PDA

View Full Version : adding bluestone over cement walks

rmartin
02-04-2006, 08:20 PM
I have installed blustone walkways and patios before but this is a little different. A customer has a brand new cement walk in the front of their house. They would like to make it a little prettier. Can I use some form of adhesive or cement to overlay it with bluestone or another type of stone?

MarcusLndscp
02-04-2006, 11:40 PM
If the cement walk is in good condition and has a suitable base below it...yes. If it's cracking, heaving, etc means it doesn't have a good base and your work on top of it will be ruined. Make sure you clean it up real well so you get a good bond between the existing concrete and the new mortar. Go to your local masonry supply dealer and they'll set you up with everything you'll need.
Here's one of a bluestone breezeway one of our guys finished a couple wees back.

cgland
02-05-2006, 10:23 AM
Marcus - In that application did you bag mortar between the joints and point or just sweep in portland and spray it down?

chris

MarcusLndscp
02-05-2006, 04:45 PM
Bag and point Chris. The residue was wiped off after with a slightly moist sponge and in the spring the whole area will get a final acid wash to clean it up real nice.

cgland
02-06-2006, 10:34 AM
Is there anything wrong with the portland sweep? or does sweeping in make it a "less strong" product?

Chris

MarcusLndscp
02-06-2006, 08:05 PM
Never tried it have you??? My only thought would be that it would take quite a bit of moisture to fully saturate the portland that is in the range of what??? an inch or so deep? Would the water tend to run off leaving a residue over all of your stone from the portland? It just sounds like a whole lot more work and mess than it is to apply the mix right where it needs to go then point your joints. If you or anyone has thoughts on the portland sweep I'm not considering I'm all ears.

cgland
02-06-2006, 09:29 PM
The only reason I'm asking is that it seems to be a similar process to poly sand and I thought that several mistings would do the trick without causing run-off.

Chris

treedoc1
02-07-2006, 06:52 AM
I repair lots of jobs from other operators that don't follow simple rules when dealing with stone/non engineered products.

Dust base...dust joints.

Concrete base...mortar joints.

Dust base with a mortar joint....cracks from the heaving and movement.

Concrete base with dust joints...residue and dust tracks forever...or until its washed out or the mold and moss holds it down...or the water freezing in the cracks in the winter pops out the stone off of the concrete pad.

Just what Marcus said...bag it and wipe it with the damp sponge.