PDA

View Full Version : Equipment racks

griffy77
02-02-2006, 05:12 AM
I have an open trailer 5'X14' TopBrand, and need some where to keep my gas cans and misc. I kept it in the back of the truck last season but want to leave the bed of my truck clear of junk. I like the look of junglejims trailer mate but $500!! wow. Iam sure its a good investment but i think i could have something like that welded for me for alot less.
I was thinking about a trailer Aframe tool box on the tongue of the trailer but wonder if i can turn the crank.

Does anybody have any pics willing to share to help give me some ideas for an equipment rack for open trailer. Does anybody use the Aframe toolbox?

chuck bow
02-02-2006, 06:23 AM
No Pics but i made my own handtool rack ,( shovels rakes brooms ect ) you can make it pretty cheap. On the trimmer racks i went with trimmer traps and the gas can holders were to dang $$$$ but i got them anyway from northern tool i think or landscaper suppy , actually it you have a welder and a sawzall you can make those can holders your self too. I should have did this but it was a long time ago and before i knew any better

GarPA
02-02-2006, 06:57 AM
Re: toolbox for gas cans, I have an enclosed trailer and last year I got sick and tired of them being in the way all the time. I am about to order a lockable, aluminum toolbox designed to fit on the front of the trailer frame. Its around $200 and there are 2 sizes. Having a welder make one of these would cost at least $100 and not have the recessed lid hinge, lock, etc.
It also does not get in the way when you jacknife the trlr on a tight backup.
Can't wait to get this thing put on....no more spilled fuel and fumes in the trlr.

I ordered it from Americal Van company.
AmericanVan.com

Creative Lawn Care
02-02-2006, 07:41 AM
I built a box on the trailer tounge that holds 1-5gal., 1-2.5 gal, and a 2 gal. roundup. Built it out of treated wood and painted black to match trailler. Built a shovel/rake rack at the front of trailer out of treated 2x4 and painted it black. Mounted holders for my blower, trimmer and edger to that rack. Total cost about $25. May not look as good as jungle jim but it looks ok and serves the purpose.

LawnTamer
02-02-2006, 11:04 AM
I have an a frame box and a couple of racks that I built, I'll get you some pics this afternoon, (my wife has the camera). For $500 you could buy a welder and the steel and build your racks and still have a welder. I use mine all the time, I build spraying carts, trailers, sulkies, benches and gates for clients and fix my own equipment.

lawncuttinfoo
02-02-2006, 11:56 AM
I'm in the same position as you, last year I had all my stuff bouncing around the bed of my truck and I had to strain my back to lift the heavier things over the side.

First thing I did was buy an a trailer tounge box from northern tool, they have 2 sizes in the diamond plate style. A taller one and a shorter but wider one, I bought the shorter and wider one and I still have plenty of room to turn the crank to lower the tounge wheel.

I'm just going to store tools in it and get racks for the gas/trimmers/blowers/string/large hand tools.
I read the post about putting gas into a box like this, but woulden't you be worried about a whole box full of fumes?

nherweck
02-02-2006, 12:40 PM
I actually purchased the one you're talking about...it is one of my favorite racks I've had. It holds my two blower, 3 trimmers, four large gas cans (or a mix of 5gal and 1gal) an air compressor, and a water cooler. If you purchase all those seperately..it gets pricy. If you know someone that can fab up something like it at a lower cost, go for it, but if you want something of quality go for this rack. Just one warning...the directions have VERY fuzzy pictures. They may have fixed that though. I bought mine last march.

befnme
02-02-2006, 01:57 PM
For The Hand Tools ;rake, Shovel, Etc. 3 Foot Peice Of 8" Pvc Pipe Mounted Up Right With L Brackets.

griffy77
02-02-2006, 09:09 PM
I am going to make a box just like junglejims trailer mate. I just wonder if its a pain to take the gas cans out of the top. I am going to change a few things. The side rack that holds a bkpk blower iam going to make it so i can carry a bkpk sprayer. I am going to add a solid lid on top of box but the rest of box will be metal mesh.

I will start a thread and show each step and show each cost down to the penny so in the end I can see if its cheaper to DIY.
You guys can watch the progess in the thread.

Still would like see some pics of other equipment racks for some ideas. Thanks

LawnTamer
02-03-2006, 01:02 AM
Here are some Pics. Sorry they are from a camera phone and some didn't come through at all.
Trimmer rack w/ spring loaded latch
http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL589/2451875/9178958/128087813.jpg

Gas can rack, just finished it and waiting for paint to dry
http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL589/2451875/9178958/128088129.jpg

I also mounted the big lockable box on the front if you want I'll get another pic of it. I mounted it with the hinge at the front so if it ever didn't get latched properly it wouldn't fly open on the freeway. I keep tools, sprinkler parts and spare belts/blades/filters & plugs in it.

Here is a simple sulky, easy to build and works great.
http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL589/2451875/9178958/128088175.jpg
Let me know if you want more or better pics. All this stuff is real easy to build