PDA

View Full Version : gooseneck hitch on a dump body?

CutRight
02-04-2006, 09:33 PM
just wonderin if anyone ever heard of, or if its even possible, to mount a gooseneck hitch on a dump body. im going to need a bigger truck eventually, within the next year. prolly GMC 3500 dually diesel, but id like to be able to get a dump body if i could and make the most of the truck. 10 ton gooseneck trailer for my shovel, and i like the way it distributes the weight rather than a tag-along. I would assume with all the dump assembly underneath there would just be no room to mount the gooseneck hitch.

I should prolly just go with a even bigger truck, 4500 5500 and trade in the gooseneck for a tag along.

Gravel Rat
02-05-2006, 12:11 AM
You can make a gooseneck hitch in a dump box but if you use a scissor hoist the hoist will be right where the hitch ball needs to be.

The other way you can do it is put the hitch ball in the box but you would have to make sure the box is attached to the truck well with a beefy subframe. You would also have to make it so you can pin the front of the box down and plus it will also take some of the strain off the dump hinges so when the trailer starts to pull back you have 4 points instead of 2.

Eclipse
02-05-2006, 02:23 AM
I have seen it done many times without problems. The biggest issue is the location of the GN hitch is not going to be a problem with your hydralics.