been in the business?

heather lawn sp
02-23-2006, 03:47 PM
16 years. You?

TheGCentre
02-27-2006, 12:02 PM
I'm just starting up, this is my first year.. I'm targeting the Newmarket area. Still distributing flyers and advertising

Ray&Christine
02-28-2006, 11:22 PM
I'm in Richmond Hill and work from here down to the north end of Toronto. There are a few people on the site from the GTA.

TheGCentre
03-09-2006, 01:32 PM
Wow! Finally someone who's in the neighbourhood..

Ray&Christine, do you do residential or commercial?

karol
03-09-2006, 09:32 PM
I'm from Newmarket. What's the name of your company?

Pristine PM
03-12-2006, 12:37 PM
Scarborough and Pickering is where I work. I live on the east side of Scarborough. Yeah, there are not enough Canadians on this site :) So many things are different in lawn care that I honestly never realized from State to State.

Jon

Gnyus
03-13-2006, 07:02 PM
Hey guys!
I'm from Montreal's subburb. I went to Toronto to visit a friend this week end and was surprised to see some Green Lawns! I was staying at his place on St-George between Bloor St and College St.
Go Canada:canadaflag:

TheGCentre
03-14-2006, 02:10 PM
The Garden Centre, I am planning to start handing out flyers this week.

TheGCentre
03-14-2006, 02:15 PM
earsal I am targeting the areas of Newmarket and Aurora.. I hope you don't mind ;)

It would be great to get some experience from you though. I'm sure you've gone through quite a bit..

gofrisbee
03-14-2006, 03:43 PM
Toronto here! Yonge & Eg

Half my flyers go out today, about 2000

We'll see how it goes

justgreen
03-16-2006, 12:25 AM
hey,

its my first year as well. I'm working in the Oakville/Mississauga/Etobicoke area. Mostly residential. How do you guys price?

Just Green

TheGCentre
03-16-2006, 11:06 AM
It's great to see people from the area in here. Pricing has been an issue for me on this site, everyone discusses pricing according to state, in US dollars and I cannot relate to that.

My intention was to start with residential only since it is an easier start and could be done by a one-man-team, but I did get quote requests from two different commercial sites. I have organized a meeting with one of them today and see what service they require.

shepoutside
03-26-2006, 10:07 AM
Cambridge area here :canadaflag: welcome aboard !!!:waving:

TheGCentre
03-29-2006, 12:29 PM
So how do you guys distribute flyers? I called Canada Post to find out if they would do it, but apparently a regular thickness paper flyer is too think for them to accept, it has to be at least .18".

Do you go door to door and distribute them?

cuttinjoe
03-29-2006, 09:03 PM
45 min north of Guelph is where you'll find me:canadaflag: :canadaflag:

This year I'm going out on my own part time. I work for a lco in town but there's lots of work to go around. I'm originally from Hamilton and considered moving back to start up a company but changed my mind based on the amount of guys already doing it. I'd love to hear from some lcos from Mississauga and oakville. With all those new homes going up I'm sure the competition is fierce. Plus the winter work down there doesn't pay nearly as well. We were out plowing 35+ times this year.

G-centre- I plan on using ads in the local paper but I only have about 6000 potential customers.

TheGCentre
03-30-2006, 02:09 PM
Well, there are many ways to advertise. I believe driving around and seeing properties and putting flyers in mailboxes is a good idea even though it is time consuming (but it works).
Also newspaper and magazine advertisements are good.

mdm property services
04-01-2006, 02:53 PM
i too am from newmarket, first year start up

TheGCentre
04-03-2006, 02:51 PM
MDM we'll probably cross paths in the future

Ray&Christine
04-03-2006, 03:24 PM
Wow! Finally someone who's in the neighbourhood..

Ray&Christine, do you do residential or commercial?
Sorry I didn't respond earlier, I forgot about this thread. We mostly do residential, but we do a few commercial properties. What part of the city do you work in?

TheGCentre
04-04-2006, 01:37 PM
I've been distributing flyers in Aurora, but more going to Newmarket and Stouffville

mdm property services
04-06-2006, 01:27 PM
i've been a technician at Magna Golf Club in Aurora, On for the last 4 years. Decided to go out on my own. I currently have 6 commercial buildings and working towards approx 20 residential. all my properties are in newmarket, aurora and Sharon, also a couple in richmond hill. Alot of money in this area.

Chris I
04-06-2006, 04:49 PM
I've worked for a reputable Burlinton-based company for 4 years and I'm going to start my own this season. I'm getting a late start on the prospecting, but hopefully I'll get some contracts. I'm focusing on residential sites in the Hamilton/Stoney Creek area.

justgreen
04-07-2006, 12:42 AM
hey guys,

It looks like there are quite a few people who were out today getting ready with their lots. I am in the same position as the guy above, where I've gotten a late start. I was wondering if I could ask some of the experienced members here what they would do in a similar situation.
If it were possible to get doorhangers made this late in the year, would you assume it is going to be profitable this season? or is it too late at this point to advertise and assume even a 1% return?
Also, at this point of the season, would it be more useful to go door to door to get some contracts, rather than through advertising?

Thanks for any help

JustGreen

mdm property services
04-07-2006, 08:38 AM
just green

i put out 2400 flyers in the paper a few weeks ago and received 6 calls. One lady has confirmed and i am still waiting for the other five. Next saturday, weather permitting, i am going to hit the streets with an aerator. with any luck it will be a sunny day and homeowners will be in their yards. i try to get on a personal level with potential customers and try to sell them not only on regular maintenance, but also additional services (aeration, overseeding, organic lawn programs, tree and shrub maintenance)
In responce to your question if your too late?? i would say no but for the return you will get i think there is better ways.

coif_kid
04-07-2006, 04:19 PM
This is my fourth year in the Business as Treegrove Lawn Services. I'm very concentrated in the Aurora area, but have some accounts in New Market. Personally, I think now is probably the best time to start advertising. To those who advertised in march, I know based on previous experience that you guys majorly overshot. While that doesn't mean no response, your response is certainly less than what will come in the next few weeks were you to advertise them.

MowerMoney
04-07-2006, 07:14 PM
Niagara area here. Been doing this about 4 years now.

Sean should set up a post primarily for Canadians. There is a difference from the US market and ours. Glad to see some more Canucks on here though.

The timing for advertising is a bit of hit & miss. Last year the season was a little later in warming up so late March thru April was pretty good. This year I feel that early to late March was right. I wasn't panning on advertising at all this year as last year I had all the work I could handle (want to stay one man) but I wasn't counting on losing a couple of my good accounts to a new lowballer. So I am hoping to send out fliers "unaddressed admail" by next Tuesday. (BTW I use 20 lb. bond paper & Canada Post delivers them no problem and I've seen regular paper delivered as well...this year costs $0.103 each)
In the past I found that door hangers work the best but I don't have the time now as I'm quite busy with clean-ups & aerations. So far this year I've gotten 5 new residential cutting clients just by referrals.

Bustus
04-09-2006, 01:40 PM
I'm from Brampton. It will be my fourth year running a student based company. I mainly advertise in the local papers. It's good to see some Canadians around this site!

TheGCentre
04-11-2006, 02:40 PM
MowerMoney, I tried Canada Post but apparently the flyer has to be at least .25 of a mm thick or they won't distibute it. So I was stuck with 2000 printed (5 1/2 x 8 1/2) flyers that I had to walk around and give out myself. I haven't gotten many phone calls back, but I have my fingers crossed.

Chris I
04-11-2006, 05:54 PM
I just got my first contract today! :clapping: Oddly enough I got the contract on the very first flyer I handed out! I managed to talk to the woman for about 10 minutes and she showed me her property, today we worked out the details for a weekly cut! I went a bit lower than I wanted to, but this is a very nice area and I wanted to be seen there.

I also got a call back for a spring cleanup which I should be working on tomorrow! So far I've handed out about 500 flyers and I've got two jobs, not bad! I'm going to place ads in the local newspaper and an online classifieds website, hopefully I'll get some more response.

Seasons
04-11-2006, 08:21 PM
Oak Ridges here. Hi Ray!

karol
04-11-2006, 08:56 PM
earsal I am targeting the areas of Newmarket and Aurora.. I hope you don't mind ;)

It would be great to get some experience from you though. I'm sure you've gone through quite a bit..
No problem. What's the name of your co....

TheGCentre
04-13-2006, 01:22 PM
The name of my company is "The Garden Centre"

mikestr
04-19-2006, 02:02 PM
City of Vaughan here... hello all....

Lynden-Jeff
04-22-2006, 01:25 AM
From Lynden here (near ancaster/cambridge). Will be restarting my business this season or the next. We will be coving, Brantford, Cambridge, Ancaster, Burlington, Hamilton, Flamboro, Waterdown and Oakville!

Cheers

Jeff

Jeff@SGLC.ca
04-23-2006, 03:38 PM
Whitby right here.

TheGCentre
04-28-2006, 02:28 PM
I'd love to hear stories about experiences from you guys. I'm sure we've all had ups and downs.

I started already. Sent 6000 flyers out with the local newspaper, and hopeing to get some calls soon

TheGCentre
04-28-2006, 03:06 PM
I got a customer who needs a quote for lawn mowing. the garden is very small, it's about 6' x 20'. The only problem is on quarter of the lawn is dead and it seems like something is eating through the lawn, the grass gets thinner towards one corner. I'm assuming this customer will need pesticide and fertilizer, any idea what i should charge for a job like this?

TheGCentre
05-16-2006, 02:06 PM
So I guess starting in April was too late! I distributed over 7000 flyers and not a single phone call..

Haven't given up yet, but I'm looking for other means to make income until business starts rolling

lil_cote_93
01-13-2008, 03:04 PM
im from windsor
anyone else on here from windsor?

pusher21
01-15-2008, 08:44 PM
im from the woodbridge area

dingybigfoot
07-12-2008, 03:03 PM
im from markham.
what's up everybody??

Alpha Property
07-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Hey, I'm From Niagara, Home Base is in Thorold, i do work in Niagara Falls, Chippawa, Font Hill, Welland, St. Catharines and Thorold

JohnnyRoyale
07-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Originally from Etobicoke, now in Innisfil.

jwalker17
12-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Im in GTA, experienced part-time/full-time with maintenance/plowing.

Starting solo for the 2009 spring season! Hoping to work my way north through Richmond Hill/Vaughn

Ideally sub-divisons in the north, townhouses/commercials in the GTA!

Anyone in the same market(s)?

lil_cote_93
12-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Anyone looking for older ryan aerators?
Got em for sale for $ 1400
519 818 9915

Alpha Property
12-30-2008, 09:20 PM
i am, how old? which model/engine? do you have any pictures?

doug bos
02-20-2009, 06:00 PM
I'm doug from alberta does any know of any used turf equipment dealers out east can only find one out here