PDA

View Full Version : Securing Mowers in Enclosed Trailer

Ky.Smoke
02-03-2006, 09:13 AM
This is probably not the right place to post this but I need some input I this forum seems to get more hits than the trailer forumI am going today to pick-up my new trailer. 7x16 Haulmark Enclosed, tandem axles side door , ramp door etc.What is the best way to secure my mowers inside while traveling ?
60" ZTR
52" WB

Wells
02-03-2006, 09:26 AM
This is probably not the right place to post this but I need some input I this forum seems to get more hits than the trailer forumI am going today to pick-up my new trailer. 7x16 Haulmark Enclosed, tandem axles side door , ramp door etc.What is the best way to secure my mowers inside while traveling ?
60" ZTR
52" WB
Your trailer sounds exactly like the one we bought from Haulmark and we use the flush mounted D-rings in the floor to secure the mowers. I'm not sure where you are getting your trailer from but I bought ours at the Haulmark factory and they had the D-rings available right there.

I think they were about $6 a piece and I installed 8 of them throughout the trailer, when there not in use they lay slightly lower than the trailer floor so your not tripping over them. Then to secure the mowers you just need tie-downs from the mowers to the D-rings.

Az Gardener
02-03-2006, 10:11 AM
I put a 2x6 kick board across the front of the trailer (the curved part) then pushed the mowers up against it then put down 1-1/2" angle iron like a wedge behind the wheels and screwed it to the floor. The angle iron is low enough to push the mowers over and not trip on but high enough to keep the mowers in place. I have a table I built that is secured to the floor and tight to the walls that the mowers go under and I sit the Back pacs and reel mower catchers, spreader and edger on it too. I will try and take a picture later and post it.

Wells
02-03-2006, 10:22 AM
The flush mounted d-ring are similar to the ones in this pic #"D" & "E","F".

Bulldog26
02-03-2006, 10:28 AM
Get the Prolocks, fast and safe.
bt

Ky.Smoke
02-03-2006, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the input. I looked at some track type stuff on-line that i could flush mount then hook into but I am not sure yet. I don't want the prolockers because I use the trailer for other things and I dont want to trip over them. I will post pic's soon thanks again.

Rayray
02-03-2006, 04:58 PM
The Prolockers are removable I believe, I havnt bought any yet but I think that u pull a pin and slide them out.....check them out...

ed2hess
02-03-2006, 05:05 PM
Most mowers have brakes and for the ones that don't a simple bag of sand works. All the straps and stuff takes a lot of time and stuff get tangled, when you are loaded/unloading 30 times a day.

riches139
02-03-2006, 05:07 PM
That's right, pull a spring loaded pin and slide em out!
Really built heavy.

TURF DOCTOR
02-03-2006, 05:10 PM
We use d rings and faststraps from green touch.

MStine315
02-03-2006, 05:17 PM
I also use the faststraps(sp?) from green touch. What I like is, at least with my turf trackers, I don't have to actually strap them in unless I'm going a distance. They work like chockblocks. The one downside, which you mentioned, is that they don't leave a smooth trailer surface when not in use.-Marc

Mbsausage
02-03-2006, 05:19 PM
i use E tracks. i like this best for it's adjustability

Ky.Smoke
02-03-2006, 05:39 PM
MbSausage - I saw those e-tracks. how do you attatch your mowers? I know they sell full tire straps I was wondering if they just had single straps. This would allow me to put a track flush on the trailer down the center and attatch to the mowers. I could rout out the area then it would be sunk into the floor.

B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc
02-03-2006, 06:11 PM
We use prolockers on all our mowers even if they have brakes. The prolockers also keep mowers from moving side to side. And yes they are removable. I use enclosed isuzu trucks and they work great.

smarino21
02-03-2006, 06:17 PM
you no what i do i take 2x4's and make a square on the floor with them flat so when i pull the rider in i pull the front wheels into the squares i think there has been 1 time when it came out other then that it has stayed right in there you gotta make it big enough for the wheel to spin anyway in and they work good,.,,,,,,,,PS is it true you can get the trailer from haulmark cheap if you go the factory if you do how much you save.:???????????

OnMyOwn
02-03-2006, 09:37 PM
THIS IS THE BEST METHOD OF SECURING A LOAD IN AN ENCLOSED TRAILER!!!!!

Go to a truck supply (large truck equipment) and purchase E-track. Mount 2x4 studs down each side of the trailer (on the floor) by drilling through the floor and bolting the 2x4's to the floor. Attach the E-track to the top of the 2x4's. Purchase E-trac straps (like ratchet straps) from the truck dealer. This is an incredibly awesome combination.

I recommend attaching the trac and 2x4's to the floor, because the sides of the trailer are weaker. You don't want to torque against the sides of the trailer to secure the equipment.

br549oicu8
02-03-2006, 11:28 PM
I have the E-Track and the Fastraps. The fastrap is superior and much faster than e-track any day. You can move the strap part to teh side and just drive over the bracket when not needed.
We ise the e-track for securing aerators, seeders, etc....and the Fastraps for the mowers. Excellent combination in an enclosed trailer.

lawnMaster5000
02-03-2006, 11:47 PM
I know people are going to go crazy about how "unsafe" this is, however, I drive my mowers into my pace enclosed, put on the parking brake and that's it.

Neither mower has ever moved, but even if either did they would have no where to go.

If you want more security than your parking brake attach a 2x4 to the floor both in front of and behind the rear wheels of each mower. Simply drive the mower over the first 2x4 and park it between. The 2x4s will keep the mower from rolling.

Now maybe if you roll your trailer it wont stay put, but if that happens, I don't think your straps are going to do much either unless you super tie your mower down.

kleankutslawn
02-04-2006, 08:57 AM
i use the d clamps but honestly i don't scrap my mowers down after every stop.

DSIM
02-04-2006, 09:08 AM
2X4's have worked for me for the last 8 years.

SPLC
02-04-2006, 09:39 AM
I back in my zero turn, have 2x4s screwed to the floor to keep it from rolling forward (when I brake), set the parking brake, nudge my walk behind into the front of the zero turn, strap it, done. Rarely moves. I may try something else this year though, may put 2x4s down to keep it from rolling back.

Of course it isn't fool proof, idiot employees sometimes forget to strap the walk behind :realmad:

Mbsausage
02-04-2006, 03:47 PM
MbSausage - I saw those e-tracks. how do you attatch your mowers? I know they sell full tire straps I was wondering if they just had single straps. This would allow me to put a track flush on the trailer down the center and attatch to the mowers. I could rout out the area then it would be sunk into the floor.
there's a special clip that snaps in the track. you can buy just the clip w/ a d ring or what i have is the clip w/ 4" of strap then a d ring

lawnman_scott
02-04-2006, 04:13 PM
I know people are going to go crazy about how "unsafe" this is, however, I drive my mowers into my pace enclosed, put on the parking brake and that's it.

Neither mower has ever moved, but even if either did they would have no where to go.

If you want more security than your parking brake attach a 2x4 to the floor both in front of and behind the rear wheels of each mower. Simply drive the mower over the first 2x4 and park it between. The 2x4s will keep the mower from rolling.

Now maybe if you roll your trailer it wont stay put, but if that happens, I don't think your straps are going to do much either unless you super tie your mower down.I do the 2x4 thing on the floor because mine have moved a bit. Not for saftey, just so i dont have to climb if they move. If your mower moves and it becomes a saftey issue in an enclosed trailer I think you have bigger problems, like the cliff you just drove off.

DeereHauler
02-04-2006, 04:36 PM
Most mowers have brakes and for the ones that don't a simple bag of sand works. All the straps and stuff takes a lot of time and stuff get tangled, when you are loaded/unloading 30 times a day.

yeah, do that, not only is it stupid, but illegal....i've had to slam on my brakes for dumb drivers, and my mowers have moved with straps, i'd like to know where they would end up with just the brake.....if you have to move a 1/2 mile or something, maybe, just don't get pulled over by the police. but i could never see driving all the time with no straps.

i use d-rings, recessed in the decking, takes a minute to strap it down. e-track is really nice, and it can be used for multiple things. my cousin works at a haulmark plant, he advised me to buy it and install it myself, its quite expensive from haulmark.

the prolockers are very nice, and there is one more i forgot the name of, seems to me it had a metal frame, and a short strap that went over the tire. it may be that fastrap that someone else ,mentioned.

turfcobob
03-01-2006, 10:50 AM
I put rings on the floor and mounted 2x4s with hooks on the side of my 14 foot enclosed trailers. I strap them to the floor and hook em to the walls so they do not bang together in the center...Have had it for years with min damage to my machines.

vanguard
03-02-2006, 09:13 PM

Now maybe if you roll your trailer it wont stay put, but if that happens, I don't think your straps are going to do much either unless you super tie your mower down.

Works great...Until you get in a accident and theres someone injured or worse yet..Killed! Then you done :hammerhead:

GET SMART, GET SAFE. folks here talk about "Being Professional & using Commercial equipment" , but if it's not up to D.O.T. standards you put us all under the gun!
All it takes is the death of one "Innocent bystander" by a unrestrained piece of equipment and the law makers will be lined-up to put more regulation in our way.

fastrap, e-track, Prolockers YES! :)

2x4's, Sandbags, nothing. NO! :nono:

Professionals believe in safety
Scrubs Lowballers don't!