PDA

View Full Version : my wife

champion
04-12-2001, 10:00 PM
I was wondering if any one out there had the same problem as i do. my wife HATES my manager. It's all do to his personal life I try to tell her to stay out of his life but she cant she does not say anything to him. she just makes my life HELL any input would be great.

Stonehenge
04-13-2001, 12:27 AM
Champion,

I'm not sure that this is an 'element of business.' Also, I don't think anyone here should be giving you advice about how to interact with your wife.

I will say this - if you were a close friend, I'd give you a simple, straightforward answer.

But because I don't know you or your wife, you're on your own.

John Allin
04-13-2001, 01:30 AM
She may perceive your manager as a threat to her.
If she is in the biz with you, and if you are a sole prop, depending on the state - she may be an equal partner (like it or not).
My wife is in the biz with me full time. I find that her "instincts" about people are quite good. While I don't listen to her all the time, I do value her input. Sometimes they see things we won't (or can't). However, sometimes she irritates the living bejesis out of me too.

Still love her, though.

I'm not defending your wife - far from it.... just adding some input.

lawnman_scott
04-13-2001, 01:35 AM
My wife stays out of the business, i had it before i had her and i guess she knows i know how to run it. other than that she says jump i say how high. lol

Mike Nelson
04-14-2001, 06:01 PM
I agree it is hard to give advice on what to tell your wife.Maybe you can come to some sort of compromise,I think all of us go through this at some point.
I also agree with John,as much as we sometimes hate to admit it,our wives see things that we don't.
I give anybody credit that works with there spouse.

Good Luck

Getmow
04-14-2001, 07:16 PM
The others are lying they can't say anything to their wives either!LOL. Seriously, You are the only one that can handle your wife. If she is a business partner then listen and decide. If not tell the to MYOB.

SCL
04-15-2001, 11:01 AM
I'll disagree with Stone on this one, this is as much an element of your business as any dealing with the IRS. They both can make your life miserable if they want, and you always feel better when they leave you alone :). Seriously I also work full time with my wife and so far it has been rewarding (was that okay dear?), but I empathize with you position. Good Luck!

site
04-16-2001, 08:32 PM
Divorce them both...just kidding. Ask your marriage counselor.

Michael Fronczak
04-20-2001, 04:22 PM
I'm slowly learning to trust my wife's instincts, I tend to hope for the best(or trust them to much) in people. I'll give you a perfect example that I had asked for advise about in the Snowplowing discussion area last fall.
He's some background. My best friend, was also supposed to be my best man in wedding, had approched me with a client list for snowplowing,(names, adresses, prices) from a contractor that had gone under durring the summer, a friend of his. He asked me to try to sell the work, to the best of my recollection, how the money was to be divided was not discussed, but my bus. name was to be on all the contracts. I sold the work to the best of my ability, got around 25% of it. I asked my friend how he wanted to get paid, what he felt was fair to divided up, and told him I needed proff of insurance(commercial auto at least). He said he didn't have the proper insurance, and wanted to add up all the plowing, what I had sold for him, plus my own contracts, plus his, and he wanted half or at least 45% of the total gross. He said thats what I had agreed to, I said no way would I have agreed to that. I told him to think it over, while I ran numbers, and talked to my insurance co.(he refused to get commercial auto, also his drivers went on his policy, he was paying them cash, & no worker comp). I got as many opions as I could, I was in a bad place, my wife said buy another truck, do the work, give him a little money for the referals. I decided against her advise, wrote a letter ot to the customers, stating he would be assuming responsibity & liability for the work & kept 10% for office & sales work. Now the damage has to be fixed guess what, he's not fixing it. To boot he bailed on my wedding 2 weeks before, needless to say I lost the friendship I tried so hard to save. I will more than likly end up doing the repair work,9
(eating the cost to save face with the customers).
To make matters worse one of the contracts was a HOA, that I do the lanscaping on, & was a 2 year deal that I now have to tell him fix the damages or I will write them a letter stating we are doing the repairs (pay us damage retainer & we will be taking on plowing for next year).
What I am trying to get at is I would have been so much better off if I had just written off the friendship in the first place & bought the another truck, plus I would have made more money. I'm learning.

Barkleymut
05-05-2001, 03:00 AM
Tell your wife that she needs to stay out of others' business. If it was her life to live then that would be different. It kills me when people who have flaws (we all do) sit there and criticize everyone else. Ask her to no longer discuss this individual with you unless they are performing poorly at work. Simple to the point and will hopefully solve the situation.

HOMER
05-06-2001, 08:55 AM
I would have to agree that the wives seem to have a 6th sense. Mine has told me 2 times in the last 2 years that I should keep my mouth shut when talking and trying to help other LCO's get started. I never listened to her and just kept feeding info and giving away what took me 5 years to learn. Both of these Bass turds have screwed me over so now I have to listen to " I told ya they were gonna do it"! I tend to trust people a little, no a lot more than she does.

From now on............the wife speaks.........Homey listens!

No more tips

No more conversations regrding my business

No more wanting to have a friend in the business.

I got here by myself so they'll have to do the same.

Look out world, Homers pissed!

osc
05-16-2001, 10:40 PM
Have you tried a good boinking lately? That may alleviate things for a while.

SCL
05-21-2001, 03:47 PM
Homey brings up an interesting point. My local supplier, whole saler is also a retailer and they ask me all kinds of questions about how to install and what tools I use. Contacted them about a paver splitter this winter and when they ordered it they asked how to use it. The next thing I know they're selling them to all my competitors. Free enterprize I guess. Wait til I give them my paver install recipe about screeding 2" rock for final base.