PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Style

smarino21
02-04-2006, 05:16 PM
i live in southeast michigan its my 2nd yrea in business i was wondering when you really start cutting or when to advertise for the lawns because if its still cold out people dont care about it yet ///?[/FONT][/FONT]

meets1
02-04-2006, 05:23 PM
Cut when grass needs to be cut. Advertise when YOU think you need to advertise. Be it March or October. Think about it this way - 2 nd in business - when do you blow snow??????

Joey bag a' donuts
02-04-2006, 05:29 PM
Whats up Smarino, Im from macomb, 21 and romeo plank...well, used to be when i was growing up.

To answer your question my newspaper add goes back in this month, you'd be surprised how early typically older people like to set up their lawn service. I got a call 2 weeks ago from an older guy for lawn servicing.

Now is the time to start advertising, really hit it hard in march, and as far as when I start mowing its usually around early to mid april.

tiedeman
02-05-2006, 03:47 AM
Do it year round.

dcondon
02-13-2006, 11:22 PM
I would start around the first of year for the next season. Don't think people are very interested before the holidays except existing accounts.:)

jtkplc
02-13-2006, 11:32 PM
Do it year round.

I agree...

dcondon
02-13-2006, 11:37 PM
I agree...

It just depends on were you live I guess. It's pointless in the area because people don't have much money.

procut
02-13-2006, 11:57 PM
I'm going to start advertising heavy beginning of march. Usually start cutting about the second week in april +/-

bigjeeping
02-14-2006, 12:57 AM
last year started cutting May 1st, guess I was a little late!

stumper1620
02-14-2006, 05:23 AM
last year started cutting May 1st, guess I was a little late!
No, You were'nt late, Spring was a little late.

mastercare
02-14-2006, 11:19 AM
Hi there, I live right down the road from you it looks like. I send out renewal forms to last year's customers end of Feb/ Beginning of March. About Mid-march through the end of April is my big advertising boom.

I think the key is to not put it out when everyon else does. Last year I was driving through a neighborhood sticking flyers in people's paperboxes. There were 3 other trucks doing the exact same thing on that Saturday. won't do it again....I want to be the onl one they see that day.....I'd rather do it on a monday.

Shoot me a message if I can be of help, seeing that we're neighbors!

smarino21
02-14-2006, 11:50 AM
wats up neighbor, yea i think that auto renew are the best things. ready for the spring when do you think we will cut u think last week in aprils ok/"?

cgrappler135
02-14-2006, 11:56 AM
I agree with mastercare usually mid march for big flyers push seems to have been fine so far. as for when to start cutting depends on the grass it self but theres always spring cleanups, mulch and aerations til it does grow.

mastercare
02-14-2006, 12:35 PM
I have cut as early as first week of april, and as late as beginning of may. You might even need to cut once in April, skip a week, then get to a normal schedule.

It's hard to guess the weather right now with snow on the ground! The trick is to start as early as possible (more $$) without having customers complain that they're paying for nothing. I've found that EVERY lawn is different. It usually takes 2-4 weeks until every lawn needs cut every week.

Happy mowing!!

Metro Lawn
02-14-2006, 01:29 PM
Just looked back at last year. Our first cuts were on 4/08, which were all commercials that include a spring clean up. Our first residential cuts were done on 4/24.

mtdman
02-14-2006, 01:39 PM
Speaking only from my experience, the most success I've had in advertising is in April. When I advertise earlier than that, I get little success. Every year around the end of April early May I get my most calls. In my experience, people don't think about it until the grass is growing.

I mainly advertise using the phone book, though, and only do a little bit of seasonal flyering, signing.

cantoo
02-14-2006, 08:33 PM
We find that in the spring most people wait until the grass is a little long before they finally realize the joe blow from last year isn't going to show up and cut the grass. Then they call in a panic so you want your name on their mind at that moment. We have even just drove our lettered up cube van around in areas that we want to work in so people see our name. Even at a decent speed people can see and read our number. Our van is noticable and memorable.
Be prepared to be cutting some long grass on these customers.

Groundskeepers Services
02-15-2006, 06:21 PM
When it starts warming up go out yourself if you have spring clean up's contracted and do them. Its also not a bad idea to go around in the winter and talk to a few of your favorite customers, let them know your still thinking about their lawns and are excited for the upcoming season. This can also work to your advantage because alot of the older customers want to bs with you for hours on end and thats hard to do in the summer because your on a go go go work schedule. I've also found it really beneficial to get into some type of a networking group, we use BNI. If you let other company's go out there and advertise for you it can save you alot and word of mouth travels a long ways, on top of that you can get a warm introduction to company head's or homeowners who otherwise wouldn't know your better than the next guy. Sorry if this kinda runs on, I'm really sick and cant really think straight.

bradd
02-25-2006, 09:39 PM
im brad 16 walker michigan im me at pimpsexytractor or bradlawncare on aol