PDA

View Full Version : Extended tongue

PLS-Tx
02-05-2006, 01:26 AM
Is turning radius the main reason for getting an extended tongue on a enclosed trailer?

Will it cause more of a wind drag?

TURFLORD
02-05-2006, 08:11 AM
Is turning radius the main reason for getting an extended tongue on a enclosed trailer?

Will it cause more of a wind drag?
Most definitely, to both questions.

all ferris
02-05-2006, 09:25 AM
I think the main reason is so you can turn without denting the front of the trailer with the truck(jacknife). This is esspecially true for a dually with a dump bed on it.

Shady Brook
02-05-2006, 09:54 AM
It is a great option to have, and I will always consider it when looking at a trailer. On an enclosed, to me it is essential.

PLS-Tx
02-05-2006, 02:53 PM
It is a great option to have, and I will always consider it when looking at a trailer. On an enclosed, to me it is essential.

Do you have a enclosed trailer?

Shady Brook
02-05-2006, 03:45 PM
No, but I have studied them extensively. The standard tongues are very short and unforgiving. You may get away with it with a regular pickup, but if you ever haul it with a dump truck/ dually, if you make a mistake you will regret it. I have caldasac's where I get into tight situations no matter how careful, and I would have crushed in the side of an enclosed trailer without an extended tongue. They are so costly to repair, and that was another thing that shied me away. The option of the ext. tongue is so worth it!

Good luck

cantoo
02-05-2006, 04:15 PM
I build my own trailers and I always put an extending tongue on them. This allows me to jacknife to a 90 degree angle without hitting my truck. I can use my truck ramps to load and unload from the truck without unhooking the trailer.

beck
02-05-2006, 05:42 PM
It can also lighten the load on your truck not to mention the better turning radius and the clearance especially on enclosed trailers(I have one with holes in the front from the corners of the bed.)

Eclipse
02-05-2006, 06:05 PM
IMHO an extended tongue is a must on an enclosed. I would not order one without it.

UNISCAPER
02-05-2006, 11:54 PM
The reason we get 5' minimum tongue lengths on trailers is when you bull them with a dump or rolloff truck, the corners of the box won't crush the bulkhead of the trailer.

And then backing and turning are made easier.

PLS-Tx
02-06-2006, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the help, I'm will be pulling this trailer with a regular truck, not a dump or a dually.

The reason I was questioning the extented tongue is someone said it would cause more wind resistance than the standard tongue.

From what I'm reading here it would actually pull better, so I guess it makes sense to get the ext. tongue no matter what your pulling with.

Thanks.

Eclipse
02-06-2006, 11:17 AM
From what I'm reading here it would actually pull better, so I guess it makes sense to get the ext. tongue no matter what your pulling with.

I agree. It will also help resale and you never know when you are going to get a bigger truck.

PLS-Tx
02-06-2006, 07:47 PM
I agree. It will also help resale and you never know when you are going to get a bigger truck.

Your right, there is always the possibility that I could get a dually, although not any time soon my truck only has 40k miles on it and I hope to keep it for a long time.

Eclipse, have you decided on a trailer manufacture yet, I think you mentioned Interstate at one time?

Eclipse
02-07-2006, 04:46 AM
Still looking at Interstate and Haulmark. As much as I want to buy a Haulmark (the dealer is great and I think it will have better resale), it looks like the Haulmark is going to set me back $1000 more over the Interestate. I still have to sit down with Interstate and get a price quote in writing.

The Interstates are built in Michigan,keeping the money at home so to speak, and the Interstate dealer has been selling a lot of trailers to local landscape contractors, maybe based more on price than quality? However in my opinion they are both of equal quality.

If I am going to order a Haulmark I should order it by the end of the week because they are 6 weeks out on building them, Interstate is 4 weeks.

I need to get my **** together :)

PLS-Tx
02-07-2006, 11:33 AM
What options have you decided on?

RedWingsDet
02-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Still looking at Interstate and Haulmark. As much as I want to buy a Haulmark (the dealer is great and I think it will have better resale), it looks like the Haulmark is going to set me back $1000 more over the Interestate. I still have to sit down with Interstate and get a price quote in writing.

The Interstates are built in Michigan,keeping the money at home so to speak, and the Interstate dealer has been selling a lot of trailers to local landscape contractors, maybe based more on price than quality? However in my opinion they are both of equal quality.

If I am going to order a Haulmark I should order it by the end of the week because they are 6 weeks out on building them, Interstate is 4 weeks.

I need to get my **** together :)

Where are you located?

Eclipse
02-07-2006, 12:19 PM
Where are you located?

In the greater Grand Rapids area.