PDA

View Full Version : Was I Raped by this repair bill?

HenryB
02-04-2006, 05:41 PM
I'm a little mad to say the least about this bill. I was curious what others thought of this price?

Hydro general service:Change spark plugs, oil, air filter, fuel filter,hydro filter, check and adjust carb ,tire pressure and grease.

Materials used: Oil, spark plugs, air filter, oil filter, fuel filter, hydro belt, engine to deck belt and (1) spring.

The machine is an Exmark Turf Tracer Walk Behind 20hp Kohler.
The grand total is $465.09.

What do you guys think?

JSMLAWNCARE
02-04-2006, 05:47 PM
That sound to me like it is double of what it should be. Just making a guess it would cost about $100 - $150 to do that your self

Tadams
02-04-2006, 05:50 PM
Did you get kissed? Any lube?

All those things that they did are easy maintenance tasks that you can do yourself. The only money that you should have in it was the parts and about and hour- maybe hour & a half.

BobR
02-04-2006, 06:01 PM
OUCH - Well at least you have a nice 'maintenance' tax write off. As said previously YOU could have done most if not all of those items yourself and if you are a bit mechanically challenged you could have read your instruction manual where most maintenance procedures are outlined.

Lesson Learned - use the dealer for the SERIOUS STUFF.

BobR

newz7151
02-04-2006, 06:04 PM
Do you cut grass, trim hedges, weed eat for free?

Also, you didn't break that down.

Let's see..

hydro belt, about $17
deck drive belt, about $22
fuel filter, about $7
Oil, probably around $7
spark plugs, probably around $6
air filter, probably around $15, or is that the high capacity one?
oil filter, probably around $9
hydro filter (i assume this was done too) $17
(1) spring (you didn't specify which one)
grease, unknown amount, usually falls under "shop supplies"

time to remove and adjust carb.

Hmm.. does it break the labor down? Cause that does still seem like alot

CHRIS MELROSE
02-04-2006, 06:06 PM
How are the bandages on your ankles doing?

G.M.Landscaping
02-04-2006, 06:16 PM
$150 in parts leaves $315 in labor. 315/ $45 an hour labor = 7 hrs.
Should only take 2 hrs max for any good mechanic=$90.

$90+150=$240
Yea ,sounds like you got taken.

rodfather
02-04-2006, 06:19 PM
:nono: raped ain't the word for it...more like martinized, as in taken to the proverbial cleaners IMO.

Remsen1
02-04-2006, 06:26 PM
Wow! I'm in the wrong business! That would have costed me about $125 and would have taken around 2 hours.

echovalley
02-04-2006, 06:29 PM
In this business you need to be able to repair and service minor things on your equipment.You could have done it yourself for about $85.00.But hey live and learn

hole in one lco
02-04-2006, 06:29 PM
Do you cut grass, trim hedges, weed eat for free?

Also, you didn't break that down.

Let's see..

hydro belt, about $17
deck drive belt, about $22
fuel filter, about $7
Oil, probably around $7
spark plugs, probably around $6
air filter, probably around $15, or is that the high capacity one?
oil filter, probably around $9
hydro filter (i assume this was done too) $17
(1) spring (you didn't specify which one)
grease, unknown amount, usually falls under "shop supplies"

time to remove and adjust carb.

Hmm.. does it break the labor down? Cause that does still seem like alot
dame i dont know where you get your parts from but you are getting raped. I get all my parts from lesco at a better price then that

Edgewater
02-04-2006, 06:37 PM
Yeah thats high. In canada, the parts are very high. Factory belts run like 40 to 60 bucks, oil filters 15 etc. Even at that, max 200 in parts plus 1.5 hrs @ 55/H is 275-300. plus tax.

I think your dealer thinks he is servicing fine italian sports cars, not mowers that work to earn thier keep.

HenryB
02-04-2006, 06:38 PM
I've done all those things before. But I wanted to try out this dealer and figured I'd give him a try, see what kind of work he does, pricing etc. My other unit was just basic service (I supplied the hydro filter and oil). That bill was $283.01. It's a shame this guy could have made a lot of money from me, being fair; now I'll never go back again and I 've got a boatload of friends in the biz. My nephew is starting in the biz (just got his loans approved) and I was looking to buy one or two ZTR's this spring.
My next question is should I confront this guy or just let it go.

DLS1
02-04-2006, 06:40 PM
Seems I see this type of thread every few weeks where people are surprised how much soemthing cost them.

I got to ask, didn't you get an estimate BEFORE you had the work done?

rodfather
02-04-2006, 06:40 PM
Personally, I'd ask how he came up to that total.

LwnmwrMan22
02-04-2006, 07:08 PM
I don't think it's that far out of line.

You guys quoting $45 / hour..... you might want to look around next time and look for the actual sign that DOES quote / hour.

Everyone here says they need to charge at LEAST $60 / hour, and we have minimal overhead.

Imagine having a repair shop, where you have all the parts on hand, the building, the machines to do the repairs, the technicians that are trained to do the repairs, the electricity bills, the heat bills, the computers to keep inventory, etc. etc. etc.

Now I agree, it SHOULD have been about $50-75 lower, but that's what happens when you pay someone to do stuff that you can do.

Me personally, I'd still let the dealer do it, because I'd be out making more money. It'd end up being a wash anyways, since you'd still have the same parts fees, (if bought from same dealer, not online or other source) and I'd get paid about as much / hour as the dealer is charging me.

JB1
02-04-2006, 07:43 PM
It would probably have been a lot less but maybe hes been on here reading up on pricing.

afftandem
02-04-2006, 07:55 PM
did u get a reciept????

Does the reciept mention the man hrs... if so then u could small claims it...

You couldve also have said ""NO!!"", and refused to pay the bill.

Did he quote u a price??? How could u go and not have the price quoted to you???

SLSNursery
02-04-2006, 07:58 PM
Like Echovalley said - you'll live and learn, but while the machine was being fixed and taking up floor space in someone's heated facility with trained mechanics were you able to continue working? We maintain a lot of stuff, and send plenty out. Last week we were paying $95 per hour for a truck mechanic shop to do a job that would have taken us too long and prevented us from earning revenue elsewhere. Plus, they were looking for any other problems that might have been going on. If you have a good dealer he was doing the same thing for your mower. Yet, on some other simple jobs - like painting, scraping, cleaning, etc. we'll do it ourselves during downtime. It works out cheaper to pay the help all winter on project than it would be to farm it out.

You'll make that money back 50x over during the season. Don't give it another thought unless you could have done it yourself but decided not to and were sitting at home worrying about it the whole time. If that was the case, then sell the mower and go to work somewhere. Otherwise the next time do it yourself and figure out how much it cost. That would be the parts$, plus the time$. The parts were probably OEM, which mean $85 at Lesco = $105 at Exmark. The time$ = your hourly rate x the hours on the project start to finish, plus whatever revenue you potentially lost during that time. If anyone suggests doing this at night or after hours so as not to interfere with work time, then figure on time and one half - that's what it would be in reality if you asked a mechanic to stick around late. IMHO these are the hidden costs that most folks don't figure on at the end of the year when you are looking for the profit. At least you know what the fixed cost for yearly maintenance is. I have made the assumption that you have a good relationship with the shop and trust their judgement. Fortunately we have a dealer that fits the bill.

BENTLEY'S
02-04-2006, 08:27 PM
You are being sent a message by the dealer. He doesn't want to do minor maintenance on you mower. He wants you to buy a new mower every year. Keep looking for a good dealer. They are hard to find but they are out there.

Bentley's

Richard Martin
02-04-2006, 08:34 PM
:nono: raped ain't the word for it...more like martinized, as in taken to the proverbial cleaners IMO.

Just what does that mean? I've never heard that expression before.

Jpocket
02-04-2006, 09:28 PM
They 'C*ME' in your mouth dude.

cantoo
02-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Got anything else that needs fixing? I might even pay shipping if you let me bill the same rate. Those items are things you should likely be doing yourself like was said. As for letting them do it because they will be looking for other problems too I don't think so. They make money selling mowers not tightening a loose bolt.
I do send stuff out sometimes but not very often. I don't like thiese high bills either. I would prefer to learn how to service the stuff myself or sell it just before it craps out. Buyer beware.

rodfather
02-04-2006, 09:43 PM
Just what does that mean? I've never heard that expression before.

as in dry cleaners RM...a very old saying btw.

sheshovel
02-04-2006, 09:47 PM
Yep you got raped on that maintenance bill.It's not even a repair bill it's simple R&R.Remove and replace.
Labor no more than 2 hours MAX.$125.00 for labor
Hell what you paid for that is a good down pmnt on a new mower!

SLSNursery
02-04-2006, 09:52 PM
I am pretty sure that dealers make more money on parts and service than they do on the sales of machines. I'd like for a dealer to comment, but I would make my case on the facts between a few (3) dealers I know well enough to discuss margins. I would also reflect on my buying track record, which has included working with distributors and dealers to protect dealer margins which could not sustain any further discounts in order to be competitive. That is the distributor would step in and provide a discount or "program" to the dealer. These margins on equipment sales were significantly less than most people reading this would settle for in their own businesses.

My bottom line is that sure, for me and some others who might have the know how, and means that would seem to be a high bill, but if you got what you wanted, and you have reasonable expectations, then move forward.

While the rest of the guys who don't have big crews, a maintenance shop, or a mechanic are working on their own stuff all the time, you'll be out earning money, and hopefully getting a better price on the next new machine. I am very loyal to a couple of dealers, and get very good treatment as a result - on purchases and service. I might suggest that if you are uncomfortable with the amount talk to the owner, but don't take a position that seems like complaining, speak with him in hopes of learning what will make for a good relationship (not just you feeding him money and him taking it!).

kmann
02-04-2006, 09:59 PM
I'm a little mad to say the least about this bill. I was curious what others thought of this price?

Hydro general service:Change spark plugs, oil, air filter, fuel filter,hydro filter, check and adjust carb ,tire pressure and grease.

Materials used: Oil, spark plugs, air filter, oil filter, fuel filter, hydro belt, engine to deck belt and (1) spring.

What do you guys think?
Read the manual that came with your mower and do it yourself!!!

kmann
02-04-2006, 10:06 PM
I don't think it's that far out of line.

You guys quoting $45 / hour..... you might want to look around next time and look for the actual sign that DOES quote / hour.

Everyone here says they need to charge at LEAST $60 / hour, and we have minimal overhead.

Imagine having a repair shop, where you have all the parts on hand, the building, the machines to do the repairs, the technicians that are trained to do the repairs, the electricity bills, the heat bills, the computers to keep inventory, etc. etc. etc.

Now I agree, it SHOULD have been about $50-75 lower, but that's what happens when you pay someone to do stuff that you can do.

Me personally, I'd still let the dealer do it, because I'd be out making more money. It'd end up being a wash anyways, since you'd still have the same parts fees, (if bought from same dealer, not online or other source) and I'd get paid about as much / hour as the dealer is charging me.

Thats what happens when you pay someone to do the stuff you can do?

WHAT: Like mow their own lawn?

chuck bow
02-04-2006, 11:34 PM
local Scag dealer is running a preseason special doing just that ( all above maint including changing all fluids and filters ect and even washing the unit ) and charging 96 bucks for walks and 145.00 for turf tigers with FREE pick up and delivery so it sounds like you got taken bigtime

M RASCOE&SONS
02-05-2006, 12:23 AM
i wouldnt go there for service anymore,that is double plus what it should have cost..

Cobra Jock
02-05-2006, 12:42 AM
I've done all those things before. But I wanted to try out this dealer and figured I'd give him a try, see what kind of work he does, pricing etc. My other unit was just basic service (I supplied the hydro filter and oil). That bill was $283.01. It's a shame this guy could have made a lot of money from me, being fair; now I'll never go back again and I 've got a boatload of friends in the biz. My nephew is starting in the biz (just got his loans approved) and I was looking to buy one or two ZTR's this spring.
My next question is should I confront this guy or just let it go.
Dealers love it when someone asks them to "adjust" their carb. They will charge you thru the roof and the only thing they did, if you're real lucky and at a good dealer, is throw a tach on it and set the idle. All the other stuff was easy and should have been done by you IMO. If you ask him why it was so much I bet he will say the carb was super gummed up and "it took awhile!:dizzy: payup

Greg

mslawn
02-05-2006, 01:41 AM
You got reamed - I figured up that that would cost around $250.00 max at the dealer I do business with.:blob4:

newz7151
02-05-2006, 01:48 AM
dame i dont know where you get your parts from but you are getting raped. I get all my parts from lesco at a better price then that

Does your Lesco dealer sell you genuine Exmark replacement parts? The prices I was quoting are for original equipment. Not the automotive belt you buy at your local NAPA and stick on your red YardMachines..

impactlandscaping
02-05-2006, 01:51 AM
Be sure to get one of those little rubber doughnuts to sit on for a week or two.

tiedeman
02-05-2006, 02:29 AM
Sounds more like the bill should have been around $250. (I am just guessing $100 in labor, and $150 in parts). I am pricing the parts high though.

hole in one lco
02-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Does your Lesco dealer sell you genuine Exmark replacement parts? The prices I was quoting are for original equipment. Not the automotive belt you buy at your local NAPA and stick on your red YardMachines..
no they sell genuine lesco parts at a quarter of the price your paying:p

TURFLORD
02-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Your dealer could have at least bought you dinner first. :eek:

Likestomow
02-05-2006, 09:30 AM

What do you guys think?

Well Henry, all I can figure is that you aren't too good with doing maintenance chores. That is an older machine... is this the first time you had someone else work on it for you?

I suggest next time you find a friend who can turn a wrench and ask him (or her) to help you. You will learn that it is not really all that hard to do 95% of this stuff. Buy the parts at a local discounter and keep a record of the part numbers for future reference.

Taking the carb apart may be a bit of a stretch, but if you have someone do it while you watch, you'll see that too isn't very hard. You just have to watch carefully how everything came apart so you can re-assemble correctly.

Remember, you are not too old (or young) to learn. I taught my dad how to change the oil in his car when he was 45 and he loved doing it himself from then on. Doing mechanical things yourseld around the shop or house will give you satisfaction in knowing they were done right and that you saved some dough.