PDA

View Full Version : 3500lb or 5000lb Axles?

PLS-Tx
02-02-2006, 12:13 AM
I'm getting two different opinions from two different dealers. One dealer says the 5k with the load I'll have in the trailer, about 3k, will not pull as good as it would with the 3500lbs. The other dealer says the trailer will ride smoother with the 5k axles.

Seems to me that the 5k will be smoother, and I'll never have to worry about overloading the trailer.

Eclipse
02-02-2006, 08:48 AM
I have never thought about this nor asked about it. When I am out shopping the next couple days I will ask the dealers around here.

grass_cuttin_fool
02-02-2006, 09:02 AM
Im not up to date on all the specs, but the liscense cost more for a heavy weight trailer, The trailer will prob have 16'' tires which will make it higher off the ground and harder to load and unload mowers, plus cost more when its time to replace them. It really depends on what you are going to haul, if its just 2-3 mowers I think the 7k trailer would be fine. But if you are hauling a machine that is very heavy, skid steer, farm tractor then you may want the 10k trailer. You have to watch also when you approach the 10k limit and a CDL may come into play then also

wayne

UNISCAPER
02-02-2006, 09:19 AM
I would ask the system and formula as to how the particular manufacturer achieved his rating if you are comparing two different axle brands.

Axle ratings are like break out force, hydraulic HP, engine HP and alike. There are at least 2 different ways to rate them so any particular manufacturer can get the numbers they need to sell a product.

Once you know you have apples to apples, hands down, bigger is better if you want to have a trailer that will endure the test of time. Ask yourself if you would rather push the trailer to it's limit every day, day in day out, or you would rather have a few pounds of leeway to spare. If you go larger, not only do you have room to expand if you need it, you are covered for most of the applications you would use the trailer for.

Eclipse
02-02-2006, 10:23 AM
Im not up to date on all the specs, but the liscense cost more for a heavy weight trailer, The trailer will prob have 16'' tires which will make it higher off the ground and harder to load and unload mowers, plus cost more when its time to replace them.

You have to watch also when you approach the 10k limit and a CDL may come into play then also

wayne

Good points.

Most manufactures avoid the higher registration and CDL requirement by rating the trailer as a 9999 GVW when in fact it is a 10,400 GVW. This is the difference between a $200 plate and a $300 plate. Also in Michian the CDL requirement goes off GCWR. 10k and over GCWR of the truck and trailer and you need a CDL. Here you do not avoid the CDL requirement but I'm sure other states are different.

On the couple I have looked at the deck height is 3" taller on the 10K, a taller tire and sometimes a taller frame account for this. With a beavertail I don't believe loading equipment will be a problem with the slightly taller deck height.

PLS-Tx
02-02-2006, 12:10 PM
As far as the size tires, both have 15", one is a 205 75 15, and the other is 225 75 15.

I also looked at the overall height, and they are both the same. I would think that the 5k would sit up higher.