PDA

View Full Version : Aeration Question.

hobbsd
02-04-2006, 11:29 PM
I have had a lot of of people give me different answers as to how many times A lawn should be aerated with a core aerator. Some say every month, some say once a year. Can some one set me straight on this issue.

Also Ive had the same problem with dethatching, what really is the best amount of dethatching on a lawn!

Thank You

TURFLORD
02-05-2006, 08:54 AM
I have issues with aerating, so I wont touch that one. Thatching depends on the site. Stay off slopes and shady areas until you have to. Flat open areas every two years depending on weather, insect, and disease, etc. Remember, some thatch is a good thing. It prevents erosion and run off, as well as moisture retention.

rodfather
02-05-2006, 09:09 AM
It depends on the amount of traffic. A recreation field like soccer or football can be done once a month during use. A normal residential property needs it only once or twice a year.

PSUturf
02-05-2006, 02:57 PM
If you have a thick thatch layer or heavy compaction, twice a year would be good (once in spring and once in fall). I go over the lawn twice with the aerifier. A single pass with a lawn aerator only pokes holes in about 5% or less of the lawn.

dcondon
02-05-2006, 03:29 PM
Spring and Fall should be just fine. Sometimes just once wil do the trick!!:waving:

gslawncare
02-05-2006, 05:37 PM
aetating is really the only thing you need to do. 2 times. april and september. A Dethatching shoud be done as a last resort, when the lawn is really F'd up. If you do it at the wrong temperature, you'll stress it out and brown out. Thatch happens when too much nitrogen is used. Lay off the dope.

Of course if someone is willing to pay for it, just keep the temps, in mind and upsell the overseed.

Green-Pro
02-05-2006, 11:48 PM
I only do one for residential in the fall, typically that is all the lawns I service need.

6'7 330
02-06-2006, 12:16 AM
Properties that do not have a lot traffic and prone to compaction, twice a year works very good.To get the full benefits of aeration, turf needs on going aeration at least once a year, on non-high impact lawns.And as Rodfather said, turf subject to compaction,once or twice a month, moisture conditions permitting.