PDA

View Full Version : but mom, all the big boys are doing it... why cant I?

Brianslawn
02-05-2006, 12:18 AM
at&t-sbc-cingular-suncom

nextel-sprint

mci-verizon

pepsi-lays-dorritos-gatorade-quaker oats-etc.

mergers, consolidations, joint ventures, buy outs.

billion $$$ companies teaming up to make more money together, by expanding thier markets.

why dont lawnboys do this? mowing company + landscape company + construction company + chem company + irrigation company + fence company + dealership/shop + nursery or any combination of the above or other similiar companies working together or merging into one large corperation to broaden thier market share and increase revenues?

lawnman_scott
02-05-2006, 12:33 AM
Well normally when that happens they lay off people that are doing the same thing that will then be overlapping. And then a ceo of one company gets a buyout and stock options. So if you want to merge I will take a $400,000 cash buyout.

PMLAWN
02-05-2006, 12:43 AM
This week buy---Next week sell.

Why not us?? The minds behind this stuff are not about selling a product or expanding a market as much as it is playing with money and stock prices to make the profit. It is a bit different game.
And if you look at the late 90's the big boys did play this game.
Biggest problem is this is a dull, slow moving, service business that has little emotion and has to generate profits from production on the front lawn where these guys play with pension funds and emotion that moves and works on Wall Street.

Envy Lawn Service
02-05-2006, 12:51 AM
I didn't do all that crap above, but the lower paragraph sounds like my old business.

It did weekly services like mowing and so forth... applications... clearing work... landscapes... grading... hardscapes... rock, block, brick and concrete masonry... patios, garden construction and gazebos... doors,windows, siding and roofing... poarches, decks and pool surrounds... total residential remodeling.... new residential construction and metal buildings as well as other small commercial construction. Plus I also had a number of other outsourced services I could provide.

Basically, for me I started out doing one thing and doing it great. I hated mowing lawns back then believe it or not. But one thing payed the way to the next, and those two payed the way to the third, and so on. Once I got to a certain point, a ton of cross selling went on between crews. Many sites and many customers used multiple services and had several of my crews on their site or working on a job for them at some or different points.

I've taken sites from a patch of mountain side woods to a finished turn-key residence with all the bells and whistles, and contracted with the owner to do the weekly lawn work after the fact.

What a ride... it was more than a full time job just keeping up with what was currently going on, much less what was next in line. It was a heck of a business, with a heck of an income, and a heck of a lot more headaches than you could ever even dream of.

I miss some of the stuff and some of the work.
But I'm content to be a small fry now.
The most I'll do is sub something here and there.

tiedeman
02-05-2006, 01:22 AM
at&t-sbc-cingular-suncom

nextel-sprint

mci-verizon

billion $$$ companies teaming up to make more money together, by expanding thier markets.

why dont lawnboys do this? mowing company + landscape company + construction company + chem company + irrigation company + fence company + dealership/shop + nursery or any combination of the above or other similiar companies working together or merging into one large corperation to broaden thier market share and increase revenues?

if you are looking for a partner, I wouldn't mind teaming up. I would enjoy the warm weather down there:)

Envy Lawn Service
02-05-2006, 01:35 AM
Oh... forgot to add the "bummer point"....

Fact is, most lawn jocks don't have the financial resources to outright buy another sucessful company as a means of getting into that business.

Dont "but Mom" me.... :)

6'7 330
02-05-2006, 01:50 AM
Will the CEO or owner of the consolidation be tokeing a few? While he ascertains if his customers were paying his employees cash for services rendered.

JKOOPERS
02-05-2006, 03:19 AM
actually there is a co that does close to that TG Service Master owns them

tiedeman
02-05-2006, 03:55 AM
heck, I wouldn't mind joining Valley Crest if they contacted me...hint, hint

Brianslawn
02-05-2006, 07:40 AM
troy, it almost sounds like you need to get out of town. maybe you should come down here.

maybe employees will shape up a bit, if they feel they may fall in those overlapping positions and be the first to get cut.

just putting out some ideas. yes, tgcl-terminex-merry maids-service master-etc. is a good example.

Jpocket
02-05-2006, 07:41 AM
I think alot of the guys with smaller businesses, and in business because they want to control things and take 100% credit for the businesses succes $$$. Personally that is how I feel, but It's more along the lines of not having to "share" my business with someone else.

Green-Pro
02-05-2006, 08:42 AM
at&t-sbc-cingular-suncom

nextel-sprint

mci-verizon

Personally my goal is to grow into a large company encompassing many of the green industry services you've'e noted, hire a good manager, good employees, treat them right and drive the competition out of business. I never want to be an office boy no matter how large my company grows, I want to retain the flexibility and control by being in the field as much as possible. I know with growth this will not be easy or a practice I will be able to employ 100% of the time, but I feel it is essential to the longterm health of my company to be there as much as possible.
I wouldn't want all that is involved in running a billion $ company, i.e. total commitment of every waking moment. I will be content to reach the million $'s mark.
JMO

tiedeman
02-05-2006, 10:50 AM
troy, it almost sounds like you need to get out of town. maybe you should come down here.

maybe employees will shape up a bit, if they feel they may fall in those overlapping positions and be the first to get cut.

just putting out some ideas. yes, tgcl-terminex-merry maids-service master-etc. is a good example.

I have thought many of times of moving down south. I have a lot of family down there in Mississippi & Florida

steve45
02-05-2006, 10:55 AM
[QUOTE=Brianslawn]at&t-sbc-cingular-suncom

nextel-sprint

mci-verizon

why dont lawnboys do this? QUOTE]

How 'bout ExxonMobilBrianslawn? Or ConocoPhillipsBurlingtonBrianslawn?

Sounds good to me...

AintNoFun
02-05-2006, 12:15 PM
all the top 100 companies are always consolidating with other companies. a friend of mine thats high up in brickman says they have a whole dept. that does nothing but acquistions of other companies...

out4now
02-05-2006, 12:31 PM
actually there is a co that does close to that TG Service Master owns them
Bingo! don't forget Valley Crest. Maybe the next one will be Walmart? :p Seem to already be into gasoline and oil and you can do the credit processing through Sams. :dizzy:

Brianslawn
02-05-2006, 08:43 PM
[QUOTE=Brianslawn]at&t-sbc-cingular-suncom

nextel-sprint

mci-verizon

why dont lawnboys do this? QUOTE]

How 'bout ExxonMobilBrianslawn? Or ConocoPhillipsBurlingtonBrianslawn?

Sounds good to me...

sounds good to me, too. bp-amaco-brianslawn, too. i'll jack the gas prices up so high all the lawnboys of the world will go broke and only lawn company in world will be mine! i'll make bush president of company and we'll both make trillions!!!! ah hahaha ah hahaha ah hahaha!!!!!

troy, you want in. im calling W up first thing in the morning to get things rolling!

Brianslawn
02-05-2006, 08:46 PM
why dont lawnboys got enough money to make aquisitions? arent you all a bunch of highly succesful companies, or just a bunch of weekend warriors?

AintNoFun
02-05-2006, 11:35 PM
why dont lawnboys got enough money to make aquisitions? arent you all a bunch of highly succesful companies, or just a bunch of weekend warriors?

i think with all the money you'd spend on buying a decent business you can create with advertising/salesperson...