PDA

View Full Version : Got a job

gravtyklz
02-01-2006, 06:31 PM
Well I went ahead and got a job with an excavation contractor. He does a lot of different work with different machines. So I figured it would be good working with someone a couple of times a week.

I was supposed to start out not using equipment....but he was short on workers....So on my first day I got to spend a few hours using a Cat 262B to dump stone into a basement for slab prep!

I tell ya....that 262B with steel tracks is a beast! I was on a pretty steep hill that was EXTREMELY muddy...had no trouble at all....and I promise you it wasnt skill!

Lazer_Z
02-01-2006, 06:34 PM
Congrats on landing the job. Good luck.

Rob

Scag48
02-01-2006, 07:18 PM
Nice! You'll figure out what it's all about pretty soon.

tylermckee
02-02-2006, 02:35 AM
I started out operating a shovel. Then got to run a dozer a little, then backhoe then excavator. gotta start somewhere.

zim bob the landscaper
02-02-2006, 02:08 PM
sounds awesome good luck.

Tigerotor77W
02-02-2006, 03:29 PM
Congratulations. Sounds like we have another Cat fan on the boards!

gravtyklz
02-02-2006, 05:49 PM
Well ive never driven anything else....but after driving that, and now a
236B....I couldnt imagine anything else being easier thats for sure.

Pilot controls are absolutely awesome. Power surely isnt anything to complain about either....they both have plenty.

Gravel Rat
02-02-2006, 10:34 PM
Thats the way you start if you pick it up quick I think you will work out fine some people have what it takes to run a excavator some people don't.

A excavator is one of the easiest machines to master you need to get on a rubber tired backhoe if you can run one of them really well you can run anything.

Working on steep terrian for me is trying to grab some of the seat fabric between my butt cheeks to keep you from falling out the front window :dizzy:

One thing I can leave with you is always beaware of your surroundings you can't let down your awareness. Your always watching for people around you other equipment etc. I one thing I can stress enough is know what your machine is sitting on especially if you are working on a bank or even chucking gravel into a house foundation and your sitting on the edge of the excavation.

Your swinging out with a full clean up bucket of gravel and it shifts the weight and all of a sudden the ground under the one side of the machine lets go and over you go.

A excavator will roll over easy if your not carefull I have already almost experienced that taking a machine to max gradeability.

There has been places I have been where I had the machine sunk up to the house (EX 150). There are places where the machine wouldn't climb a slope so your pulling and pushing yourself up with the bucket.

Becarefull and don't do something your not comfortable with.