PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed for Selling Your Business

LittleTLC
02-02-2006, 12:21 PM
Hi everyone...

Need some advice! We are trying to sale an existing lawn care business. I won't bore you with the details but long story short, it took up more time than I was willing to sacrifice.

We are now looking to sale our business locally and need your opinion on what's the best way to do this? Should we run an ad in the local paper? Or would it be better to contact all the local lawn care businesses by phone? Would you be bothered if someone called you to ask if you were interested in buying an existing business? What's the best approach here?

Would you be interested in the existing customer base and the existing equipment of the business? Does that have any value to you?
What would be a fair assessment of the value of the customer? Would you be interested in buying that customer list, considering what it costs to advertise and get new customers? Or would you prefer to get your customers the conventional ways, since there are no guarantees that the customer list will continue to do business with you?

How about the equipment? We have a trailer and some half decent lawn mowers, a riding lawn mower, weedwackers, blowers etc. They are all almost two years old. Would this equipment interest you since its almost two years old? IF so what would you base your interest on? Would it be solely based the cost of the equipment and condition of the equipment? Would the manufacturer of the equipment matter to you? How would you, if you were the seller, fairly determine the value of the equipment?

If you have any suggestions, please post them here. Also, if you know of any on line resources which will help, I'd appreciate that too.

Thank you for your posts. I appreciate your professional opinions! Best of luck in your business!

P.S. GO Steelers!

BufalinoLand
02-02-2006, 01:24 PM
Exactly what equipment do you have for sale IM about 3 or 4 hours away and always looking for good back up

thanks

scagwildcat
02-02-2006, 01:30 PM
here is what i think, not to put you down, but why would another lco buy your accounts ,when after your gone, your clients will call them for free!!!!

LittleTLC
02-04-2006, 04:17 PM
These items are available for sale as part of a business:

Craftsman Lawn Tractor - 18.5 HP 42" Mower Electric Start 6 speed transaxle
Craftsman Rotary Lawn Mower 6.75 Hp 21" Rear Discharge
Rotary Lawn Mower 4.5 HP
2004 US Cargo Trailer 6.5 x 10
Craftsman Black Weedwacker 32cc/1.9 cu in 2-Cycle Gasoline
Weedwacker 25cc 2-Cycle Gasoline
Troy Built Blower/Vac
Poulin Hedge Trimmer

Again, we'd prefer to sale it all or nothing and as part of a business here in the Altoona, central PA, area but if you are interested let me know.

And thank you for your interest!

MudslinginFX4
02-04-2006, 06:20 PM
I think I'd try to sell the equipment at a yard sale. The accounts are worthless to me, I would never buy accounts from someone with no guarantee the customers will stay with me. The most I have ever given someone on an account is the price of one cut.

afftandem
02-04-2006, 06:58 PM
It's all residential equipment.. not worth anything... especially since i know u've been using it in a lawn care business.

Could buy all that equipment used for around a $1,000 off a homeowner who only used their equipment once a week (if that).

As far as your lawns go.. im assuming you have no one under contract... so they themselves are worth next to nothing.

At most I would consider giving you the price of one mow (as previously posted) and thats considering you didnt underbid yourself on any of them.
I would also ensure that I was guaranteed at least 5 mows for each one purchased for u to be paid in full.

As for your residential equipment, that was used for professional lawn care, I would haul it away for you for $50. Try a repair shop that sales used equip.. They may give u a couple hundred w/ no hassel of saling it piece by piece.

lawn_jockey
02-06-2006, 09:31 AM
I would give you 2 mows worth for each client and ask that we introduce the new guy to the client to explain that the service will remain the same and uninterrupted. Then throw all the equipment you have in a garage sale cause I wouldn't touch it. After you agreed to that I would make you sign a no compete agreement so that you couldn't start mowing again for two years.