PDA

View Full Version : The big job I talked about

McClain
02-02-2006, 09:25 AM
OK heres the deal: I was wrong and I admit it. How many of you would take a 43 acer job, w/12 islands and the rest spread out over 102 acres w/alot of trim and not having the equipment to do it and having to go buy 2 72" mowers with additional insurance? Should I do it? Yes it is my first bid for over 25k a yr but how else would i get started?

Duck Dodger
02-02-2006, 09:31 AM
You say over 25k a year not knowing how much trimming involved I would have to start at 41k rock bottom price. If you are bidding like that no you shouldn't do it you will lose your shirt.

daveintoledo
02-02-2006, 09:33 AM
some people are rabbits and some are turtles.. you know what i mean... im more slow and cautious....looking at what the 25 grand will be after expenses.... its not much profit to have, to have had to buy two new 72in z's........i like to build as i go along slowly... gaining exerience and knowledge...

some folks are just different... they go full bore and all..... in the long run they may come out ahead.......im just a little less of a gampler....

you may have tons of experience compared to me and be ready for a job like that... i know i am not, and try an realise my limits for now....

i hope it all goes good for you...:)

4x4Jim
02-02-2006, 09:35 AM
OK heres the deal: I was wrong and I admit it. How many of you would take a 43 acer job, w/12 islands and the rest spread out over 102 acres w/alot of trim and not having the equipment to do it and having to go buy 2 72" mowers with additional insurance? Should I do it? Yes it is my first bid for over 25k a yr but how else would i get started?

I wouldn't touch it for any less then $50k.

McClain
02-02-2006, 09:36 AM

SORRY I met take it for 50k that is what he said I could get the job for...I just met that this was my 1st big job like this............

heather lawn sp
02-02-2006, 09:43 AM
We can do 25 acres a day with 72" & 54" ZTR's, add a third person and a spare trimmer if there is more than 4 hours trimming. this was in one small town with 5 schools around the town. trailered, 10 to 15 minutes hop each and then back out of town, half hour to base each way. the question should be What are you going to do with those big Z's the other 3 and a half days a week? OR one big Z and a push mower/ trimmer operator. Take 3 days per week and use the other equipment the rest of the week

Could the 45k actually include the cleaning. we do inside and outside work and the cleaning portion can really mount up quickly

McClain
02-02-2006, 10:31 AM
We can do 25 acres a day with 72" & 54" ZTR's, add a third person and a spare trimmer if there is more than 4 hours trimming. this was in one small town with 5 schools around the town. trailered, 10 to 15 minutes hop each and then back out of town, half hour to base each way. the question should be What are you going to do with those big Z's the other 3 and a half days a week? OR one big Z and a push mower/ trimmer operator. Take 3 days per week and use the other equipment the rest of the week

Could the 45k actually include the cleaning. we do inside and outside work and the cleaning portion can really mount up quickly

i have other big acounts just not this big so I never upgraded to bigger equip.
no I dont think the cleaning is included because this place is the size of well the grass area is 43 acres out of 102 acres.

Remsen1
02-02-2006, 11:20 AM
I would definitely be interested, but would only take it after careful consideration of expectations, time and expenses vs. revenue and capability. I'd try not to put all my eggs in one basket. If I bought a 72" or two 72s, then I would want to try to line up some other work for them just in case this fell out for any unforseen reasons.

lsylvain
02-02-2006, 03:42 PM
I've been out of the loop for a while sold my biz bout 2.5 years ago so i'm not 100% what has happened to prices in that time. But I would say if you want it, take it. You don't nessesarily need to buy 2 new 72's right away, I'm sure there are other options to look into than buying 15-20K in mowers for a job you may not get next year. Do you really NEED 2 72" ztrs or do you WANT 2 new ztrs. Perhaps you could use a belly mower, or get a couple of 60" belt drive walk behinds and velkies for half the price of the ztrs. Just a thought.

Flex-Deck
02-02-2006, 04:03 PM

I got into the big commercial right away, because I had equipment that was powerful enough to handle extra width of mowers I hung on it. (I make my own additions to mowing machines.) IE. first real big job was 20-22 acres with 1 mile of curbs to trim. My wife and I do it on an average in 2hrs. 50min. (Two machines.) We make about $165 per hr. tack time, and that includes the trimming, (You must realize I have a different set-up than the normal LCO) My mowers trim curbs.

lawnmaniac883
02-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Well, 2 new ztrs will not be the only addition here. Is your current trailer big enough to fit 2 massive trailers on? Is your truck large enough to pull these big machines with all the other necessary equipment? Only way to take this one on safely is to get a 2 year contract with the guy. This may not work, but if it does, you now have the equipment necessary to do these large commercial properties. JMO

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
02-02-2006, 06:30 PM
I do not think that I would take it unless you I was already equipped to do so, or if it wouldn't require much of an increase in expense. It all would come down to how much risk one is willing to take, and the expense to profit ratio and whether it made since or not.

Collin
02-02-2006, 07:54 PM
I got into the big commercial right away, because I had equipment that was powerful enough to handle extra width of mowers I hung on it. (I make my own additions to mowing machines.) IE. first real big job was 20-22 acres with 1 mile of curbs to trim. My wife and I do it on an average in 2hrs. 50min. (Two machines.) We make about $165 per hr. tack time, and that includes the trimming, (You must realize I have a different set-up than the normal LCO) My mowers trim curbs.

Do you have any troubles with belts? Good looking set up.:)

Precision
02-02-2006, 08:32 PM

Am I right, that is 28 cuts at $20 per acre per cut? For me that would cover the mowing ONLY. Line trimming, edging, and all the other stuff would be extra from that price.

3 acres per hour per man average. 14 man hours mowing per cut. So that is just over $60 per man hour not including drive time, maintenance, billing time or anything else. So realistically more like $45 per man hour after all time is counted. JUST for MOWING.

I would probably be looking more like double when you include line trimming, edging and blowing. If not more.

$25K looks good until you realize it cost you $35K to do it.

McClain
02-02-2006, 08:59 PM
Am I right, that is 28 cuts at $20 per acre per cut? For me that would cover the mowing ONLY. Line trimming, edging, and all the other stuff would be extra from that price.

3 acres per hour per man average. 14 man hours mowing per cut. So that is just over $60 per man hour not including drive time, maintenance, billing time or anything else. So realistically more like $45 per man hour after all time is counted. JUST for MOWING.

I would probably be looking more like double when you include line trimming, edging and blowing. If not more.

$25K looks good until you realize it cost you $35K to do it.

I think I can get the job for 50K per yr

Precision
02-02-2006, 09:23 PM
I think I can get the job for 50K per yr

If your anticipated expenses (including payroll for yourself) are less than $42K then I say go for it. if not. then I would pass. Just my opinion.

LwnmwrMan22
02-02-2006, 09:41 PM
How come the numbers keep changing so that finally someone will say "YES YES YES TAKE IT?!?!?!

McClain
02-02-2006, 09:42 PM
After careful review I am going to pass on this opportunity thanks for all the advise...........:drinkup: have one on me

Flex-Deck
02-03-2006, 01:28 PM
Do you have any troubles with belts? Good looking set up.:)

Belts run about 800 hrs. they mow flexed up 50 degrees, down 13

Envy Lawn Service
02-03-2006, 09:57 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=49236&stc=1&d=1138910615

Dang it Brad, now that's what I was talking about!!!!!!
One on each side!

That one is set up soooo much better than the past ones.
Clean, practical, symetrical and acceptable.
That one looks the part of a specialty machine instead of a contraption.

Now if you have some more pics of that I'm interested.
You should add them to your website also...

P.S. > I didn't know you went all out for the Special Edition model X Tractor.
But what in the heck is that black thing on the left side???

LwnmwrMan22
02-03-2006, 10:17 PM

One on each side!

It's got splash guards on the front wheels too.... something that ZTR's should have.

Envy Lawn Service
02-04-2006, 08:16 AM
Yeah, it reminds me of the DS650 ATV's

Flex-Deck
02-04-2006, 08:53 AM

One on each side!

Not going to put it on the web until it has some hrs under its belt - got to make sure it works like it is supposed to.

Envy Lawn Service
02-05-2006, 04:58 AM
Not going to put it on the web until it has some hrs under its belt - got to make sure it works like it is supposed to.

Yeah, I understand that.
I like what I see though.

Now... what is that black and white thing that looks like it's sitting on the left footboard?

Flex-Deck
02-05-2006, 09:20 AM
Yeah, I understand that.
I like what I see though.

Now... what is that black and white thing that looks like it's sitting on the left footboard?

It's a second radiator - Allows me to run all day without blowing out the radiators - Keeps it running nice and cool. It is ducted back to the original radiator, and I have a thin line electric fan on it.