PDA

View Full Version : JD 757 vs Gravely 260Z

cads03
02-03-2006, 09:14 AM
If you had to choose...both with 25 horse Kaws. which would you choose and why?

I do not own a lawn business, this will be for my personal yard. I have a 2+ acre yard, no trees and fairly flat with the exception of my ditch. I have narrowed it down to these two units and can't really decide.

QualityLawnCare4u
02-03-2006, 09:21 AM
I have a JD 737 with the 23 kaw(same mower as the 757 except 2 hp smaller engine). I have never owned a Gravely but they are also good machines from what Ive heard. However, the most important thing is dealer SUPPORT and how close is each dealer. How did each dealer treat you, this is a good sign if they want your biz or not. Also demo both and see which you like. Some dealer will not even let you ride around the parking lot on one and some will let you use for the day. My JD dealer brough mine to me and let me mow my yard with it while no other dealer would even let me try one, guess who won?

nmurph
02-03-2006, 09:34 AM
hey quailty, do you still have your head above water after yesterday/last night. more on the way today.......

QualityLawnCare4u
02-03-2006, 10:19 AM
hey quailty, do you still have your head above water after yesterday/last night. more on the way today.......

Hey Nmurph, cant believe another person from "mayberry" south Ga. found this site LOL yeah, Im still swimming along and they are calling for more liquid sunshine today. Its ok, I dont have a thing to do right now. grass is dead, no shrubs to do right now, so Im just being lazy today. BTW, you are the first person from cheapscapeyear I mean blackshear I have seen on here. Saw one from Waycross but have not seen him but once. I would probably know you if I saw you, blackshear aint exactly all that big.

QualityLawnCare4u
02-03-2006, 10:27 AM
Nmurph, I stand corrected, I did meet a homeowner on here last year from Blackshear that lived close to UPS. Cant remember who it was though.

nmurph
02-03-2006, 10:43 AM
that would be me.

QualityLawnCare4u
02-03-2006, 10:58 AM
that would be me.

OK, after I got to thinking I thougt it was you. I forget now what kind of equipment or landscaping you had posted about before that we had discussed. My mind in not as good as it once was and it aint even as good once as it ever was. Man, I need some yard work to do bad. Just got threw washing clothes and fixing to go over to my late fathers house and steam clean the carpet.

cads03
02-05-2006, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the feedback quality. Actually, it's the same dealer selling the gravely. My dad has a gravely 260 and my brother-in-law has a JD 737 and I like em both. I am to the point where which ever one can be had for the cheapest money...that's the one I'm going to buy. In my opinion, I can't go wrong with either.

POPO4995
02-05-2006, 02:43 PM
I would go with the Deere...it just looks cool!:p :cool: Seriously, go with whatever one you can get the cheapest and YOU like the most. IMO, you cant go wrong with a 7-IRON II deck on the JD's!

Groundkeeperz
03-17-2006, 09:40 AM
Ive spent hours and hours looking at and demoing the both exact machines your looking at.
The only 2 main differences I see is the design of the decks. In which most people will say the JD has the edge. But Im not convienced of that. The Jd is a stamped deck, all one peice and curvy lines, meaning smoother discharge. This is true the JD will discharge clippings wet and dry better than the gravely. Even in tall tall grass the JD deck performs well. Like I said its because of the deck design. And this is why everyone says that the JD deck is hands down better than the gravely.
Well this is why me personally , like the gravely a little better. The gravely deck doesnt immediatly throw the clippings out onto the lawn like the deere, instead with its more sqaure deck the clippings clippings stay in the deck longer forcing them to be chopped up more than the deere.
What I am saying is that the deere leaves the whole grass clipping on the yard where the gravely even without mulching blades mulches the clippings in small peices before discharging them.
Also i here alot of "well the deere has the 7 iron deck" lets not forget that the gravely had 7 gauge steel in there deck long long before the deere.
Im in no means saying the GRAVELY is a better mower im just letting you know the differences I saw. I actually think the JD is a better looking mower, I just like the deck a little better on the gravely. Good luck, Im sure that you wont be desapointed with either.

one more thing you could look at is what blade tip speed each mower has and what rpm the engine was at with that BTS, This makes a diiference with the cut as well.

Mowingman
03-17-2006, 10:33 AM
I had a JD with the 7 Iron deck, and did not care for the way it left large clippings on the lawn. As stated in the other post, I will cut anything and throw it right out. however, everything comes out as big, unchopped clippings and lays on the lawn. I got rid of mine after 1 season.
I am now a Gravely dealer. I think you will find the Gravely to be a great cutting machine. You get a lot of value for the price with a Gravely. not that JD is bad, I just did not like the cut, and also feel you usually have to pay too much to get that green paint.