PDA

View Full Version : ? On Venting A Fuel Can Toolbox

GarPA
02-04-2006, 06:03 AM
I'll be installing a trailer tongue tool box for the purpose of storing two 5 gas containers in it. It has a lockable lid.

I am planning to drill some holes in the bottom (for spills to drain out) and a few holes on each side for additional venting. I dont want to drill holes on top obviously because I dont want rain going into it. THere will be about 8 total holes drilled.

Do you think this will be adequate or is this too many? I also dont think the hole size should be too big so as to allow rain to blow into it. Thanks for your opinion

grass_cuttin_fool
02-04-2006, 08:23 AM
I dont know what it would look like, but if you did drill a bigger hole and then use a louvered(sp) vent to cover the hole plus with the louvers pointed down that would help keep rain out.

wayne

GarPA
02-04-2006, 08:30 AM
yeah I thought about louvers but cutting this stuff (looks like diamond plate but I think its aluminum) might not be too easy.
Fuel vapors fall instead of rise right? Better to vent near the bottom of the box? or top and bottom?

grass_cuttin_fool
02-04-2006, 08:56 AM
I agree, I dont think the louver would look to good on diamond plate, and best I can remember gas vapor do sink, so I would think a vent near the bottom and maybe a few in the bottum for drainage ect

wayne

mmacsek
02-04-2006, 09:51 AM
Gary,
Not an answer but a question. Where did you get the toolbox? I'm looking at one for our open trailer but it's plastic. It has the lockable lid. What did you pay for that? Thanks Matt

lawnsbyrj
02-04-2006, 11:18 AM
cutting that aluminum is really not hard. I used a grinder on the side and a cutting type wheel it works really well and is real easy.

GarPA
02-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Matt...I ordered it from American Van (AmericanVan.com)
There are 2 sizes and I got the bigger one. I was concerned it might hit the tailgate on a jacknife backup so I cutout a cardboard foot print with the dimensions of the toolbox and laid it on the tougue then jacknifed the trailer...no problems.

They are a little pricey at about $200 but I have got to get those fuel cans out of the enclosed trailer..we are forever tripping over them, spilling fuel etc. So the $200 solution is worth it to me.

I dont have it yet so I cant tell you anything about the mounting hardware and there is no mention of the hardware when you order it but one would assume that some kind of hardware would be included but if not I can get some long bolts and bolt it thru the trlr frame. No big deal