PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for install

ParkerLawn
02-03-2006, 01:45 PM
I am new to hardscaping and have a customer who wants columns around their patio boxed up and have it stack stoned. They are providing all materials as they have family in stone yard business and all I have to price is labor. Would you suggest per hour rate, which seems to my benefit to overcome any problems or delays or per square foot? The columns are 10 and I will square off with cinder blocks and stack stone around. Pretty straight forward but no idea as to how to charge or what to charge. What are guys getting price wise for this work? I am in KY and understand prices vary greatly but I could use your figures to give me a ballpark to start with. Thanks for the help.

UNISCAPER
02-03-2006, 10:09 PM
How big are the blocks? what kind of stone are you stacking/mortaring, and how much does your labor cost you with your salary and all your overheads calculated in?

ParkerLawn
02-03-2006, 10:55 PM
This is all basically flagstone that has to cut and chiseled to size which is very time consuming, but is what customer wants. Pallet of this stone generally runs about 1 foot x 2 foot pieces. I don't have much overhead on this job as customer is having everything available at jobsite to do work. I only need my tools and my time. I am thinking of charging around $50 an hour but don't want ot undercut myself either. I am figuring it to take approx 3 days to complete after blocks are setup and I can start stacking stone and mortaring.

UNISCAPER
02-04-2006, 10:17 AM
"I am figuring it to take approx 3 days to complete after blocks are setup and I can start stacking stone and mortaring."

Keep in mind this. We were at a job that had a different mason than us. Our part was the retaining walls. One day I saw two pallets of stone delivered for the fireplace inside the home. The next day, and for 4 weeks after, I saw this poor old Mexican man, standing in front of a wet cut saw, cuting corner pieces, face pieces and so fourth to face this fireplace. 4 weeks for two pallets. He would get done for a day and you would barely see what he did all day.

You are facing columns. That's alot of corners. My advice is to look at El Dorado stone, or some manufacturerd brand where all you have to do is paste
to the columns and make an occasional cut.