PDA

View Full Version : GMC rear springs

Dave1250
04-11-2001, 09:54 PM
Hi all just though someone might know if I could put 1 Ton springs under a 1/2 Ton I will not be loading this truck with alot of weight but my 3/4 Ton and soon to be 1Ton will be use for the hard work but I need to replace the springs on this 1/2 ton because one is broken . This would give me a spare Thanks Dave

04-11-2001, 10:26 PM
I think it might be just as easy to have your existing springs repaired (replace the broken leaf(s) and at the same time, perhaps add a leaf or two) rather than yank everything out & start over. I don't know about your area, but around here there are a few good spring shops - one place to inquire about spring service/shops is at a heavy truck repair garage.

Also, putting a full 1-ton set of springs under the 1/2-ton will make it ride r-e-a-l rough :eek: unless you do load it down with a lot of weight.

Just a thought!

Dave1250
04-12-2001, 07:42 AM
Thanks Rob I will not be driving the truck only in the winter for plowing and I thought that I`m trying to upgrade to one ton trucks so if I start putting 1 ton equiment on when I need to replace parts this will be a parts truck or spare truck when . thank alot

plowking35
04-12-2001, 07:57 AM
They should just bolt right in, but you will need longer u bolts with the 1/2 rear end axel tube radius.
Dino

MTCK
04-12-2001, 02:22 PM
Measure them from eye to eye first and make sure they're the same size. I thought that GM made two lengths, 52" and 56" I THINK but am not sure. I'd double check that first though. You will need some different U bolts as Dino pointed out. Any parts store should be able to help out there.

04-12-2001, 06:19 PM
MTCK - I have heard the same thing on the 2 different lengths, although I'm not sure what the applications were. Measure beforehand!

Dave - having things "common" between your trucks is a good idea. Keep the good leaves out of your old 1/2 ton springs after the swap just in case you need to repair or add to any of your spring packs. If they're getting tired, the bushings in the 1-ton springs may as well be replaced while it's easy to do so.

plowking35
04-12-2001, 09:00 PM
I have swapped in 3/4 ton springs into 1/2 tons before, that should be more than enough spring for that truck.
Dino