PDA

View Full Version : Making your own striper??

greengiant9963
02-03-2006, 06:22 PM
Wanted to make a striper for my Ztr's. Was going to cut down a heavy duty truck mudflap to put in the back near the rear tires. Wondered if anyone had a few pics to get me started on the best way to attach it. Also how far should it be from the ground on a flat surface? Thanks.

DJ Contracting
02-04-2006, 12:09 AM
I installed one on my Gravely and I am pleased with the results I'll try and get pictures Saturday if i'm not plowing. If you look up the threads i have started you will find some pictures of my yard and others that i did. The one that come to mind is (I've been trying to stripe).

greengiant9963
02-15-2006, 10:27 PM
Just wondered if anyone could help me out here with this. The striper would be for a John Deere Z trac 54 inch cut. Thanks.

topsites
02-15-2006, 10:29 PM
Here's how I did my chain-based one:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=116589

Someone else has a kit for a newer mower as well (in that same thread).
That might give you some ideas.

milo
02-16-2006, 01:11 AM
top site nice set up you made.. but in the pics with the strips you did all the lawn with a walk behind???? wish i had that kind of energy. anyway i like your striping kit very nice work. i made one to out of old old racing hoosier tires i had. mine worked perty good to but i think i will make one like yours. one question though, is it loud? do u hear the chains? dancing

milo
02-16-2006, 01:17 AM
top site nice set up you made.. but in the pics with the strips you did all the lawn with a walk behind???? wish i had that kind of energy. anyway i like your striping kit very nice work. i made one to out of old old racing hoosier tires i had. mine worked perty good to but i think i will make one like yours. one question though, is it loud? do u hear the chains? dancing

BSDeality
02-16-2006, 05:09 PM
i cut down a truck mud flap for my rider. I cut some knotches in it to fit around various parts of the deck baffle/frame on the back of the deck. I left it about 1/2" off the ground and it works good. It will wear out with the season, but one mud flap can make about 4 stripers.

The next one I make I am going to try to use a stiff brissel broom to "brush" the lawns. The location of the wheels on the back of my deck would cause the mudflap to jam under and gouge some of the lawns if there was a high spot under the wheel.

Remsen1
02-16-2006, 05:37 PM
I'm still fine tuning mine but I used a section of an old 1/2" thick rubber conveyor belt cut to fit. I set it to touching the ground enough to make it bend a little. It's attached to existing holes in the frame and I think I drilled a couple. Then for rigidity cut two pieces of right angle steel down each side, also bolted to the frame. These peices stop approx 3" above the ground which is long enough to make the rubber rigid and short enough to let it flex if it needs to. Also I have the rubber flap notched out where the angle ends so the rubber comes closer to the inside of the rear tires.

It stripes very well with this setup. I can send you a pic, but I will have to take some first.

I tried the chains and I didn't buy enough chain and it didn't work at all. I was going to get more, but found that the price would be more than I wanted to spend (vs. the rubber which i already had and decided to try) and I grossly under estimated how much chain I would need when i originally set out to purchase my chain. Also the chain is loud over pavement (makes everybody stare at you like your some kind of freak)