PDA

View Full Version : Would you do it again?

OnMyOwn
02-02-2006, 09:42 PM
I'm just wondering how happy LCO's are with their equipment choices? For instance, I will be cutting with Gravely, JD and Echo this year. I'm happy with my choices, but always wonder if there is something better out there, due mostly to the posts on this site.

What are your choices for equipment and would you purchase the same vendor again?

At this point, I would have to say yes to everything but Echo. I just don't think Echo is as aggressive / commercial as they were 10 years ago. Any thoughts?

McClain
02-02-2006, 09:48 PM
I think I will stay with Hustler my 42" does a great job with no problems...ECHO my first one the head fail off but they replaced it and its going strong............But im small time

CNYScapes
02-02-2006, 09:51 PM
I currently have 3 exmark 60"s and have been pretty happy with them, except for the newer ones have bigger back tires and traction is poor with the big tires. My oldest one has smaller tires on it and gets great traction. This issue alone is making me consider other brands this year.

jtkplc
02-02-2006, 09:55 PM
The biggest thing for me is that I should have went diesel from day one. Now the cost to upgrade is too much. The only other problem besides those that are related to a diesel engine (fuel economy and power) is quality of cut in the heavy cutting. My Gravely just doesn't do as good a job as I would like. There are a few blades of grass that are missed. Other than that I'm very happy with Gravely's products.

Next time around I will be doing more demo-ing before I buy, which I didn't do or understand the importance of when I first got into this business at 16 (pre-lawnsite.com days).

I'm very pleased with my Stihl trimmer and I'm still using my Craftsman blower from about 4 years ago, so I'm happy with that, too.

LLandscaping
02-02-2006, 10:03 PM
We have two Scag Tiger Cubs both have 48in decks. We are very happy with Scag and when we need another mower it will be a Scag. We use Toro Proline 21's and Stihl two-cycle equipment and we are happy with them also.

procut
02-02-2006, 10:17 PM
I'm pretty happy with my Toro products, would buy again. I agree with you on echo, I had a few, but have since switched to Stihl and have been very happy.

Green-Pro
02-02-2006, 11:16 PM
Scag & Echo here, sorry I've had no problems with any Echo equipment I own, as for the Scags, bulletproof machine IMO. You bet I'd buy the same equipment all over again.

meets1
02-03-2006, 12:20 AM
Had JD, Kubato, new holland, now I am all TORO. I will stick with our TORO'S.

WB mowers - had them all but I like the John Deere's best.

Handheld - once upon a time - all ECHO, tanaka. Now all but 2 peices are RED MAX.

I will stay with these for now but as times change and new products improve - I am willing to try to an edge on the business.

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
02-03-2006, 02:06 AM
All except for two purchases. The cub cadet and the 33" troybilt. Reasons: I should have bought a 60" Lazer Z or something to that effect instead of cub, and the 33" never gets used. Other than that I am happy with my equipment.

LawnTamer
02-03-2006, 02:22 AM
I have Toro Prolines 21" and 36" and I'm happy with both. Tried a 36" lesco, it was well built but I didn't care for pistol grips. One of my 21's had the Suzuki 2cycle which died on me but I had a 21" honda with a poorly designed frame (my guys referred to the handle design as the crotch catcher or the Nutcracker) So I put the Honda motor on the Proline & called it a Tonda. That was a couple of years ago and it still runs great. I've had Echo, Mariyauma and stihl for my hand held stuff and like the stihl the best, though my dealer just picked up Redmax and I'm eager to try that. I would like to pick up a 48" T-bar.

elshauno
02-03-2006, 02:46 AM
I would buy my Redmax blower and Shindaiwa trimmer again However my 48 Bradley belt drive walkbehind ehh well when I can I'm going to get a hydro stander and use it as a backup/hill mower. Its a good mower just wears you down a lot more than a hydro. Just waiting on this season to take off so I can start saving up.

Lux Lawn
02-03-2006, 10:56 AM
I have been using Echo brands for years now,they had a couple of miner problems.But overall I do like them and will keep buying they.I am glad to see that they got the recoil problem fixed on the backpacks.

OnMyOwn
02-03-2006, 11:41 AM
- many good responses here. It just goes to show the product / dealer loyalty that many of us exhibit. I hope the manufacturers are listening / reading.

Regarding echo problems: My problems are slow starts. I only use echo 2-cycle mix, per vendor, and still have problems. My old echos are bulletproof. I could run the things on kerosene if I had to. (just kidding). The new ones just take multiple pulls / cranks and playing around to get them fired.