PDA

View Full Version : Per cut or Per month?

ztrguy
02-03-2006, 01:38 AM
Ok...for 2006 I'm trying to change things up a little bit. No longer will the customer say they only want it cut every 10 days....or every 2 weeks....or the dreaded whenever it needs it. So, here's my thinking:

Whenever I go to do estimates I'm going to price my service at say $98/month. No more saying, well it will be $25/weekly...if you want it cut every 10 days it will be $30...and if you want it cut every two weeks it will be $40. From now on, starting in 2006 it's going to be: Hi, if you would like for us to service your lawn it will be $98/month. We will maintain your lawn weekly.

Here's my thinking: Say you have priced a every 2 week lawn at $30 per mow. You're making $60/month. Not too much is it? Well, how about you tell them $80/month. That's only $20/cut. Sounds cheap right? But you're making $20 more per month. If you have 50 customers that's $1000 more per month. You make the weekly price sound low...and yet you're getting more money for those that only want it cut whenever. Plus, you don't have to worry about them calling and saying my yard don't need mowed. You don't have to worry about going by and checking to see if it needs mowed or not. You just tell them ok it's going to cost you $98/month to have your lawn maintained. Pretty much take it or leave it.

Then it will be easier to make your schedule. We all know how those every 10 day accounts are hard to work around at times. And we know those every 2 week accounts are always grown up and depending on the amount of rain...it could take up to twice as long to get them mowed. So your schedule gets all screwed up b/c it's taking you all day to mow 2 accounts when it should have taken about 4 hours if they were maintained weekly. This way it will be easier to maintain, easier on the equipment, and it shouldn't take as long. Billing will be easier with monthly billing.

So, here's the deal. You lower your price slightly, make more money, have less headaches w/ scheduling, no questionable should I mow it or not garbage. And the customer knows exactly how much it will be each month. No surprises.

ztrguy
02-03-2006, 01:43 AM
So are you going to quote the customer so much per cut?

Or are you going to quote the customer so much per month?

It's your business...you can do whatever you want!

justanotherlawnguy
02-03-2006, 01:46 AM
Thats a long post, I didnt even get through it.

Like ztrguy says, its your business do it how ever you want.

stangman
02-03-2006, 05:20 AM
So are you responding to yourself or what?

lawnfreak
02-03-2006, 05:56 AM
so you gonna go from charging $60 for two cuts to $80 for four cuts. I don't know but it sounds like a lot more work for not much more money.

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
02-03-2006, 06:32 AM
Why not charge the $25 a week that you origninally posted. I do not do 10 day accounts with the exception of commercial accounts. IMO I would just try to offer them the weekly service at the rate that you want, but don't cut yourself and bleed yourself dry. If $25 is a fair price then offer it at $25.

6'7 330
02-03-2006, 06:47 AM
I would asap make it a policy of no bi-weekly's, and no per cut nothing.Get them on contract.

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
02-03-2006, 06:58 AM
Yeah, what Bill said. :)

LawnScapers of Dayton
02-03-2006, 07:09 AM
I quit doing 10 day and bi-weekly cuts. I tell them the price and if they ask about b-weekly then the price is double.....period...

D

ofishil
02-03-2006, 07:35 AM
or raise your prices $5 and not have as many customers (headaches), not work as much and still make the same amount if you lowered your prices. Lets say you have room for 50 customers total. Wouldnt you rather 50 $140 dollar a month customers versus 50 $98 a month customers.

Justcutitshort
02-03-2006, 08:08 AM
I would asap make it a policy of no bi-weekly's, and no per cut nothing.Get them on contract.

What's the big deal with contracts??? Contract shmontract, it's like a wedding prenup for the chickenhearted.
Who needs a contract when you've got good accounts. As they say, a contract is only as good as the paper it's written on.......
Get better accounts not better contracts.........

QualityLawnCare4u
02-03-2006, 09:31 AM
I quote for each cut only, to many variables in my area. Most folks on here refuse bi-weekly cuts and that is all my area will allow with a few 10 day ones (wished I could get them every week). If we have a lot or rain and I have to cut every 10 days instead of bi I would lose my butt on the monthly rates. I guess it depends on how fast grass grows in your area, my area is fairly slow growing and 10-14 days is sufficient.

ztrguy
02-03-2006, 11:02 AM
Thanks for all the posts!

I'm not really interested in using contracts. In fact I will not use a contract for a residential, but I always do with commercial accounts. And yes I would like to make $140/month instead of $98, but many customers around here wouldn't be able to afford over $100/month. Plus, they know they can have it done cheaper. There are not enough quality accounts to go around for being the highest price LCO in town. There's more LCO's here that make $80,000 by doing volume. For 2006, I'm going for volume. There's not enough people here with disposable income to justify raising prices and hope you get more accounts w/ high incomes. I'm not going to undercut my prices...just adjust the pricing to where I'm making more money per month on each account. In the long run I'll be able to ad more accounts, another crew, and make more money. It just comes down to the area....I live in a lower populated area and the LCO's that are making the money are those LCO's doing $20/cut lawns and getting more accounts. There's only a handful of accounts that are going to pay a little extra and we have some of those customers. A few other LCO's have maybe 5 or 6 of those type customers as well. But like I said, those customers aren't in abundance.

Glad to hear that some of you guys no longer do the 10 day or every 2 week accounts. It's our business and we can do whatever we want. Each business is different. For 2006 we'll be focusing on getting that little extra per month and making our route much less confusing. Being more efficient for the long run of the business. We'll see how it goes!

scagwildcat
02-03-2006, 11:16 AM
i still dont understand how you can charge $80 for a $30 lawn mowed twice in 30 days??? if your client wants it done every other week, then thats what they want.........where do you get 80 from??? so what your saying is, the home owner thinks in his/her mind i just told this guy i want it done biweekly and he will charge me $40 per mow???? hows that cheaper??

daveintoledo
02-03-2006, 11:21 AM
lots of people here charge by the month and do well, where im at , no one is paying for cuts not received.... and i wouldnt pay it either...i bill at the end of the month for the weekly cuts.... i dont do bi weekly cuts.... i cut every week, and it is in my contract that i decide if and when it needs skipped..... its bad advise to be told not to use a contract just because its residential.....

scagwildcat
02-03-2006, 11:21 AM
for my clients that tell me that they want it cut bi-weekly, i tell them, i price per mow weekly, then i tell them $10/15/20 more for bi-weekly, but if, i pull up, and the lawn does not need mowing, i will simply skip them till the next week, or if the front yard needs mowing, and the back does not i will charge ,only for the service i provide, but not more then the price quoted. unless advised... works very well, keeps you in control, and if you get backed up and need to skip someone they dont call you ,and if its a dry summer, you still can pull up, trim, puts around and atleast mow some thing!!!!!!