PDA

View Full Version : Bidding on City Parks & Properties

JD GROUND SERVICE LLC
02-03-2006, 11:38 PM
If anyone could possibly help by giving some advice on this type of bidding. How would you go about pricing? We have never done any type of sealed bidding and was wondering the best way to go about it. We are a small company in business for about 5 years but have never really tried to jump in with the big competition until this year. Any suggestions ? Thanks

Brianslawn
02-03-2006, 11:51 PM
if it is a public property, then you can go to city admin offices and ask what the city is currently paying for it. we did the parks a couple years ago here, but it wasnt worth it. in fact, the bids were twice as high ten years ago. too many desperate lawnboys now. good luck.

echovalley
02-03-2006, 11:55 PM
What you think its worth then divide by 2 then minus 20% should put you within range

twj721
02-04-2006, 12:10 AM
I have a mowing contract with the city here this is my 4th year and so far I have managed to get it on a per hr bases and it works good it is about 40 hrs of work thsi is one of my major customers during the winter we clean the lots up that the city has put a tax lien on and have got then as city owned lots Good luck with them only down side is is usually 45-60 days after you turn bill in before you get your money

justanotherlawnguy
02-04-2006, 01:27 AM
go to your towns website and look under the purchasing dept and it will list all open contracts that are up for bid. there is almost always something for mowing.

JKOOPERS
02-04-2006, 02:39 AM
look to get around $30 an acre for these type of jobs .

work_it
02-04-2006, 02:57 AM
I've had opportunities to bid on city and state properties. From my experience the previous comments are right on the money. I don't waist my time on them anymore.

jgtxusa
02-04-2006, 03:09 AM
We make out real nice on city work here. I was trying to use zeros when we started and that was my biggest mistake. We use a wide area mower on just about all of it now and do well. Not profit like cutting good comm or res, but only one phone call every two weeks, and we are paid in 4-5 days after inv.

Brianslawn
02-04-2006, 06:48 AM
look to get around $30 an acre for these type of jobs .

i wish. its half that here. the earlier equation is quite accurate, but still on the high side.

LwnmwrMan22
02-04-2006, 10:56 AM
Obviously it's going to be a cheaper rate than normal residential / commercial properties.

It's far less work.

You have wide open property, usually, with no edging, and very little trimming.

You can mow and trim 4 acres in an hour. When you get your ZTR promotional packets from the dealer, go to the back and it says "mows 4-6 acres / hour" this is the stuff they're talking about.

This is where acreage price doesn't work, because you can mow a 3 acre park faster than you can mow a 2 acre city lot with tons of landscaping / pool / fences.

If you're charging $50 / acre, and get $150 for the park, are you only going to charge $100 for the city lot that you have to spend 2 hours doing since you're going to have to edge, trim, mow with a small 21" push mower since the back yard is too small even though it'll take you the same amount of time hour wise?

I'll glady mow for $25-30 / acre on a park / school system, it's very easy mowing and there's usually a fair amount of acreage.

heather lawn sp
02-04-2006, 11:51 AM
Obviously it's going to be a cheaper rate than normal residential / commercial properties.

It's far less work.

You have wide open property, usually, with no edging, and very little trimming.

You can mow and trim 4 acres in an hour. When you get your ZTR promotional packets from the dealer, go to the back and it says "mows 4-6 acres / hour" this is the stuff they're talking about.

This is where acreage price doesn't work, because you can mow a 3 acre park faster than you can mow a 2 acre city lot with tons of landscaping / pool / fences.

If you're charging $50 / acre, and get $150 for the park, are you only going to charge $100 for the city lot that you have to spend 2 hours doing since you're going to have to edge, trim, mow with a small 21" push mower since the back yard is too small even though it'll take you the same amount of time hour wise?

I'll glady mow for $25-30 / acre on a park / school system, it's very easy mowing and there's usually a fair amount of acreage.

Can you really get up to 4 acres per hour per mower? We have trouble doing 25 Acres per day with two ZTR's average site 5 acres. Are your individual sites bigger? $25-30/acre is probably about right, any more then that and they might toss the bid.

scagwildcat
02-04-2006, 12:06 PM
THIS PAST SPRING I BID ON 5 TOWN PARKS, AND TWO TOWN GREENS, ONE LARGE AND ONE SMALL GREEN, i know the people that have mowed it in the past, it takes 3 guys the whole day to mow and trim all of the parks/ greens. so i figured what the heck, maybee it would be a good way to learn on biddint town jobs, or atleast if i get it the locals will see my work and truck around......so i place my bid, i looked at each place and figured what i would charge , going with what them told me they expected, then i took of $20 on each place, sent in my bid, it was $635....... per week, i ended up with the highest bid !!!! the guy who took this bid priced it at $250, for three years.... wtf---- so all year every one in town complained in how the parks and greens were not getting mowed, turns out this guy mowed it like once a month, so the town workers had to mow it when this guy didnt, so not only pay for this guy, but increase our town budget to pay overtime to the town workers.........these guys place bids, then dont do the work, says alot!!!!! but yet the towns want to lowest bid !!!!! i dont get it!!!!! il never bid a town job again!!!!! i figured that this guy was making $50 per park/green and had to pay his help from his own pocket/ fuel/truck/equipment. how can they do this.............

heather lawn sp
02-04-2006, 12:34 PM
'cause the towns don't make 'em go back and fix up their mess. Around here they will just live with the mess-up and not hire them the next time around. The town can't be bothered enforcing their contract with the mower operator. If they enforce they have to take time and money to enforce (watch over the mower operator) or pay more to fire and rehire at the correct price. They live and die by the budgetted amount. Next time they take the lowest bid again and the cycle continues.

Flex-Deck
02-04-2006, 08:07 PM
Lots of trees, picnic tables, barbeque grills, swing sets, etc etc etc. Make sure you have mowers that can negotiate those items, and a ztr is not necessarilly it.

JD GROUND SERVICE LLC
02-05-2006, 02:21 PM
Thanks to all of you for helping.