PDA

View Full Version : This is a kinda cool Bridge

sheshovel
02-02-2006, 09:51 AM
Anybody ever built one of these?I think it's a cool little bridge over a Koi pond at my supply yard

mbella
02-02-2006, 10:05 AM
I think Treedoc posted some pics of a large bridge he built.

UNISCAPER
02-02-2006, 10:08 AM
We have a glass bridge going over a raceway with stainless steel side rails down in Coronado. 2" thick glass with sandblasted traction points, 2" thick. I tried like heck to get the owner to let us form the thing and pour it but he wanted glass. Nonetheless, cool effect. Is that Quartzite on the top? Hardest most digusting stone to work with know to man. Looks good when done though....

sheshovel
02-02-2006, 12:51 PM
Yep I believe it is Quartzite flag

cgland
02-02-2006, 06:08 PM
looks good! I love the natural stone bridges.

chris

kris
02-02-2006, 06:29 PM
Ya that looks very cool..

have you got a pic of that glass bridge uni?

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
02-02-2006, 06:33 PM
I think that looks pretty good.

MarcusLndscp
02-02-2006, 07:32 PM
Very cool, I love different applications of stone work like that. Do you know what the main structure of it's made of??? Was it just a concrete arch they mortared flagging on to?

UNISCAPER
02-02-2006, 09:57 PM
It's not built yet. The owner had his son who owns a welding shop make it and heez one of those touchy feely get it done whatever folks living inside a blue bubble.

So, I'm thinking I'll check back in March to see if the guys moving along.

MarcusLndscp
02-02-2006, 11:09 PM
Anyone else have pics of cool bridges they've built? Wood,stone, or any other material. Here's one some of you may have seen before of a bridge we built. We designed the whole thing. We gave a fabrication shop the description of what we wanted w/ the appropriate dimensions/arch and they built us a frame that we then added decking to and all the cedar railings and light posts. The structure sits on jersey barriers...one on each side and is bolted right to the topside of the barriers.
Sorry, Sheshovel. Not trying to hijack your thread, rather get some more involvement in it. Good topic that we've never really discussed before.

UNISCAPER
02-03-2006, 10:21 AM
Nice work Marcus! I only wish we had properties that large around here!

MarcusLndscp
02-03-2006, 10:39 AM
Nice work Marcus! I only wish we had properties that large around here!
Thanks Bill! This was kind of a different client. The bridge left the homeowners property and went over to a commercial property. The homeowner had us build a "park" of sorts on his property for his neighborhood to access a private club through. There was also a private access for a ski slope ski slope we built for him so he and his neighbors did not have to get on the lifts. He was such a big $$$ person in the area the mountain agreed to have their groomers take care of the access we built for him. If I remeber correctly it took something like 3 or 4000 yards of fill to create and redefine the ski access area for him. It was a unique consideration factoring in the size and manueverability of a groomer and it's impact on the landscape.
What are the size of the sites that you are typically involved with Bill? More commercial settings or what?

UNISCAPER
02-03-2006, 10:51 AM
California properties, even those into the 5mm plus range are rarely ever over an acre. There is not one single home I have seen, my own including that is truely worth half what it would sell for in this entire state. They give you recycled molded cereal boxes for trim and paint it white rather than wood, they give you a slab, claiming doing basements are too costly, even though you have the same in excavatiuon vs grading, they give you lots with slopes crazier than hell and call it your land....

Our average job size is around $70K, and that is on a lot with about 3500 sf of usable space. Our highest project to date is at 3.9mm, and that is a year long venture. That one has about 20 acres, which is very rare in a coastal community.

What sickens me is when some idiot starts boasting to me about what a deal they got on their house at 2mm...GULP! Yeah, slab cardboard trim, pasteboard doors rather than 6 panel, no wood sashes inside, a driveway that is 18' wide because the builders mighht use 2 more yards of mud to pour it...

Anyway, I'm ranting. Sorry to get sidetracked here...All this inadequecy helps the costs of what we sell. Even though I loathe the idea os the cost and what is given for that cost, it's really God's blessing to me that people in CA are so willing to settle for so much inadequecy. So, life is great!

MarcusLndscp
02-03-2006, 11:59 AM
No problem on the ranting Bill. You've only inspired another thread for me to start later on. I actually thought of it yesterday but the description of your area has inspired me to hurry up and post it soon.

dmcoburn
02-03-2006, 12:26 PM
here is an Ironwood decked bridge with steel structure underneath we custom built that goes over a waterfall and pond we installed this past spring. also if you can see it we found a giant stone and set it going across the stream section as a bridge to connect to this odd shaped patio. Think I could sell these wooden and Steel bridges on a small custom production type basis?

sheshovel
02-03-2006, 01:28 PM
Yes it is cement with flag face.The wood one is very nice!
I love bridges and yes I think you could sell custom made steel bridges like that very easily for good $$ too.

cgland
02-03-2006, 10:28 PM
it's really God's blessing to me that people in CA are so willing to settle for so much inadequecy. So, life is great!

Bill - What are you saying? Your work is subpar, so your glad people in California do not know any better and are willing to settle for crap?!?! That doen't sound like you.

Chris

UNISCAPER
02-03-2006, 11:07 PM
Let me clarify. Consider the lot size, and the driveway width and the slab with no basement, and the plastic framed windows, not to mention recycled cereal boxes for trim.

That is settling for inadequecy. Then consider the envronmental impact fees tacked on to every job. Now, people are paying on average, $800K for a freeken tract home with no flippin land, thus, why we bought so much micro equipment. Of those costs, there are 130K in environmental compliance laws to follow or get fined. Of every 70K job we do, $9K are environmental compliance laws. Instead of building a water treatment plant and processing the waste water correctly, these whackos drop it into the ocean and fine contractors if they spill dirt on streets.

Thus, the settle for inadequecies. I could work for far less money and live just as well if these knumbskulls would not accept all the crap passed along for houses. At best guess, the home has $100K in it. Excuse the hug a tree crap tacked on.

And yes, when they purchase their home, I'm glad they settle for crap, because then we can charge a good price to come in and make it pretty. What amazes me, is that people accept the junk that's out there and actually think they have something! Yet, the schools have no busses, why, no money....And the San Diego infrastructure is falling apart and failing. Why? No money...BUT THEY CONTINUE TO PAY THE RIDICULOUS PRICES FOR HOMES!!!!! It drives me to drink and was one of the main reasons why shortly after I moved here, I almost had my suitcases packed 4 separate times. It has truely been an adjustment. I'm well beyond the left coast, this is freeken off the planet!

Sorry once again to hijack and rant. I'll l;eave it at this. Anytime anyone wants to come out for a visit, we have a spare bedroom, I'll take you to work and show you around. When I drive you through the 5 million dollar subdivisions you would be hard pressed to see a million dollars of worth there. But, we got weather! That's what they pay for, and that's why they pay it. And that's why builders and developers get away with building such garbage. Weather...Get it now Chris?