PDA

View Full Version : Trimming Palm Trees Need Help With Pricing

jeffhendrix
02-03-2006, 03:49 PM
i Am Bidding On A Large Commercial Complex That Has 40 Sable Palms That Need To Be Trimmed Up Once Per Year. They Are Between 18-25 Foot. I Need Help Bidding

Fantasy Lawns
02-03-2006, 04:19 PM
Sables can be nasty .... depending on the present condition ....ie do they have a full "beard" the first trim may require an greater charge on the 1st trim .... given that they will only receive a trim after this 1st one ..... once a year ... they will be kinda full when they receive their yearly trim ....so the 1 time a year charge should be greater than say if they were trimmed 2 times a year

Any-who .... on the east coast .... a full beard palm, with debris removal ....cut to a 11-1 clock trim (although I like em trimmed 9-3) would be bout $35-40 per palm depending on height n easy of access .... after that the yearly trim would be $25-30 per palm

This is not too say ... they can not find a local guy whom will cut em at $15 @ .... cause they can ... they may not have the insurance to cut trees/palms

You might consider subbing the work out ... this is how I do it .... I sub out to a good local guy ....whom has the bucket trucks n all the paper work n he gives me a $5 discount per palm .... so on a job like this I would pocket $200 just fore a phone call

Precision
02-03-2006, 07:23 PM
You might consider subbing the work out ... this is how I do it .... I sub out to a good local guy ....whom has the bucket trucks n all the paper work n he gives me a $5 discount per palm .... so on a job like this I would pocket $200 just fore a phone call

Exactly what I do. Too dirty, too busy, and its as close to free money as you'll get.

lawnboy dan
02-03-2006, 09:31 PM
dont do palms! its not worth the trouble for the little $ you will make. sub it out if you have too. believe me its not worth it!

justanotherlawnguy
02-04-2006, 01:33 AM
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the pricing questions seem to never end on this site. I will post my typical answer:

If you have to ask, then you probably shouldnt be bidding on it....SOrry to be of little help, but it gets tiresome reading the same post over and over and over and over and over..............

cfosceola
02-04-2006, 08:25 AM
just because someone doesn't know how to price a job doesn't mean they should not be doing it. this is a forum where people come for help and advice which is what we should do. If you cant give them the advice they are asking for then don't write on here telling them they shouldn't do it. I'm sure when you started in the business you didn't know how to charge for some jobs, and probably had to ask for help and got it, unless you set the standard for everyone else to follow, which i doubt. So if you see a post from someone asking for pricing questions, do us all a favor and just skip that post.

justanotherlawnguy
02-04-2006, 01:09 PM
Its not rocket science. When I first started, I had no idea how to bid on certain things. I didnt have anyone to show me how or give me advice so you know what i did. I bid what i thought the price should be. Sometimes I overbid, sometimes I underbid.

YOu know what, I learned more from the jobs that were under bid then anything else. If I had an opportunity to bid on a job, whatever it was, the first thing I didnt do was run to this board and ask everybody what I should charge!!!

So forgive me if my posts seem harsh. There is more to this biz then just dropping trailer and cutting grass. Too many people come on board thinking it is just easy money, but they put no thought into it.

Over the past 2 years lawnsite.com has gone downhill. Every other post is what should I charge
what equip should I buy
should i get insurance
do i need this
do i need that

Go out do the job, if you get burned you will learn from it. If you make a killling you will learn from it. Practice makes perfect..................

Rhett
02-04-2006, 02:22 PM
Dang that is silly. The reason most people are on this site is to learn so you don't have to fall on your head to learn. Maybe the guy charging 15 a palm will read this post and raise his price.

In my area 18 to 25 foot would be 35 a palm. If I have to haul debree an aditional charge will be figured in.