PDA

View Full Version : Skid Steer Bolt-on Tracks

GreenMonster
02-02-2006, 05:31 PM
Are you guys familiar with these? I wasn't aware they were available and saw them at the NE Grows show yesterday.

Basically, it is a bolt-on track system for skid steers. Take your tires off, slide on the track assembly and bolt to the wheel hubs. Maybe the best of both worlds?

I stopped by the booth a few times throughout the day, and there was always a line of people waiting to talk, so I didn't get to talk to anyone. This must be a fairly new product. I talked to at least 5 different dealers this fall when shopping for a new skid, unsure if I was going wheels or tracks, and no one mentioned this to me. Not even the dealer at the show that had the display. :confused:

Advantages to this system? Disadvantages? What do you think?

Scag48
02-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Yeah, the Loegering VTS system. Excellent system, but they're $15K.

Tigerotor77W
02-02-2006, 09:02 PM
I doubt you'll find any manufacturer's dealer that will explicitly endorse the VTS system. For sure, Bobcat doesn't like it.

AintNoFun
02-02-2006, 09:56 PM
im sure for another few thousand you could find a decent used track machine rather than buying the tracks..

Scag48
02-02-2006, 10:12 PM
The advantages of the VTS system make it much more versatile than a tracked machine. The cost is definately a downside, but being able to switch back to tires and not putting wear on expensive tracks when they aren't needed is definately nice. Plus, the VTS is somewhat suspended which makes for a little nicer ride vs. an unsuspended CTL.

Dirty Water
02-02-2006, 10:22 PM
In my opinion, if your in a situation so bad that you need a tracked machine ove r a wheeled one...you probably don't care about damaging turf.

So smack steel over the wheel tracks on that puppy.

jreiff
02-02-2006, 10:33 PM
We looked into getting them. We plow in the winter and wanted a wheeled machine for that and then tracks for the landscape season. The Bobcat dealer had them on a S250 that we were going to demo for snow, but the storm missed us. So we just messed around at the shop. Nice set up. Fairly smooth ride. Takes a couple hours to switch over. The 2 down falls were the cost, $15 K and spendy to replace and that when using them, only the back two wheels spin the tracks, the front two just basically spin, no power from the front. Did not really get a good chance to test it out in dirt, mud, sand, etc...

Tigerotor77W
02-02-2006, 11:51 PM
Construction Equipment magazine did an article on the procedure and results...

http://www.constructionequipment.com/article/CA631851.html

GreenMonster
02-03-2006, 09:12 AM
We looked into getting them. We plow in the winter and wanted a wheeled machine for that and then tracks for the landscape season.

That was what I immediately thought of. Snow removal is still the big downside with CTL's. Just thinking that this system might give you the best of both worlds, albeit with a large price tag.

ksss
02-03-2006, 12:54 PM
I spoke with an engineer friend of mine from Bobcat and as Xing said they are not well thought of (VTS tracks) by Bobcat. Their testing showed structural problems with the system and a (severely) negative impact on the drivetrain of a skid steer. CASE had said the same thing. One thing I know for sure, if you have problems with your skid steer it most certainly will be on you to pay for any repairs (as it relates to drivetrain). The problem described to me is too much traction and no way to release it (such as spinning tires). Honestly I used to doubt I would see any problems with the drivetrain on my machines if I ran the system. I have had many machines and never had a problem with the drivetrain on any of them. I am starting to wonder now, that and 13-15K is a lot of money for an attachment.

Tigerotor77W
02-03-2006, 06:48 PM
If someone wants to buy me a skid steer and the VTS system, I'll do a thorough investigation of whether the VTS system does any damage. Well, I'd need like ten skids -- two of each brand (Cat, Deere, Bobcat, Case, and Gehl or NH).

In the meantime... we'll have to see how the current users of the system find their drivetrains in a few more years.

Digdeep
02-03-2006, 08:28 PM
I would check with Loegering to see if they offer warranty that covers the drive train components of the skid that the VTS is attached to. I wouldn't be surprised if they do offer one. I can imagine that they've thought this through. If there is a warranty, it would take care of many of the concerns.

gravtyklz
02-03-2006, 09:05 PM
I have had many machines and never had a problem with the drivetrain on any of them. I am starting to wonder now, that and 13-15K is a lot of money for an attachment.

What do you run with yours? Steel tracks, rubber tracks, just tires?

Squizzy246B
02-04-2006, 03:29 AM
The VTS is definetly an option for us its just stomaching the $20K plus price tag down under. Thats more than 1/3 the cost of a new machine, almost half of an ASV RC50. We badly need tracks because of the wheel spin we get in the sand but almost every job we do we are running, at some part (bout 25%) on ashphalt, paving or concrete. I have been around this issue of tyres vs VTS vs MTL about nine hundred times in my head and still dont have the answer. When somebody works it out give me a call.

YardPro
02-04-2006, 09:45 AM
i have a freind with the rc 60...
uses it on blacktop alot...
his guys even drive down streets to stores for fuel, lunch.. etc...
he has not had premature track wear...

Squizzy246B
02-04-2006, 09:58 AM
i have a freind with the rc 60...
uses it on blacktop alot...
his guys even drive down streets to stores for fuel, lunch.. etc...
he has not had premature track wear...

YP - I think the issue of tracks on hard surfaces may be overdone in some discussions but from what I have gathered its more of the manner in which you manoeuvre the machine whilst on hard surfaces. We do a lot of hard turns in tight spots at the side of high sided trucks...thats the problem I have not the actual length of time we run on hard surfaces.

treedoc1
02-04-2006, 10:49 AM
I'm more than happy with my bolt on over the tires metal tracks on my New holland 190. Almost indestructable. Only drawback is to prevent the spinning of the tires inside the tracks...just need to be aware and easy on the throttle. 15 minutes changeout per side in the field. The 190 seems to have plenty of power to handle the extra weight.

ksss
02-04-2006, 04:40 PM
I have a set of steel tracks (Loegren Trail Blazers).

jreiff
02-06-2006, 09:40 PM
We had the loegering steel bolt on tracks. Ran them pretty hard. Have really wore out on us now. Links have stretched and have started to wear holes in them. Try not to run them dow nthe street, leaves some nice track marks. they work pretty well as long as you keep the tracks tight.

ksss
02-07-2006, 11:26 PM
I really don't use mine very often. I have had them about three years I don't think I have 30 hours on them. It's one of things when you need them you really need them. This last time we were up above Big Sky ski resort at 9K feet. The mud up there is nasty and were were working a slope that had 17' of fall in the foot print of the house. I could hardly keep a 225 excavator stuck to hill when it started snowing. At the rate I use them they will last a long time. They TrailBlazers work well for me because of the reduced ground pressure associated with the wide pads. The 95XT weighs about 9,500 pounds when it is loaded up.