PDA

View Full Version : 48" 52" 60" 72" Scalping??

afftandem
02-04-2006, 08:03 PM
Will be mowing in Kentucky this year. Hilly everywhere...
Mowed in dayton ohio area last year, mostly flat.

I was wondering (from those who mow in hilly areas) how do the bigger mower decks handle with scalping in the hilly areas.. yards on hills are more slopey (even the ones u would consider flat)... not talking about the hillsides, just the general curves of the yards...

Are the bigger Exmarks better for not scalping over other brands???
Are walk behinds far less to scalp??? even from the same company?
For those running 48" wb's .. how much do they scalp??(on slopey lawns)
I love my 32" stander (rarely scalps).. but not efficient enough for these bigger rural lawns.
Would love to mow all mine with a 32"... And get a 32"velke mower... but once again, not efficient.

Ive heard a dealer say that it absolutley doesnt matter whether its a floating deck or fixed.. the scalpings the same.
Ive had a dealer tell me that fixed were less likely to scalp.
and ive read on here that floatings the best for not scalping.

Any reccomendations??

BAYOU LAWN
02-04-2006, 08:10 PM
I think you'll get scalping from just about any mower given certain conditions or terrain.

rodfather
02-04-2006, 08:51 PM
Well a 32" is a toy IMO...our 72' Toro Groundmasters will scalp, our Ferris 72" Z's with IS for the most part don't.

Green King
02-04-2006, 09:16 PM
Best non scalping 72" mower I have been around is an Encore Prowler. The 72" Country Clipper is not far behind it.

Green King
02-04-2006, 09:44 PM
The Encore and the Country Clipper both have articualting mower decks.

dcondon
02-04-2006, 09:49 PM
We have very few problems with our 60"s and 72" cub Tanks.:waving:

chuck bow
02-04-2006, 10:52 PM
I think all mowers will scalp some what with what i have seen in the field depending on the condition of the ground and the lay of the land but imho i think anytime you get over a 52 inch deck it only gets worse , i have a lawn that is 3 acres and is so smooth that i have never ever saw a scalp mark in this lawn but it is cut at 4 inchs also . i think maybe the higher the cut the less noticable it is but sometimes a 4 inch cut is a hard sell to some clients .

elshauno
02-04-2006, 11:20 PM
Will be mowing in Kentucky this year. Hilly everywhere...
Mowed in dayton ohio area last year, mostly flat.

Leaving Dayton? More mowing for me ...hahaha

mslawn
02-05-2006, 12:37 AM
I have no problems with 72" exmark - Demo them and see which one works for you.

Envy Lawn Service
02-05-2006, 01:10 AM
Well a 32" is a toy IMO...our 72' Toro Groundmasters will scalp, our Ferris 72" Z's with IS for the most part don't.

Best non scalping 72" mower I have been around is an Encore Prowler. The 72" Country Clipper is not far behind it.

The Encore and the Country Clipper both have articualting mower decks.

We have very few problems with our 60"s and 72" cub Tanks.:waving:

I agree with the above statements.
These are the big mowers I know are not prone to scalping.

My 60" Lesco is the same thing as the Cub. To be honest, I have less problems with scalping and gapping with it than the rest I own/owned... including 48's and 52's. And I cut some hard stuff from bumpy to rolling to holy cow steep. The only thing I ever have to watch for and try to avoid is taking divots with the anti-scalp wheels when cutting lower heights. The decks are heavy and do not float as easily and chain suspended decks. So I have to watch the transition areas. Those such as where you are making the last pass on the flat lawn and you have to turn into a very abrupt steep slope face. The front outside scalp wheel will hit and dig in. But I have learned to avoid this by using common sense.

So, I'm happy with the 60" and would like to try a 72" at some point. On the other hand, the little 52" HP is prone to scalping and gapping easily. That's one to avoid.

lawnrangeralaska
02-05-2006, 02:13 AM
Did someone forget to mention a Walker?

mslawn
02-05-2006, 02:50 AM
:confused: Whats a Walker? Oh yeah, its that slow yellow thingy with a hopper on the back? JUST KIDDING!!!!! :waving:
I see alot of them around, I've tryed one but it just does not fit my application. I would say that mower is a specialty mower only for certain applications. A ztr with a mulch kit - in my opinion - is more productive for normal day to day cutting.

Envy Lawn Service
02-05-2006, 03:53 AM

Hummm... got a point there.
Shame on us I guess.
We just 'assume' everyone wants a mid-mount.

Truth is, the frontmounts with 4-way floating decks could earn their merits here.
They have the big advantage for contour cutting.

However, there is one little way they can tend to scalp like crazy.
Want to point out what you have to avoid, or do I need to?

(oh and I wanted to also point out that Brad has improved the flex-deck setup)

lawnrangeralaska
02-06-2006, 06:56 PM
:confused: Whats a Walker? Oh yeah, its that slow yellow thingy with a hopper on the back? JUST KIDDING!!!!! :waving:
I see alot of them around, I've tryed one but it just does not fit my application. I would say that mower is a specialty mower only for certain applications. A ztr with a mulch kit - in my opinion - is more productive for normal day to day cutting.

Yea i rather have a big ztr with a mulch kit any day. When i lived in Texas all we did was mulch and side discharge. But because of the conditions in which i mow under are so crazy i have to bag 100 percent of my time. Athough Walkers are slow on 5 acre lawns but they really shine on lawns 2 acres and smaller, espically when there are hundreds of things to mow around. And you own two machines like i do. On my lawns the Walker in the end is the fastest thing done. And anything over 48 52 inch will scalp like crazy.

lawnmaniac883
02-06-2006, 07:14 PM
How about the lastec articulator, come to think of it, I dont see their sponsor link up top anymore...

WREBELMACHINE
02-07-2006, 05:07 PM
In a mid mount take a good look at Encore and Country Clipper because of the articualting deck! In a front cut look at Encore Grasshopper, Woods and maybe a Zipper.

Shawns Lawns
02-07-2006, 05:12 PM
i have a 52" and do not have any trouble with scalping.

Green King
02-19-2006, 06:31 PM
Exmark might be another one worth looking at in a front deck!

rodfather
02-19-2006, 06:38 PM
In a mid mount take a good look at Encore and Country Clipper because of the articualting deck! In a front cut look at Encore Grasshopper, Woods and maybe a Zipper.

what the hell is a Zipper:confused:

Green King
02-19-2006, 06:44 PM
I think that is basically the same machine as the ingersoll or grazer. Also I think Deines is the same thing. Not sure on that one.

rodfather
02-19-2006, 06:53 PM
I think that is basically the same machine as the ingersoll or grazer. Also I think Deines is the same thing. Not sure on that one.

Ok, the only ingersoll I know of is the company (Ingersoll-Rand) which is huge and does not manufacturer mowers of any kind. Now secondly, wtf is a grazer and who/what is deines I'd love to know???

J&R Landscaping
02-19-2006, 06:57 PM
sure he didn't mean clipper---as in country clipper?????

Envy Lawn Service
02-19-2006, 08:07 PM
Ok, the only ingersoll I know of is the company (Ingersoll-Rand) which is huge and does not manufacturer mowers of any kind. Now secondly, wtf is a grazer and who/what is deines I'd love to know???

Here you go Rod....

http://www.ingersoll-inc.com/index.html

Can't believe you have never heard of these.
These young bucks I can understand, but not you.

rodfather
02-20-2006, 01:09 AM
Completely new to me...then again when I was talking to Ferris's largest distributor in the US about the upcoming trade show at the NJ Meadowlands next month, I was told there are 52 manufacturers of commercial mowers in the US. I would have never believed it...maybe half that amount I would have thought.

rodfather
02-20-2006, 01:19 AM
Their website says absolutely nothing about their machines, no specifications whatsoever. The only thing I recognize on their only Z is how the deck pivots 90 degrees for easy access like Walker. This website almost depicts this company as building mowers in the basement of someone's home or out back in their garage...beats me:confused:

Envy Lawn Service
02-20-2006, 01:23 AM
Completely new to me...then again when I was talking to Ferris's largest distributor in the US about the upcoming trade show at the NJ Meadowlands next month, I was told there are 52 manufacturers of commercial mowers in the US. I would have never believed it...maybe half that amount I would have thought.

52? WoW! News to me too. Cool :usflag:

Envy Lawn Service
02-20-2006, 01:55 AM
Their website says absolutely nothing about their machines, no specifications whatsoever. The only thing I recognize on their only Z is how the deck pivots 90 degrees for easy access like Walker. This website almost depicts this company as building mowers in the basement of someone's home or out back in their garage...beats me:confused:

Yeah, their website sucks. But they have been around a long time. So they are oldschool and frankly they have stayed that way. I believe they were to Case what Cub Cadet was to IH.

Anyhow, they build a tuff garden tractor and they are one of the very few to still build them old school. They are the only one I know of that has a welded deck. There are some old ones still out there kicking. I used to see more of them years ago, but not so much anymore since the invention of the $1,000 disposable lawn tractor. But some of the equipment rentals still buy their stuff and I see it now and again... like the backhoe unit. I see those and the Terramite brand mini backhoes around.

bantam
02-20-2006, 08:02 AM
Zipper mower is Old School outfront, Like previously stated, kinda like old Grazer or Ingersoll unit. zippermowers.com

Never ever seen a unit in action, just at shows. built in Kansas I believe??