PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee Crab Orchard stone????

FIREMAN
04-11-2001, 10:52 PM
Do any of you guys have a photo you could post here of this stone, I have a customer that wants a walkway(mortar set)of irregulars. Apparently he likes this Tennessee Crab Orchard stone..I have never seen it, I've heard it was expensive something like 255 per ton, 2 tons per skid..at 100 sq. ft. per skid....I am building a tiered retaining wall of mini creta and want to see what color this stuff is so I can check out the color match-up. I have been told it is some fairly ugly reddish pink color and just want to try to steer my customer away from a keeping up with the Joneses kind of impulse buy...I have always told my customers my honest opinions on their input and will continue with my old line "I would reccomend replacing that material with xyz becuase..blah blah..but in the end it is your decision and I will be happy to supply anything you'd like."...How do you handle input from customers, if it is against what you believe goes with the theme, color scheme of your design???...I should clarify one thing...customers are only given this curtoesy with respect to items of taste, color..safety and cutting corners to save money(if it will affect quality) are not negotiable. As always, I'm eager to read all of the opinions on this topic....

Stonehenge
04-12-2001, 08:52 AM
I'm sure there's a quarrier in WI that carries stuff called Tennessee Flagstone, and it has similar colors, but I can't find a picture anywhere.

As for convincing them about design ideas, well, I follow your same approach. But if after hearing my ideas they still like their ideas, I do it their way. I need to earn a living.

It's a crushing blow sometimes, when you have a design that you love, that you've already taken photographs of in your head, and accepted your design awards, and then it all gets swiped away from you because they just love this one kind of shrub and need to have it 'right there', where it has no business going. I just keep repeating to myself 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder....beauty is in the eye of the beholder...'

steveair
04-12-2001, 09:47 AM
Hello,

Go to "Guido's Equipment pics", there I have some pics of a job using techo bloc mini-creta(sandlewood I believe) and tennesse flagstone. the stone was more tanninsh, but does have red tinges to it.
I believe its under the album "steveair - landscape projects"

I believe the stone was purchased at Meier stone, in flanders NJ.

The pics aren't great of the stone, but should give you and idea. I have more available. The job is in Parsippany, so if you are interested, I would be able to show you if interested.

Meier stone - 973-347-1800

Steveair

FIREMAN
04-12-2001, 11:21 PM
Hey Steve, do you have the address for guidos equipment page????

Fantasy Lawns
04-12-2001, 11:26 PM
http://www.goliathstone.com/Tennessee.htm

Lanelle
04-13-2001, 02:07 AM
http://www.luckstone.com/arch/over_flag.html
I think of this type of stone as looking rather dated. Must have been popular over 20 years ago. Hmmmm, probably about time for it to come back into fashion.

FIREMAN
04-14-2001, 09:44 AM
Thanks all for the replies, well apparently it's not reddish pink, but it's still fairly ugly...lol...and yes Lannelle, it must be time for it to become"back in style" since I have recieved 2 other calls asking for this stone to be used in projects...beauty is in the eye of the beholder....It's a hard thing to swallow isn't it Stonehenge???

cmcfalls
04-15-2001, 08:33 PM
I live about 28 miles from crab orchard, TN the stone is a sandy color or a gray color. They come in different thickness depending on what you want. They cut it fromm 3/4 thick up to 3 inches thick. It looks real good for a walkway. A ton goes from 105.00 to 125.00 a ton depending on color and thickness. If you cant pics let me know and I will see if I can get you some.

chuck